Farmers and the land (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Thread three of three -

Drought package encourages farmers to stay on the land

Farmers reject criticism of drought management techniques

Most farms remain viable: Vaile

It stands to reason that the Nationals will fight to ensure that all farmers who wish to remain on the land may do so, but is this a practical option? Should relief-subsidies be given to those who manage crops or stock on marginal land that is probably best suited to a different use (be it agricultural or not)? Should such subsidies be limited to those who manage their land, marginal or not, in a sustainable manner? Should the crops produced and the stock raised in particular parts of Australia be reconsidered in light of contemporary concerns and practices?

yy

HSC
N/A
someone will prob kill me, but i think it's unfair that farmers get all this assistance. maybe australia is just not suited for farming (esp rice and cotton which needs a lot of water). other industries have declined in australia, i don't see what's so special about farming.

K

katie_tully

No, Australia is not equipped for sustaining crops such as cotton or rice. This goes back to 100 years ago when one clown did it, had a good season, so then others followed suit. The number of favourable seasons for cotton and rice have been out numbered by those unfavourable.

You need to understand though that cotton farmers aren't the only farmers. Sheep and cow production, along with wheat, barley and oates are sustainable. The problem isn't that we've had a bad season, the problem is that we have had below average rainfall since 2000. Some say we need to manage our water better, and yes more needs to be done by certain farmers to ensure better water resources, but you can't plan for a 7 year drought.

The misconception is that all farmers mismanage the land, but in the area I am from many are turning towards organic practices. Many, like my parents, have planted salt bush. Not only is this plant drought resistant, it tackles salinity.
In the last 3 years we've had 3 more dams added to the property to ensure maximum use of water run off.

K

katie_tully

A quick note to those nay sayers who insist agriculture plays no part in our economy...

Crop production this year is at an all time low. This is everything from wheat and barley to cherries, oranges, grapes and animal production. This will be reflected in some months time on the price of groceries.

Perhaps you'd like to come for a visit to the country, yy, to see what is so special about farming. What other industries are you talking about?

gerhard

HSC
im guessing he is talking about manufacturing etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)