Financial Economics Jobs? (1 Viewer)

Whovian95

HSC
Hey,
I have decided to major in financial economics in my economics degree
What does financial economics consist of? Like what does it involve. Would it be a heavy workload? And also, with math being involved, how hard will it be considering that I have only done 2U during the HSC
What job opportunities/positions will be available to me when doing this major?

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
i only read that finance maths is a joke. i could be wrong. but that's what i heard, haven't done the course

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
i only read that finance maths is a joke. i could be wrong. but that's what i heard, haven't done the course
What do you mean by that? I'd also like to know

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
What do you mean by that? I'd also like to know
The financial markets are rampant with uncertainty and "black swans". Many argue that rigorous modelling and our probability distributions are futile/bs when facing such a macro level of uncertainty (here uncertainty =/= probability - we don't even know the distribution of the random variables being assessed).

That's how many financial blowups happen, all these guys using models which don't represent the reality of the system.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Read "The Black Swan" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. It changed my perspective quite a bit on all this.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
The financial markets are rampant with uncertainty and "black swans". Many argue that rigorous modelling and our probability distributions are futile/bs when facing such a macro level of uncertainty (here uncertainty =/= probability - we don't even know the distribution of the random variables being assessed).

That's how many financial blowups happen, all these guys using models which don't represent the reality of the system.
pretty much. not to brag but i know an exec level guy at a HUGE finance firm (tradition) and he thinks all economics is bullshit fluff when coming to predicting financial markets and what not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)