Ext 1 maths mark (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
As the exams have been getting easier its around 78% for 3u for e4 and 70% for 4u for e4

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
As the exams have been getting easier its around 78% for 3u for e4 and 70% for 4u for e4
I also don't think using the http://rawmarks.info/wiki/Main_Page

which has BoS members posting up their marks a reliable source as it would be clearly bias , as these are the keen students.

From 29 scores I calculated, the average unweighted raw mark for an E4 in MX1 was 86.48% , the average unweighted raw mark for an E4 in MX2 from 23 students was 80.03%

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

which has BoS members posting up their marks a reliable source as it would be clearly bias , as these are the keen students.

From 29 scores I calculated, the average unweighted raw mark for an E4 in MX1 was 86.48% , the average unweighted raw mark for an E4 in MX2 from 23 students was 80.03%
yeah it doesn't give a good mean..but it tells you what raw mark is requires for certain aligned marks.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
From etut.com (another tutoring company)

" In recent years the cut-off for Mathematics Extension 2 was 70 to 80 out of 120 so if a student’s raw exam mark was greater than this then they would achieve band E4."

D94

HSC
N/A

How can you just average out all marks within a Band and say that is the average mark required for an E4?

When people refer to a mark required for an E4, they refer to the borderline mark, not the average mark within a Band. Your calculations might yield a closer relation to the raw mark required for 95 (since you averaged out all marks from 90 to 100).

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
From etut.com (another tutoring company)

" In recent years the cut-off for Mathematics Extension 2 was 70 to 80 out of 120 so if a student’s raw exam mark was greater than this then they would achieve band E4."
120marks was I think 2012 and before..In recent years its around 70% for 4u and 78% in 3u. Iirc it used to be like 60% in 2008 for 4u

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
How can you just average out all marks within a Band and say that is the average mark required for an E4?

When people refer to a mark required for an E4, they refer to the borderline mark, not the average mark within a Band. Your calculations might yield a closer relation to the raw mark required for 95 (since you averaged out all marks from 90 to 100).
Of course I'm aware of that a cut off is the minimum scored required to get into that Band. I was just performing some statistics as I was keen.

D94

HSC
N/A
Of course I'm aware of that a cut off is the minimum scored required to get into that Band. I was just performing some statistics as I was keen.
Fair enough. Although, it doesn't make the data unreliable. It might have bias (for what you wanted to achieve), but it's still reliable.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I am going to agree with you there, I reckon those marks are about right. This was posted by a Bored of Studies forumite who was good enough to tabulate rough estimates based on 2004-2010 results:

I found this link from a Bored of Studies link , which shows the projected cut-offs from 2004-2010:

But I will have a stab at the E4 cut offs based on what I have read for Maths Extension 1, I'm going to say its around 76% and for E4 for In Maths Extension 2 its around 68%. (From sources such as tutoring companies such as Etut, Matrix etc)

It's a mystery number that the UAC, Schools, Bored of Studies, teachers don't want to tell you. Reason being? They don't want the students to set that as their goal, otherwise it will undermine them, they will be more conservative in their approach to the exams. I've always been a guy that likes to set goals, as it gives me something to aim for. Of course a good student will allow themselves that extra +10% push, i.e aim for an 85% in MX1 and aim for a 80% or so in MX2, just in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I am going to agree with you there, I reckon those marks are about right. This was posted by a Bored of Studies forumite who was good enough to tabulate rough estimates based on 2004-2010 results:

I found this link from a Bored of Studies link , which shows the projected cut-offs from 2004-2010:

But I will have a stab at the E4 cut offs based on what I have read for Maths Extension 1, I'm going to say its around 76% and for E4 for In Maths Extension 2 its around 68%. (from tutoring companies such as Etut, Matrix etc)

It's a mystery number that the UAC, Schools, Bored of Studies, teachers don't want to tell you. Reason being? They don't want the students to set that as their goal, otherwise it will undermine them, they will be more conservative in their approach to the exams. I've always been a guy that likes to set goals, as it gives me something to aim for. Of course a good student will allow themselves that extra +10% push, i.e aim for an 85% in MX1 and aim for a 80% or so in MX2, just in case something goes wrong.
When I first saw the cut offs I had set them as bare minimum.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Just curious, why are you interested in this stuff anyways?
I just wanted to know what the benchmark mark I should aim for , as I do a bit of Maths Extension tutoring with a couple of students that I have. As a tutor especially on 1-on-1 scenario you have to be more knowledgeable than them. A Year 12 girl who I tutored got 26/30 in a recent test but I still feel a part of the blame goes on me for not getting here those extra marks , despite giving her alot of resources and what not. Here I was thinking 24 hours ago, that kind of mark would have been 'unacceptable' but now I am a bit clearer in that mind that if she maintains that level in a HSC exam, that will be more than acceptable. It's a big difference in the way of thinking if you know what I mean. (86.7% is unacceptable v 86.7% is more than acceptable)

An E4 should be the goal of every student enrolled in that subject.

RyanT7

HSC
I just wanted to know what the benchmark mark I should aim for , as I do a bit of Maths Extension tutoring with a couple of students that I have. As a tutor especially on 1-on-1 scenario you have to be more knowledgeable than them. A Year 12 girl who I tutored got 26/30 in a recent test but I still feel a part of the blame goes on me for not getting here those extra marks , despite giving her alot of resources and what not. Here I was thinking 24 hours ago, that kind of mark would have been 'unacceptable' but now I am a bit clearer in that mind that if she maintains that level in a HSC exam, that will be more than acceptable. It's a big difference in the way of thinking if you know what I mean. (86.7% is unacceptable v 86.7% is more than acceptable)

An E4 should be the goal of every student enrolled in that subject.
I suggest you check out D94's raw marks database

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I suggest you check out D94's raw marks database
I have seen it, its pretty handy but no doubt there would be a slight bias because 1) Those would be students that were more study orientated 2) Students who excelled were more keen to post in their results. I calculated the average means of those who submitted their grades from that website for MX1 86.48% and MX2 were 80.48% which were obviously alot higher than the projected estimates off other tutoring companies, general consensus on the forum here.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
The statistic , if i was working for UAC or Board of Studies, whoever controls the raw mark +moderation process would be, I would be most keen on how to work out what the raw scores Descriptive Statistics for the percentile scores of the E4 distribution (Minimum, P25, median, P75, Maximum) would be.

Im going to have a guess and say the median scores percentage wise would be around: a mark of 85% for MX1 and 78% for MX2. (I've considered that the minimum cut off for an E4 for MX1 and MX2 should be around the 76% and 68% mark respectively )

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
To keep things simple my research on the HSC marks tonight (based on my theory and research) my predictions are as following:

MINIMUM CUT-OFF FOR E4
Maths Extension 1 76%
Maths Extension 2 68%

MEDIAN SCORE in the E4 Cohort:
Maths Extension 1 85%
Maths Extension 2 78%

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)