Fenner Hall? (1 Viewer)

creamicandy

HSC
Hey guys,
I've gotten a offer at Fenner Hall (this wasn't even part of my choices I REALLY wanted Burton and Garran :spzz:)
and after browsing around BoredOfStudies
I get the impression that the location of it is really bad?
I was just wondering
Because its off campus, would I be missing out on much college life?
anyone here from Fenner?
How is it like?
Are there heaps of international students, undergrads?
and hows the social atmosphere, activites, parties etc?
thankss!!!!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I lived at Fenner for first term of my first year (I moved out because it wasn't really me).

Location: Yes it is 'off-campus', but it's really not that far. There is free shuttle bus or it is a 30min walk/10min bike ride.
College Life: While you will be 'off-campus' so will the 400 or so other people who live there, e.g. there is loads of college life happening at Fenner. Loads of functions on site, they compete in the various interhall competitions. The key difference is not being on Daley Road means harder to get lucky (and walk home) at another college.
Demographics: I believe Fenner is the most international of the colleges, approaching 50% internationals - this isn't a bad thing though. Mostly undergrad student level. Majority of residents probably in arts/similar courses.
Social Atmosphere: I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Fenner. The people are friendly and generally easy to live with.
Standard of Accomodation: This was pretty poor - especially compared to the renovated B&G - hopefully they have renovated it by now.

Madek

HSC
I just got an offer from Fenner. Very exciting.

Madek

HSC
Thanks for the photos! Not renovated...but it still looks better than some of the residences I looked at in Melbourne. I do have a question though, I'm planning on bringing my car and it said I need to notify them on some form I think. Will I be getting forms in the mail or something?

I'm very pleased that I haven't been shafted into unilodge like the people in the other thread...

Vernx

HSC
Hi guys,I got an offer from Fenner as well. It seems rather far from campus. Just wondering whether there are buses that are convenient enough to travel to campus? Or are bikes a necessity? Can I know how's the room as well? I read that it's quite worn out and old. Is it true? Thanks a lot!

sirquack

HSC
How come people are being accepted so early? Is it only for Fenner?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How come people are being accepted so early? Is it only for Fenner?
It's probably only acceptances for the postgraduate part of Fenner Hall/though Fenner may be the odd college at ANU that offers earlier than the others. What undergrad college/accommodation was your first choice? ANU has the guaranteed accommodation allowance for first years so the accommodation offers for undergrads are not confirmed until offers in January.

sirquack

HSC
It's probably only acceptances for the postgraduate part of Fenner Hall/though Fenner may be the odd college at ANU that offers earlier than the others. What undergrad college/accommodation was your first choice? ANU has the guaranteed accommodation allowance for first years so the accommodation offers for undergrads are not confirmed until offers in January.
Bruce. Yeah, that's what I thought, but I got a bit nervous there for a moment.:p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Bruce. Yeah, that's what I thought, but I got a bit nervous there for a moment.:p
As far as I am aware, Bruce has not contacted anyone for anything yet, so I wouldn't stress ;) You're just on edge because the college interview/offer process is much earlier at UNSW/USYD and slightly earlier at UMELB. ANU's pretty chill about getting around to the college stuff because they have to give all the first years outside Canberra a place in a college or the lodge part anyway to attract people to Canberra because the rental market is inflated by public servants (though who could resist the charm of lake Burley Griffin?). Get your results and then you'll be able to inform your college your ATAR and get all gung ho about it.

sod

HSC
N/A
Several residences have already offered places/interviews (Burgmann & Johns) but I believe only to students who deferred for a year and have confirmed with ANU that they will begin their studies in 2013.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)