Extension 2 Mathematics - How much time needed? (1 Viewer)

C_Hanna

HSC
So it's back to school for us current yr 12's and time to go all out for our HSC. But wait! 6 students out of our 27 "studented" Extension 1 Maths class are uptaking 4unit. Ok so thats not bad, infact it's pretty good knowing that we come from the 'dropkick' suburb 'Banxtown' and we have a hell of a good teacher; student average being 94% but get this... We get 1, only one 2 hour lesson for extension 2 mathematics a week! Surely there's something a lil' screwed here. Is 2hours a week enough time? Does anyone else have similar methods at their school? Soemtimes I wish I went to St Mary's Cathedral... the school in which my name was down for since I was 3, because now I go to a school which didn't even make the top 600 of the state for last years HSC results.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
don't think thats enough. depends...how many extension 1 lesson do you get then?
i guess the teacher could go through everything really quickly, and you'd just have a stack of homework to do each week.
could work.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yeh, that was the time allocated for it at my school as well because Mathematics Extension 2 was treated as a 1 unit course so our periods were allocated as 3 units Ext1 course + 1 unit Ext2 course. Fortunately for me, our Ext1 and Ext2 class were the same with the same teacher, so when we fell behind in Ext2, we consumed our Ext1 periods to catch up.

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
2 hours a week is more than enough. We finished 4 unit a few weeks early before holidays with that much time each week. We even had weeks off during this.

But yeah, we got a stack of homework which we couldnt do in class due to time restraints

The Nomad

HSC
Pretty much have to do it all on your own...we literally had no 4U lessons :)

jet

Banned
HSC
We had two 1 hour lessons per week. That was enough.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
wow the nsw system is so different - i had 4 hrs of calculus and 4 hrs of applicable mathematics a week :D

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
lol, we had 12 periods of Ext 2 and 4 periods Ext 1 a cycle. Partly due to a lazy HoD that didn't want to teach Ext 2 haha.

So that's like 5 hours of Ext 2 a week and like 1.7 hours of Ext 1 a week.

It's supposed to be 8 periods of Ext 2 and 8 periods of Ext 1 normally (ie. every other year it's been this way) though. Which is like 3.3 hours a week for both Ext 2 and Ext 1.

Last edited:

sidereal

HSC
Uni Grad
our school always moves the classes around so that the 4u class (we only have one!) is in the same class for 2u and 3u with the same teacher. so we worked through most of the 2u hsc in term 4, most of the 3u hsc + complex/graphs in term 1 (there wasn't a 4u half yearly) and then for the last two terms we've been spending all of our 16 x 1hr classes per fortnight on 4u

i didn't realise other schools didn't do that o_O

DInfinity

Ad Infinitum
HSC
I think we have something like 8 hours of math a week if we happen to do ext. 2. Generally, The timetables we have ensure that we keep to the 1 unit = 2 hours 'rule'.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I currently have one 1 hour lesson per week. Although that'll probably turn into one 1 hour Tuesday afternoon lesson and a Monday morning one...

Nothing better to start the week than MX2 =P

dekimasu

HSC
ah, just starting mx2? doing complex numbers first? we did, and it lulled us into a false sense of security. then BAM conics and life was over.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Ahahaha lol ^

We did 5 30 minute lessons every fortnight. This might have been okay if our teacher was good.
Instead, our entire class is fucked, and only the people that had tutor and self-taught will actually pass the damn exam.
Stupid fuck, I hate that bitch.
I'm so screwed for mechanics and volumes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)