external hdd not loading up on laptop? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
the virtual cd drive(of the WD HDD) is shown in disk management and it has been assigned a drive letter.. BUT the actual drive isn't shown in"disk management" and doesnt load up in "my computer" and isnt assigned a drive letter
Try a Linux live CD, does the external HDD work there?

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
The HDD isn't dead, it works in a desktop but doesn't work in a laptop, therefore, the problem lies with the laptop. I'm guessing the laptop's USB controller can't supply enough current, a 2.5" HDD needs like 500 mA on +5 V DC and a 3.5" HDD needs like 1000 mA on +5 V DC.
This.

I had the same issue and with googling I confirmed that it is caused by an inadequate power supply.

Sometimes if you plug it into an alternate USB it will work.

I think for you to get a working HDD for your laptop, you will have to purchase a HDD that comes with the requirement of an alternate power source. These are usually like 1TB and over :)

Hopefully that helps you out a bit and sorry about the bad news.

HSC
Uni Grad
This.

I had the same issue and with googling I confirmed that it is caused by an inadequate power supply.

Sometimes if you plug it into an alternate USB it will work.

I think for you to get a working HDD for your laptop, you will have to purchase a HDD that comes with the requirement of an alternate power source. These are usually like 1TB and over :)

Hopefully that helps you out a bit and sorry about the bad news.
OP says the HDD has been working for the past 5 months and has only recently stopped working, this implies the problem lies elsewhere.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
OP says the HDD has been working for the past 5 months and has only recently stopped working, this implies the problem lies elsewhere.
I see.

What about this;

While it's plugged in, go into device manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware Tab), and right click on the hard drive (might be under unknown devices...the yellow question mark), and just uninstall it. Unplug the drive, restart your computer, and plug it in again. This will give it a chance to completely reinitialize.

blackops23

HSC
lol, a Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB (probably the fastest consumer mechanical HDD) only costs $59. Anyone who pays that much ($179) for a 1 TB drive is seriously getting ripped off.
Not related to the OP's problem, but HDD's are getting so fucking cheap these days compared to previously, SSD is now the future...

taylorj

HSC
I'm not sure if this has been resolved yet or not, but judging from the evidence given my initial thoughts were the HDD isn't receiving enough power to spin up.

There are a few things you can try:
- Test on every port on the laptop
- Do not connect the HDD through a USB hub
- Try a shorter USB cable (Longer and/or cheaper quality cables can result in a high enough voltage drop that the HDD can't spin up)
- Use a dual-input USB cable so that the HDD is being supplied power from multiple USB ports

The fact that it was working previously for the last 5 months, as stated above, does suggest that the problem could lie elsewhere. However, inadequate power supply shouldn't be ruled out and can easily be tested to help isolate the problem.

If the above doesn't work, do what ohexploitable suggested above and download, burn then boot a linux live CD (most distributions will be adequate). If we can determine whether the HDD can be mounted using linux (on the laptop) we will be able to more accurately judge whether the problem lays in the hardware or software.

the virtual cd drive(of the WD HDD) is shown in disk management and it has been assigned a drive letter..
I don't know much about the software WD use for their virtual CD drive, but it is weird that it is appearing in Disk Manager and the actual drive is not. Is the virtual CD drive appearing in My Computer? The virtual CD drive isn't assigned to a drive letter that is already in use is it?

To best isolate the problem perform everyone's mentioned tests and report back with as much information about the outcomes as possible.

proletariat

HSC
lol, a Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB (probably the fastest consumer mechanical HDD) only costs $59. Anyone who pays that much ($179) for a 1 TB drive is seriously getting ripped off.
^ QFT.

Also, try this:
Turn the computer completely off.
Unplug all wires from it (yes the charger aswell) and remove the battery.
Hold the power button for 5-10 seconds. yes im thinking its bios
ONLY connect the charger and turn the laptop on.
After you log in, plug the external HDD into a USB port you know is working
If it works, turn the computer off, unplug the charger, put the battery in and try again.

If it doesnt work with the battery - its obv theres something wrong with the battery.

Also try using a shorter wire / alternative wire.

Last edited:

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
i actually wana know if this issue was resolved, bumping

HHAuthority

HSC
N/A
I think it has something to do with the drivers and the OS installed on a PC/laptop because I have a 1TB external hdd and I have a hard time running it on my laptop which is a bit old but when I plug it on my girlfriend's laptop which was only recently bought it works easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)