Final Round Med Interview Offers? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
WRX I think you should be clever enough to realise that a sample size of one is not statistically definitive. Jess is right in asking whether perhaps it's just her that is shit. I, however, put forward that perhaps it's only you that thinks she's shit. She is, after all, YOUR sister.

Equally valid is Alvin's observation that Compared to every other medical school (JCU doesn't count, they don't use UMAT :p) Newcastle is the most isolated and least geographically important/interesting. Actually, strike the "interesting", I like wine.

Ok enough fighting about Newcastle and its relative stickiness. Please don't keep it going since it's just plain annoying (and I don't like having to close threads in here).

Anyway, 6th largest city is meaningless in a country that has a population less than Tokyo.

Georgia, to answer your question there's nobody who can tell you either way. Your UMAT is average for Newcastle and your UAI is meaningless (Newcastle only cares about exceeding the threshold). What really matters is your interview. Win that, and you win a place. :)

Last edited:

georgia86

Lexicographer said:
WRX I think you should be clever enough to realise that a sample size of one is not statistically definitive. Jess is right in asking whether perhaps it's just her that is shit. I, however, put forward that perhaps it's only you that thinks she's shit. She is, after all, YOUR sister.

Equally valid is Alvin's observation that Compared to every other medical school (JCU doesn't count, they don't use UMAT :p) Newcastle is the most isolated and least geographically important/interesting. Actually, strike the "interesting", I like wine.

Ok enough fighting about Newcastle and its relative stickiness. Please don't keep it going since it's just plain annoying (and I don't like having to close threads in here).

Anyway, 6th largest city is meaningless in a country that has a population less than Tokyo.

Georgia, to answer your question there's nobody who can tell you either way. Your UMAT is average for Newcastle and your UAI is meaningless (Newcastle only cares about exceeding the threshold). What really matters is your interview. Win that, and you win a place. :)
Thanks lex - best of luck to you for newcastle

emeka

HSC
N/A
georgia86 said:
Realistically, does anyone know what sort of combined UMAT/UAI/Interview score you have to get to get into UNSW and/or UNCLE for med?

My UAI was a bit lower than estimated (98.85) and umat score 195 - anyone wise in these matters know if it is still worth hoping for one of the nsw unis?

dude you got jipped. have a look http://notes.med.unsw.edu.au/home/medweb.nsf/website/2.2.LocalStudentsFAQ

youre like me jst that i got uai 99plus and UMAT 180plus. you shouldve got a second round interview. me too heh. alot of pple mustve done alot better then.
im still hopping for the USYD comb medsci/med one. long shot though

inasero

Reborn
HSC
haha pwned by hipsta_jess, Alvin!

by the way, Monash is the sticks hehe...go to Melb Uni instead unless you have a car or are willing to enjoy a long train ride everyday...or if you're a nerd like me who never goes out :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm a nerd like you who never goes out...but I'm not UAI-smart enough for Melbourne, and I'm too cool for Monash* :p

Still, Monash is less sticks than Newcastle. At least you're still technically part of a state capital. It's sorta like that proposed UWS:Med :D

*Where "cool" is defined as "not-school-leaver"

inasero

Reborn
HSC
there you go...perfect analogy...except I wouldn't go around comparing UWS to Monash otherwise~

hmm?

so neither u, emeka or georgia86 got late round interview offers -> even at UNSW? thats strange & mean - that table correlating the UAIs and UMAT scores should* be accurate and up to date.
i find that unfair that you didnt get anything.
i heard there was a waiting list -> did you guys get on that?

georgia86

sorry i don't think i was very clear.... i had a 1st round interview at UNSW but i got a lower uai than estimated and i have been told that the mean uai at unsw is 99.5... so i am VERY happy to have received an interview but i'm pretty sure i wont get in. ooops my bad - i didn't mean to give you the impression that i had been unfairly overlooked for a 2nd round interview.....hope you all had a happy xmas :)

jang

is not my real name
HSC
georgia86 said:
sorry i don't think i was very clear.... i had a 1st round interview at UNSW but i got a lower uai than estimated and i have been told that the mean uai at unsw is 99.5... so i am VERY happy to have received an interview but i'm pretty sure i wont get in. ooops my bad - i didn't mean to give you the impression that i had been unfairly overlooked for a 2nd round interview.....hope you all had a happy xmas :)
wo... i was thinkin 'im fucked if these hardcore ppl dont even get an interview, wat am i up against?'
wtf up with emeka then? has emeka done an interview yet?

georgia86

Actually the mean is not 99.6 or whatever I said at UNSW.

Proffessor Cole said at the UNSW open day that about half of their students last year got over 98.5 and the lowest uai was 95.2

So there is still hope!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)