Extended response science? (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What did you guys write there? The way it worded "impacts on the environment" made me think it was looking more for negatives, so i just wrote a small bit on positives (reduced green house effect) and then said that the negatives were that the lower amount of carbon emitted negatively impacts the carbon cycle which in turn also reduces the amount of oxygen.

I also mentioned that nuclear fission produces waste which is hard to dispose of, nuclear fusion would (if it was usable) reduce sea levels over a long time and that solar and wind energy farms may require land to be used which was previously inhabited by animals which could disrupt the food web.

Not sure if my answers are good enough though :(

alex_barca

HSC
I started writing about how uranium is safe to the environment compared to fossil fuels.

And i also talked abit about solar and wind energy.

I only wrote about 4-5 lines though, lol.

occer

HSC
N/A
I said that it was good because it lessened the greenhouse effect -> global warming but they can negatively impact the environment due to Nuclear waste and wind turbines giving off noise pollution (which was a bit of a stretch but meh).

You did fine.

heirware

HSC
I also mentioned that nuclear fission produces waste which is hard to dispose of, nuclear fusion would (if it was usable) reduce sea levels over a long time and that solar and wind energy farms may require land to be used which was previously inhabited by animals which could disrupt the food web.

Not sure if my answers are good enough though :(

wait what?

FTW

HSC
I put fossil fuels emit CO2 and the others don't however nuclear has waste which is hard to dispose. I also meantioned geothermal and how it, solar and wind have no harmful products leading to a better environment. I also mentioned stuff about greenhouse gases and other stuff.

invisibleears

HSC
I put fossil fuels emit CO2 and the others don't however nuclear has waste which is hard to dispose. I also meantioned geothermal and how it, solar and wind have no harmful products leading to a better environment. I also mentioned stuff about greenhouse gases and other stuff.
Yep, pretty much what I wrote. I wrote a little on hydroelectricity too.

Cee.

HSC
Damn. Reading the replies here makes me worried about my extended response. I talked about the nuclear energy, how it doesn't give off carbon dioxide but it can have a large impact on the environment because of its disposal methods. Also talked about solar and wind energy and how it's renewable.

Eh, who cares. I'm not doing science next year.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Damn. Reading the replies here makes me worried about my extended response. I talked about the nuclear energy, how it doesn't give off carbon dioxide but it can have a large impact on the environment because of its disposal methods. Also talked about solar and wind energy and how it's renewable.

Eh, who cares. I'm not doing science next year.
Remember that almost everybody who posts in this forum is likely to be in the top 20-30% odd of the state. The quality of responses from people on here is likely to be much higher than the average response from everyone else.

miss giggles

HSC
for the long essay, i only spoke about nuclear energy and all the positive and negative impacts on the environment, though i didn't mention any other type of renewable energy do you think i'll lose marks even if i thoroughly spoke about positive and negative environmental pronblems

firstneg

HSC
i said how uranium 238 still needs to be mined and this has an adverse affect on the environment through things like erosion because of open cut mining and about disposal of the nuclear waste. also that wind and solar rely on the elements which are not always stable for electricity production so some forms of other electricity would be needed. Also about the impact of the infrastructure on the earth?
I concluded by saying that when managed correctly all three sources are beneficial in the slowing down of climate change. Ah at the start i also said how they don't emit CO2 or SO2..
lol

dinosaurtomatoe

HSC
N/A
I wrote

- Alternative energy leads to less carbon in the air
- less carbon = slower enhanced greenhouse effect
- less enhanched greenhouse effect = less global warming
- global warming is bad becasue....................
- CO2 in the air also causes acid rain
- Acid rain is bad because....................
- Solar and Wind don't require mining
-Mining = bad because..................

spriinkles

HSC
i didnt understand half of what was in your original post
so im pretty sure you aced it!

cocotinker

HSC
Any one who did engineering as an elective would ace this question well i hope i aced this question alternate energy aims at reducing carbon emissions by 100% so no co2 production therfore no enhanced greehouse effect. with that amount of ener4gy we could use effective solar or electric powered cars and you just had to crap on about other stuff for the rest

firstneg

HSC
Any one who did engineering as an elective would ace this question well i hope i aced this question alternate energy aims at reducing carbon emissions by 100% so no co2 production therfore no enhanced greehouse effect. with that amount of ener4gy we could use effective solar or electric powered cars and you just had to crap on about other stuff for the rest
you couldn't really ace the question if all you did was roll out figures from a subject that was not science and then not actually evaluate the environmental impacts...

jeivishnu

HSC
1 mark: define fossil fuels
2 marks: define renewable sources of energy
3 marks: outline fossil fuels
4 marks: outline renewable sources of energy
5 marks: environmental positive of switching
6 marks: environmental disadvantage of swapping.
7 marks: Judgement

if you did this you should get the marks

firstneg

HSC
1 mark: define fossil fuels
2 marks: define renewable sources of energy
3 marks: outline fossil fuels
4 marks: outline renewable sources of energy
5 marks: environmental positive of switching
6 marks: environmental disadvantage of swapping.
7 marks: Judgement

if you did this you should get the marks
I believe that you have made this marking scaffold up and I would like to say that it would be brilliant if this was all the criteria to get 7/7

jeivishnu

HSC
I believe that you have made this marking scaffold up and I would like to say that it would be brilliant if this was all the criteria to get 7/7
actually this is how they marked our yearly exams so i didn't make it up

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Lol, well it said IMPACT, so I sort of wrote the bad parts of it? Lol

- description of fossil fuels and non renewable resources as an intro
- geothermal energy explanation: and it's possible environmental impacts
- solar energy and it's environmental impacts
- nuclear energy and how there is no successful way to get rid of nuclear waste.

It was lucky I studied energy in the morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)