Extension English-What makes successful crime fiction (1 Viewer)

sarge1

HSC
What makes successful crime fiction is the assessment task our Ext-1 class has been given. It is is the form of a 5 minute speech. Im thinking of attacking it by talking about what does successful mean in novel writing and then what crime fiction is and then what makes 'it' successful. The last part is where i get stuck. Should i talk about plot or characters or....other things? do you think maybe taking a more personal view would be easier, as in speaking about what i think makes a good crime novel. Any thoughts?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
sarge1 said:
What makes successful crime fiction is the assessment task our Ext-1 class has been given. It is is the form of a 5 minute speech. Im thinking of attacking it by talking about what does successful mean in novel writing and then what crime fiction is and then what makes 'it' successful. The last part is where i get stuck. Should i talk about plot or characters or....other things? do you think maybe taking a more personal view would be easier, as in speaking about what i think makes a good crime novel. Any thoughts?
My personal urge is to look at the values of the general population to look at what kind of narrative may be composed e.g Poe works as a crime fic in the 19th century but might not be so successful now as it won't have quite the same resonance. This involves plot, characters, setting and pretty much anything else you can pick up.

So in brief summary, the things I'd be looking at (you might find a different route which is fine) would be:
conditions/context --> values ---> conventions --> resonance ---> success?

sarge1

HSC
wot do you mean by values and conventions? conventions as in plot, characters etc...

Lemon-Or-Lime

HSC
"While a set of conventions is at the heart of modern Crime Fiction, composers are judged by how effectively they move on from these to create brilliant variations, or to subvert the genre..."
this was part of an essay question we had to do. i think you should definately include some stuff on subverting the genre. because crime fiction is so convention based, if subversion and variation didn't occur, then it would be really boring. succesful crime fiction must be recognisable as crime fiction but also original enough to hold the readers attention. also, you should talk about genre, and how it reflects context - how the genre of crime fiction has changed over time, reflecting the world we live in. genre shapes the responders interpretation and expectations of the text.
a big thing in crime fiction is VALUE. why do we value crime fiction? why do we read it? mostly i think because of the whole restoration of order that always happens. it reassures people that even though bad things may happen, order will still return.
are you supposed to be referencing actual texts? if it doesn't say explicitly, i think it'd be good to still include some examples to back up your opinions. otherwise, your statements mean nothing without evidence to back it up.
pretty much, in every crime fiction assessment you have make sure to base it around CONTEXT, CONVENTIONS and VALUE. mhmm you can't go wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)