Fee's question (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
So e-student tells me i have roughly $5000 worth of fees to be paid by the 20th, im wondering if everyone has this, or just those who selected 'Full up-front payment of my student contribution amount'.

I had to select this in order to enrol as im waiting for my TFN to come through, once it does my payment selection will be changed to "Obtain a HECS-HELP loan for ALL or PART of my student contribution amount"

But what if i dont get my TFN and dont change my payment option before the 20th?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
ive paid mine (half of my units fall into national priority, and so are half the price of the other half of my units, which are in the most expensive band)

my understanding is, about 2 weeks after the census date (31 march), the fee is transferret to the ATO (Tax Office), so long as u gave them ur TFN.

So as long s u get it by then, it should be alright

tinfoilhat

HSC
So e-student tells me i have roughly $5000 worth of fees to be paid by the 20th, im wondering if everyone has this, or just those who selected 'Full up-front payment of my student contribution amount'.

I had to select this in order to enrol as im waiting for my TFN to come through, once it does my payment selection will be changed to "Obtain a HECS-HELP loan for ALL or PART of my student contribution amount"

But what if i dont get my TFN and dont change my payment option before the 20th?
nah dw i have it too and i've already completed my eCAF
it says somewhere that the fees will be listed until end of week two (i think) after which if you've applied for hecs-help, the government will pay for you

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
So as long as i provide my TFN and change my selection by march 31, i don't have to pay anything, yes?

tinfoilhat

HSC
So as long as i provide my TFN and change my selection by march 31, i don't have to pay anything, yes?

yeah you should be fine
if you've already applied for you tfn you'll definitely get it before the end of the month, from what i can remember it took 2weeks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You don't even have to change anything, just not pay.

The option in the eCaf form is only an 'indication' of what you're paying, but your status as paying full up front or otherwise is calculated as to your actions by the Census date, regardless of what you put on that application.

Changing your payment option

You are allowed to change your HECS-HELP payment option on or before the census date.

The Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form only notes your intended payment option. Your actual payment option is determined at the census date by any up-front payments you have made to your provider.

Example: Amy previously chose to obtain a HECS-HELP loan for her entire student contribution amount on the Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form. She now decides to make a full up-front payment. She simply makes the payment to her provider before the census date. She does not need to fill out another form.

You must check with your provider for any specific requirements for changing your HECS-HELP payment option.
Source

Last edited:

tinfoilhat

HSC
you know the 20% discount you get if you pay $500 or more... is that per unit or altogether?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its been changed to a 20% discount on what you pay, ie $500 will become $600 (120%) etc.

Full up-front payment with a 20% discount

This payment option is available to:

* Australian citizens
* the holders of permanent humanitarian visas
* holders of other permanent visas who are pre-2005 HECS students and are eligible for HECS-HELP
* New Zealand citizens who are pre-2005 HECS students and are eligible for HECS-HELP.

To make a full up-front payment, you must pay 80% of the total of the student contribution amount on or before census date for all the units of study with that census date. The Australian Government will pay the remaining 20% and you will never be required to pay this amount. You will have no HECS-HELP debt.

Example: Pablo is enrolled in 4 units of study, all with a census date of 31 March 2005, and is eligible for HECS-HELP assistance. The total student contribution amount for these 4 units is $3,000. Pablo makes a full up-front payment of his student contribution amount. He pays $2,400 (80% of $3,000) to his higher education provider before 31 March. He receives a 20% discount ($600) which the Government pays to Pablo’s higher education provider. Pablo does not have to repay the $600.

The following table outlines the process for making a full up-front payment to get a 20% discount.

Stage

Who

Description
1 Student

* pays 80% of his/her contribution amount on or before the census date
* receives 20% HECS-HELP discount on the student contribution amount.

2 Government pays the student’s provider the 20% discount.
3 Student does not:

* incur a HECS-HELP debt
* have to repay the 20% HECS-HELP discount.

If you make a full up-front payment, you do not need to provide your Tax File Number (TFN). However, you may provide your TFN as a safety net. This will enable you to obtain a HECS-HELP loan for your contribution if you are unable to make a full up-front payment on or before the census date.

Partial up-front payment

This payment option is available to:

* Australian citizens
* permanent humanitarian visa holders
* holders of other permanent visas who are pre-2005 HECS students and are eligible for HECS-HELP
* New Zealand citizens who are pre-2005 HECS students and are eligible for HECS-HELP

See also: Pre-2005 HECS students

You may pay less than 80% of the student contribution amount on or before the census date as a partial up-front payment. Payments of $500 or more will attract a 20% discount. Your provider will determine the remaining amount that you owe after the census date. This amount is your HECS-HELP loan for that census date.

If you make a partial up-front payment, you must provide your Tax File Number (TFN) on your Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form on or before the census date. This will enable you to obtain a HECS-HELP loan for the remainder of your student contribution amount.

The following table outlines the process for making a partial up-front student contribution payment.

Stage

Who

Description
1 Student

* pays less than 80% of his/her student contribution amount
* receives 20% HECS-HELP discount for payments of $500 or more
* provides Tax File Number (TFN) on the Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form on or before the census date

2 Provider determines the remaining amount that student owes after the census date
3 Government

* pays the student’s provider the 20% discount (if any)
* provides a HECS-HELP loan for the remainder of student contribution amount
* pays the loan amount directly to the student’s provider

4 Student begins repayments on the HECS-HELP loan when income exceeds minimum threshold

Payment of $500 or more: If you make a partial up-front payment of $500 or more by the census date you will receive a 20% HECS-HELP discount.

Example: Isabelle is enrolled in 4 units of study, all with a census date of 31 March 2005, and is eligible for HECS-HELP assistance. Her total student contribution amount for these 4 units is $3,000. Isabelle makes a partial up-front payment of $500 before the census date. Her payment, including the discount of 20% on her up-front payment is $500 x 1.25 = $625.

Her HECS-HELP debt will now be $3,000 – $625 = $2,375.

The Australian Government will pay this amount ($2,375), plus the amount of the discount ($625 - $500 = $125) to Isabelle’s higher education provider on her behalf. Isabelle will be required to make repayments on the remaining debt when her repayment income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.

Payment of less than $500: If you make a partial up-front payment of less than $500, you will not receive any discount.

Example: Justin’s total student contribution amount for 4 units is $3,000. Justin is eligible for HECS-HELP assistance. He makes a partial up-front payment of $400 before the census date. He does not receive any discount payment on his up-front payment. Justin’s debt will now be $2,600 ($3,000- $400).

The Australian Government will pay this amount ($2,600) to Justin’s higher education provider on his behalf. He will be required to make repayments on the remaining debt when his repayment income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.
Also, lol, I think they fucked up their example, not sure where they pull out the 1.25 % weighting seeing as its only a 20% discount.

Last edited:

tinfoilhat

HSC
haha thank you very much that kinda clears it up... i'll pay if i get around to it heh

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Should steal their kidneys...then I'll have moneys!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
"Hey, son, here's $8000 to pay for your first year Uni fees."

That's why.
I wish my parents did that, had to pay upfront with my own cash, fuckers.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i promised them i'd pay for a good retirement village if they paid my fees
Hahaha, how touching!

"Mum, Dad, I'll make sure they feed you more than once a day! It's a good deal isn't it!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)