essays at uni?? (1 Viewer)

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
ok this is a dumb but how do u rite structured essays in uni? i mean, like it has intext referencing and about 50 million references and stuff about journals, i dnt get it, how can it be an essay if u use so many references? i thought essays were meant to be our own views? i've only ever done essays in english about books and this assignment is asking me to write an essay about something else - the subject is not english, so im a bit lost and i dont even know where to start and im so stressing!!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Dumdida said:
ok this is a dumb but how do u rite structured essays in uni? i mean, like it has intext referencing and about 50 million references and stuff about journals, i dnt get it, how can it be an essay if u use so many references? i thought essays were meant to be our own views? i've only ever done essays in english about books and this assignment is asking me to write an essay about something else - the subject is not english, so im a bit lost and i dont even know where to start and im so stressing!!
Most undergraduate essays are nothing more than an argument constructed through the arguments of a number of academics. It is your own view, it is just that you must support it with credible evidence (i.e., the arguments of an academic or two).

As always, just contact your tutor.

Last edited:

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
its about air quality, but like yeh im confused on this, oh yeh thnx natstar newayz i read it again and it says sources in course reserve plus additional sources with a minumum of 10 of your own sources, but so like do i have to use all of the course reserve ones too?

Generator

HSC
N/A
You shouldn't be penalised for not using a variety of textual materials... The idea is to use what is relevant (and academically proper), not a variety for the sake of appearances.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Given that websites (in general) are not academically proper, it would be the over-use of websites rather than an arsehole tutor, I would think. At least he made note of that so you would not make the same mistake again, though. Nothing is more annoying than a lack of feedback.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Here's a few hints for those that get stuck that can make life easier.

Your textbook already references relevant sources. Usually at the end of a relevant sentence you'll have wird little numbers, if you flip to the back of the chapter or book you'll see the numbers again and they match up to where that particular idea is sourced from.
Your Course notes reference relevant sources too.
If you direct quote you need to put in a page number, if you don't direct quote you usually don't have to.
Structure the essay to answer the questions and tick them off at the end. Say for example there were 8 parts to answer, do them in the same order and use the same headings.
Remember an intro and conclusion.
For those who get stuck about things to write pick a relevant sentence in your textbook or source, and write a paragraph on it. Some try to write a paragraph then find a sentence to back them up, this is harder to do.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Dumdida said:
its about air quality, but like yeh im confused on this, oh yeh thnx natstar newayz i read it again and it says sources in course reserve plus additional sources with a minumum of 10 of your own sources, but so like do i have to use all of the course reserve ones too?
The use of statistics, and supporting and contrasting articles which can be used to support your own argument. It's not hard to use references, the reason why they use it is so you are backing up your opinions, without evidence of your argument, then your argument fails to exist.

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Unless they are being specific and saying that you have to use books in course reserve. I doubt very much they would intend that you have to use ALL course resource books. Just make sure you use a variety of sources- texts, journals, web etc). i got picked up on this last year, I used all web resources except one text resource which was my text book, and I lost marks for my essay. Im writing an essay now, and all my resources are text lol, so ive learnt my lesson.
but waht if u use text resources from the internet? lol i cant find any printed text one's and all libraries are closed anyway, like u know them websites, they have journal articles on, some have pages from books but....will they mark me down heaps if i use EVeryThing from the internet? what if i just write that i got it from the book without writing the internet website, even though i didnt, would they see any difference? Coz it's still the same content..?

Generator

HSC
N/A
No. Only list materials that you cite, and cite the exact piece that you used. Play it safe, because the penalties for not doing so may be severe.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
No. Only list materials that you cite, and cite the exact piece that you used. Play it safe, because the penalties for not doing so may be severe.
That depends whether they want a List of References or a Bibliography

Also for journal articles that you obtain online but they also have a print version for, quote the print version. And use my tips to get more quotes and references, hasn't failed me or any of the people who have learnt the system. When you get really good you'll have more references than you can handle.

Generator

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
That depends whether they want a List of References or a Bibliography
I was only referring to a reference list seeing as though I have not yet encountered a single task that asked for a bibliography, so I should have stated that I was referring to a reference list rather than a bibliography. Thanks for pointing that out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)