Fearing Muslim Lobby, Washington Post Pulls Cartoon. (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Gosford said:
wat r u guys sayin?
you dont have problems with free speech?
right nowtell me you did not mind when hilaly 'compared woman to uncovered pieces of meat'
i think that was wrong (I dont believe that)
but theoretically thats free speech?
u's were ok with that?
i think there is free speech then there is a time to keep your mouth shut and not to say offensive things
such as deragaotory comments against another sex, religion, race etc.
Yeah, I definately think that there are certain forums/situations in which it is entirely innapropriate to say certain things. For example, imagine if the prime minister of Australia got up before a crowd and said "Muslim women are psycho hose beasts and, as such, we should not respect their rights. Get your pitchforks people." --> april fools day or otherwise, this comment would be inappropriate given their position (as was the case with Hilaly) and its potential to incite violence. On the other hand if the words came out of the mouth of a bum on a street corner few would really care (offensiveness of the words aside) or expect much to be done about it.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Removing or censoring information is thought-control, yo. Thought control isn't cool.
But its not 'information' is it? Cartoon's of that nature are clearly not made for 'information' purposes but rather to create something controversial so that the papers can have some exposure?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Gosford said:
wat r u guys sayin?
you dont have problems with free speech?
right nowtell me you did not mind when hilaly 'compared woman to uncovered pieces of meat'
i think that was wrong (I dont believe that)
but theoretically thats free speech?
u's were ok with that?
i think there is free speech then there is a time to keep your mouth shut and not to say offensive things
such as deragaotory comments against another sex, religion, race etc.
UNAUSTRALIAN?
I dont think so
i dont think many australians like the freedom of speech when it is used in an offensive manner
they only support it with an agenda (i wonder how many were pleased by hilaly's comments?)
so think b4 you write guys
dont have a go at me
if u dont agree ask wat i meant (i was vague)
lastly
freedom of speech
eg. you say "i dont believe in god"
you r entitled to speak your mind
but i would have to clearly say that there is a point where you have to draw a line!
(I dont have problems with it in general, schroedinger, ok?)
And banco55
why would i have a problem with free speech just coz im muslim?
thats a stereotype there by you mate!
Why would i have a problem with free speech? its a major foundation of our western society. SO what if something is offensive, whatever you say is going to be offensive to someone somewhere. i might not have liked what Hilaly said, but i will fight for his right to say it.

You cant try and justify your stance by saying there are times when we should just shut up to not be offensive. Our society is in flux and sometimes some toes get stepped on, thats just tough luck.

Why should there be a line drawn? who is to make the decision where that line is?

Well i say no lines, say what you want when you want. Sometimes there will be consequences for your words, like a backlash from the community, but there should never be any legal ramifications for just saying something. [ and imo sedition laws are anti australian]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)