Film Questions (1 Viewer)

Orphen

HSC
ok. i've been thinking about my ideas for sometime now.. and im kinda lost in my own head.. so i wanna get a few things cleared up..

First of all;

- Could i use clips from other movies/tv shows/anime in my film.
- Can i use "normal" songs in my vid...if i find a song that matches my theme it seems logical that i can use it in my vid.
- Could i, in theory, make the vid only about 4 or 5 mins long.. or should i stick to about 7-8?

Thanks.

leb_gend

hey mate, with the time limit. Keep it in the reccomended times, because if you fall short you will loose marks, and if you go over the time they just turn it off with our looking. So if you want full marks stick to what is told.

Good Luck, God bless

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Orphen said:
ok. i've been thinking about my ideas for sometime now.. and im kinda lost in my own head.. so i wanna get a few things cleared up..

First of all;

- Could i use clips from other movies/tv shows/anime in my film.
- Can i use "normal" songs in my vid...if i find a song that matches my theme it seems logical that i can use it in my vid.
- Could i, in theory, make the vid only about 4 or 5 mins long.. or should i stick to about 7-8?

Thanks.
i will just say - I have the absolute bare minimum knowledge in actual film making - but i did do quiet well in studying films for english.

using 'normal songs' in films - like pop songs etc - is an actual movie technique - i think you have your score music and then there is another category for the normal stuff. So i would imagine that in your ext 2 work you could use a modern song. As long as it worked in with what you were trying to say and it had meaning - mabye mention it in your reflection statment why you thought it was better to use that particular song (ie. reach out to your audience or something) i would guess that there woudl be no problem with it.

i dont remember reading anything in the film section of the syllubus that said you couldn't use modern music... But have a quick look thorugh the Ext 2 Syllubus - if its not menitoned in there i would say there wouldnt be a probelm...

as with the time limit - as i said i have no experience iwth movies i did an essay for my ext 2 - but hte restrictions and limitations have the same meaning. And you would be quiet silly to deliberatly and knownly not conform to the time limit that they give you. They are expecting a film of that length - and if they do not get one - no matter how good it is they will have to mark you down for not following instructions. part of your mark from this course is that you follow the syllubus correctly... they do mark you down for not abiding by the syllubus...

hope that all helps
good luck with it

veridis

droog
HSC
you can use other clips but people generaly reccomend against it. logic being that techniques used in that clip arent your techniques so wont be marked. if using a 10 second clip help make the rest of your film better then go for it.
you can use whatever music you want. even the atmospheric music that would be score music is usualy sourced elsewhere cause nobody could realisticly be asked to compose a new score themselves. so as long as you credit it go for you life. same with the clip i guess. credit it just in case

taxman

make poverty
HSC
You can do it, but it is illegal to use other people's music without permission.

It's not a big deal, as it cannot be enforced, but personally I like to email the artist (or their record label) and request to use their song, stating exactly how it will be used. I'm using Cary Brothers' Ride. I emailed him personally and he emailed right back saying it's cool.

Obviously, if you're gonna use a song by Radiohead or The Cure, or whoever, it's gonna be a lot harder....so just breach copyright...they won't know. It's a karma thing really...I mean, how would you like it if someone took your short film and claimed it as their own? That's the point I'm trying to make...but since it's just going to the Board of Studies, it shouldn't matter at all.

veridis

droog
HSC
actualy you dont need permission but do need to credit them. my teacher explained it to me as someone wanted to use lyrics of a song as stimulus for their peoms. as its an educational piece copyright laws allow anything to be used. but if you dont credit you can still get done for plagerism. if you were going to have a public screening of your film outside of the school system then you'd need permission from the copyright owners but as long as it stays within the EE2 framework you can use whatever you want

Alaranth

taxman said:
You can do it, but it is illegal to use other people's music without permission.

It's not a big deal, as it cannot be enforced, but personally I like to email the artist (or their record label) and request to use their song, stating exactly how it will be used. I'm using Cary Brothers' Ride. I emailed him personally and he emailed right back saying it's cool.

Obviously, if you're gonna use a song by Radiohead or The Cure, or whoever, it's gonna be a lot harder....so just breach copyright...they won't know. It's a karma thing really...I mean, how would you like it if someone took your short film and claimed it as their own? That's the point I'm trying to make...but since it's just going to the Board of Studies, it shouldn't matter at all.
There's a blanket copyright thingie for EE2, meaning you can use anything you want without having to worry about copyright. But, if you show you video anywhere other than school or the Board, it's copyright violation. You have to get permission from the copyright holders. And yes, it is enforcable. If someone who holds copyright to the song sees your movie and knows they havn't given permission, then you can be sued. However, that's pretty unlikly.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Kyroth said:
There's a blanket copyright thingie for EE2, meaning you can use anything you want without having to worry about copyright. But, if you show you video anywhere other than school or the Board, it's copyright violation. You have to get permission from the copyright holders. And yes, it is enforcable. If someone who holds copyright to the song sees your movie and knows they havn't given permission, then you can be sued. However, that's pretty unlikly.
Oh, ok, thanks for that. Glad to know we're free with music...I was thinking Death Cab For Cutie were gonna be hard to get on to :p

Does anybody know of many previous EE2 videos/films using music in their films, and how they went with it?

veridis

droog
HSC
of the 3 i've seen
1 with no music got 47
1 with alot of music(mainly bjork) got 46
1 with no music got 34 or something terribly low like that

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
It all depends on how the music is used. Firstly, if the music (whatever kind be it modern or classical) is used symbolically or to stress a point then obviously you are going to gain more marks. As veridis said above, using music doesn't guarantee you marks, but it doesn't deduct them either. It is about the use of it - as we all learn in EE1 and Advanced, not so much the what but HOW it contributes to the text you are creating.

As for copyright everyone has covered that above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)