extra-curricular activities (1 Viewer)

uglyskyliner

in linear style
HSC
does becoming involved in alot of extra-curricular activities give u that much of an advantage in your UAI?

I'm having a hard time getting into extra stuff like leadership in school but that usually involves going into a 'cat fight', coz everyone wants the positions. typical girls school. ><

opinions/ suggestions?

m_isk

HSC
N/A
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

that is all. :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
uglyskyliner said:
does becoming involved in alot of extra-curricular activities give u that much of an advantage in your UAI?

I'm having a hard time getting into extra stuff like leadership in school but that usually involves going into a 'cat fight', coz everyone wants the positions. typical girls school. ><

opinions/ suggestions?
lol...

well, you could try do extra curicular stuff outside of school, that generally stands out more than the stuff in school unless you were SRC president.

That said, this is absolutely nothing to do with UAI. It will, however, help with early entry applications and scholarships.

EDIT: oh yeah, and for med applicaitons

A l

HSC
N/A
uglyskyliner said:

opinions/ suggestions?
Becoming involved in extra-cirricular activites does not directly enhance your UAI at all. However, it does prove to be an advantage when applying for university courses and jobs. You can add them to your résumé.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
The idea of being involved with the SRC for anything but helping your community is stupid.

As for scholarships and early-entries, I'm planning on faking participation.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i have quite a lot..its on your school reference anyway :D

webteam
school newsletter
maths peer tutor
homework centre tutor
school grade sport winter/summer
knock-outs
coached a team
president of interact
prefect
participation in GALA days
Zone participation

thats all i can remember though i am sure there is more, but basically see whether you ahve any of that in your school, and see what else there is.

uglyskyliner

in linear style
HSC
thanks guys =)

Except i think including tutors and grade sports wouldn't particularly make u stand out. I was wondering if doing extra curricular activities gave you thAt much of a big advantage because i know ppl who get 96 and has done zilch (aside from study study study).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wrong_turn said:

webteam
school newsletter
maths peer tutor
homework centre tutor
knock-outs
coached a team
president of interact
prefect
Zone participation

thats all i can remember though i am sure there is more, but basically see whether you ahve any of that in your school, and see what else there is.
LOL Lez think I can say...Oh I did mock trial please let me study law

adambra

HSC
wrong_turn said:

webteam
school newsletter
maths peer tutor
homework centre tutor
knock-outs
coached a team
president of interact
prefect
Zone participation

You forgot one: President of the Wanker Committee.

FinalFantasy

HSC
uglyskyliner said:

opinions/ suggestions?
nah , i reckon these sort of activities are a waste of time...
just use ur time to study and beat those ppl doing these activities in the HSC!:)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha im part of the wayne kerr committee though ;)

i wouldnt be surprised if there was a wanker committee at my school, but nuh uh, not me.
adambra said:
You forgot one: President of the Wanker Committee.
and anyway, i was trying to help you see that there are many possiblities besides just the obvious ones. so why the fuck did you attempt to flame me you tool.

adambra

HSC
wrong_turn said:
haha im part of the wayne kerr committee though ;)

i wouldnt be surprised if there was a wanker committee at my school, but nuh uh, not me.

and anyway, i was trying to help you see that there are many possiblities besides just the obvious ones. so why the fuck did you attempt to flame me you tool.
Because anyone who actually participates in those activites and is proud enough to post them on a public forum is a wanker.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wrong_turn said:

webteam
school newsletter
maths peer tutor
homework centre tutor
knock-outs
coached a team
president of interact
prefect
Zone participation

Lets see if i can top that :p
Choir
Opera House Choir
Mock Trial
SCRAM
TOM
School Magazine
Formal/ Jersey Commitee (yrs 10-12)
Peer Support
ASX Stock Market Game
Coached this years mock trial team
ABW
Guest Speaker for ABW

I dunno if I had anymore...I was so busy with these...I dunno how some other people at my skool did it...they did heaps more than me

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
ASX Stock Market Game - how is that extra curicular?

How about you start putting real stuff, like charity work, volunteer work, duke of ed, sports team coaches, committees etc.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
ASX Stock Market Game - how is that extra curicular?

How about you start putting real stuff, like charity work, volunteer work, duke of ed, sports team coaches, committees etc.
Well I consider it extra curicular since it is not part of the curiculum....

I did landcare and lots of charity stuff with scouts....but I dont consider that extra curricular

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
pierre de courbetian if you recieve that award at the end of the year. only 100 are presented throughout nsw, or was it country... cant remember for sure...

we've had 4 winners in the past 5 years or something. but i think you have to be academic and sporting to get that award.

i would put abw with my one. might give me more credibility. showing committment in sport in years 11 and 12 shows committment to what you believe in. that might prove neccessary dedication to course work i suppose.

nwatts

HSC
I'm our school's resident smartass. Does that count for anything?

If I was an employer, and some kid came to me with a list of extra activities a mile long (with or without the inclusion of the wanker committee), I wouldn't be impressed, I'd think they were amazingly desparate, or have no friends. And no friends = no social skills = no teamwork. I'm not going to employ no Harry Highpants damn you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)