file size (1 Viewer)

skool_angel

I was wondering whether we had to know how to calculate file sizes for the HSC?

because calculators are not allowed in the examination room!

If they tell me to calculate something like 1024*768*8/8*1024 i'm going to die the examination room! :(

del

HSC
N/A
nope, if anything they'll ask you for the steps... and explain.. ahve a look at last yr's paper, theres something about a calculation in it

Huy

HSC
N/A
the steps required to arrive at an answer

for example,

to calculate the filesize of a 2 channel (stereo), 16-bit sample, 44.1KHz frequency audio track playing for 3 minutes.

or they'll ask you to calculate the filesize of a film clip running at 29 frames per second, for 2.5 minutes, at such and such.

they could also ask about filesizes in terms of storage as well, or transmission of files based on file sizes (as was the case in the cssa trial).

be prepared for anything though,
all of the formulae are in your text.

del

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by skool_angel
so we dont need to calculate it
just know the step to find it?
correct, all you need to know are the formulas needed to calculate a specific file size (e.g. for a movie, sound file etc)

if they asked such a question, theyd give all the necessary info for you to apply/show how the formula is used.

huy's correct

Huy

HSC
N/A
so we dont need to calculate it
just know the step to find it?
sometimes they wont ask you to "find the file size in bytes, kilobytes, etc"

they might twist the formula around so you'll have to do a bit of manipulation/changing the subject of the formula.

for example in the 2003 trial, you were asked for the "time in seconds" rather than transmission rate, given the baud rate and file size in KB.

strictly speaking, this is more mathematical then "information processes" (which is the subject in question), so they'll be general/broad about it.

you'll never see something like:
"calculate the time in minutes, seconds (or degrees :p) that a 24 fps video file is able to be shown, given that the sample rate, sample size, etc are such and such"

all you'll be required to do is to re-quote formulae as given in the text.

so you'll have:
file size = time in secs x sample size x sample rate x number of channels

or filesize = frames per second x bit resolution x length (duration/time) in seconds

simple stuff, you'll be able to work out it anyway (if they had asked you to, but it wont be technical or say, "to the millionth decimal place" ;))

Huy

HSC
N/A
ok
thanz
Sure, no problem :)
(late post, I didn't see this thread... that, and this question was posted on my birthday, woohoo!! :))

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rx72c
Happy BIRTHDAY HUY(abit late aye), just make estimates
:)

I decided to remove my birthday from my profile, so it would be a 'quiet/secretive' birthday, hehe.

But yes, thank you rx72c.

Turned 18 on the 2nd of Sept. :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Lucky, i dont turn 18 until late next year(youngest person in my class).
Totally unrelated, but I know a guy who is (a potential), if not *the* dux of our college, and he's a 1986 baby, one of the youngest in our grade!

June 1986 or something like that...

rx72c

Sorry mate, July 1986, i wasnt saying that the older you are the smarter your are. I was referring to the constitutional rights i get when i am 18 and i have to wait long time for those.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Sorry mate, July 1986, i wasnt saying that the older you are the smarter your are. I was referring to the constitutional rights i get when i am 18 and i have to wait long time for those.
Yep, I know what you mean. I was just saying something totally unrelated (see my above post). :)

Of course, I know people who are old (and not necessarily wise), who wouldn't be able to do X, Y and Z.

They wouldn't even be able to screw in a light bulb! :p

Hehe yeah, when you're 18 you get to do heaps of things:

Get smashed, drunk, strip clubs :)p), gamble/pokies, drive, open a bank account, smoke, etc.

rx72c

HAHAH Get smashed, drunk, strip clubs (), gamble/pokies, drive, open a bank account, smoke, etc
Good point , maybe i dont wanna do all of that, just wanna try some of it, go alittle crazy.

Huy

HSC
N/A
You wont be a boy anymore, you'll become a 'real man' :p

It's a great experience... (any of it) :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
With the onset of puberty, probably :)

I don't know why, but I'm thinking of Forrest Gump.

"I'm not a smart man...but I know what love is"

"Jennnayyyy!!...."

LOL sad movie :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)