• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Essays, how do u express ur opinion (1 Viewer)

sammygirl

HSC
we got asked to write an essay on:

"I am a man more sinned against than sinning", King Lear
Do you agree or disagree with this quote? in your answer refer to atleast 2 interpretations.

im just wondering how you're supposed to write an essay on your opinion of something when we were taught the whole point of an essay is to be formal, not say we or i, and make everything seem factual??????:confused:

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Essays still have to stick to the formal structure, but its necessary (and quite valid) at the introduction and conclusion to give your own answer (ie. "I agree to an extent.... i disagree... etc") involving first person language. But for the rest, such as the analysis, you must stick to third-person language.

*Might want to do something about the double posting as well.

Season

HSC
You don't have to say "I agree" or "I disagree" to show your opinion. The fact that you affirm it in your writing proves that its your opinion.

ie look at the following sentences

BAD
I think that the 1996 Disney film successfully updates Victor Hugo's 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' to make it appropiate for contemporary audiences, while still retaining Hugo's core message.

Good
The 1996 Disney film successfully updates Victor Hugo's classic novel, 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' to make it appropriate for contemporary audiences, while still retaining Hugo's core messages.

Both are my opinion, but the second one is much stronger.

With yours write down your opinion and then cross out the words "I think", or "my opinion is".

G

Gavvvvvin

201055 said:
Essays still have to stick to the formal structure, but its necessary (and quite valid) at the introduction and conclusion to give your own answer (ie. "I agree to an extent.... i disagree... etc") involving first person language.

Dunno where you got that from.

Thou shall not write in the first person :mad1:

alexvincent

HSC
You should be able to write in the first person in essays. Academics do it all the time. It's just a rule that students get taught in early high school years. Just don't over use first person. Mix it up (control of language).

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
In the HSC you're allowed to use first person/I if there is an essay in paper one - "Journeys" but the modules paper as Gavvvvvin said
Gavvvvvin said:
Thou shall not write in the first person
(well this is how I've been taught).

Also your view should come across within the essay...and if you get stuck you could use the word 'one.'
:):)

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

Hmmm well from what Google tells me you can apparently write in the first person. I have still yet to see one done so that hasn't been written by someone in primary school and stand by my claim.

Sad Statue

Banned
HSC
In our extension class, we have had endless debate over this subject. Essentially, if the question asks you for your opinion, use first person in a controlled and intellectual manner.

If not, avoid it like twenty plagues.

Saintlexical

HSC
N/A
There is nothing wrong with writing in the first person, but if you have a look at Season's excellent reply about this you will notice that writing in the first person more often than not detracts from your statements.

Her advice is worth heeding.

write down your opinion and then cross out the words "I think", or "my opinion is".
Just keep in mind that you should know exactly why you are writing in whichever voice you are writing in.

All this is slightly off-topic though. To get back to the original question, your personal opinion is implied by the evidence that you give in your answer.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Sad Statue said:
In our extension class, we have had endless debate over this subject. Essentially, if the question asks you for your opinion, use first person in a controlled and intellectual manner.

If not, avoid it like twenty plagues.
QFT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)