Ethylene vs Ethene (1 Viewer)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Why does the HSC syllabus and textbooks address the compound as ethylene if it's IUPAC nomenclature is ethene?

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Why does the HSC syllabus and textbooks address the compound as ethylene if it's IUPAC nomenclature is ethene?
Ethylene is the old name and it kinda stuck, so you can treat ethylene as a common name.

It's like old (new), alcohol (alkanol), aldahide (alkanal), carboxylic acid (alkanoic acid) etc

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Ethylene is the old name and it kinda stuck, so you can treat ethylene as a common name.

It's like old (new), alcohol (alkanol), aldahide (alkanal), carboxylic acid (alkanoic acid) etc
Ah okay, that makes complete sense :) Thank you

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
They are both the same thing, just different names.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Old/new thing is not really true.

There's a common name, a systematic name and an IUPAC name (yes, IUPAC and systematic can be different).

The common name is generally used only for simple/common compounds such as ethylene. We say ethylene because it is easier to say than ethene.

The systematic name is often the same as the IUPAC name but can be different. It follows the naming schemes.

IUPAC is typically the standard when it comes to this stuff. Occasionally, it uses a more common name but typically, it follows the systematic name.

You should have a look at the carboxylic acids:
Common: acetic acid
Systematic: ethanoic acid
IUPAC: acetic acid

saysesame

HSC

In my textbook it says that alkanols are a sub-group of a class of compounds called alcohols? I'm so confused now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)