First class honours... (1 Viewer)

golfpro

HSC
N/A
To get first class honours is it u have to maintain a distinction average over the entire degree (4years in most cases) ?

And how hard is it to actually get first class honours, what would u have to achieve in the hsc which u could say would be comparable if u know what i mean.

like a 95+ uai is the level needed for first class honors kinda thing.

??

tempco

HSC
I can't really say for other uni's, but for UNSW, your honours grade depends on your marks during your honours year. However, you'll have to keep your marks up to a certain level depending on what honours program you're applying for.

E.g. Fins honours requires a 75% average over all finance courses. Eco honours requires a 70% average over all 2nd/3rd year courses. First class honours is 85%+ during your honours year if my memory serves me right.

Generator

HSC
N/A
golfpro said:
To get first class honours is it u have to maintain a distinction average over the entire degree (4years in most cases) ?
I think that you'd be best to contact the relevant faculty/department because there's little point in asking for responses that may be of no relevance to you and your course (assuming that you're currently at uni). If you'd like a specific response from the BOS mob, I suggest that you take the time to actually let us know what and where you are studying.

golfpro said:
And how hard is it to actually get first class honours, what would u have to achieve in the hsc which u could say would be comparable if u know what i mean.

??
What person B considers to be easy may be beyond the capabilities of person A, and that may be despite the fact that they are both taking degree C. In all seriousness, there's not much that anyone can say about just how 'hard' something like a first-class result may be for another person, especially when the question is posed online and by a complete stranger. That said, I don't think that a first class result in a research-based Honours year would be that hard for a student who is both bright and determined, but others would probably disagree.

I can say that there's little point in using HSC level results as a guide - you can't compare apples and oranges, especially when the apples are grown in a different agricultural region. The UAI merely determines whether or not someone may enter a particular course. It doesn't provide any indication as to how a student will perform 3 or 4 years down the track.

Once again, I suggest that you contact the relevant faculty/department and see what they have to say. At the moment there's not much that we here on BOS can say given that we don't know a) your university and b) your degree.

---

Taking the time to look at some of your other posts, I now know that you are a HSC student. Though the above still stands (i.e., contact the relevant university/faculty yourself or provide a little more information), I suggest that you deal with the HSC before you start to worry about whether or not you'll be able to achieve a first class Honours result

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
It also depends on what kind of degree.

The honours yr in Engineering is compulsory and the grade is based on a cumulative average over the course of the degree.

In Commerce/Economics/Science (Hons) it is based on the average mark for doing an extra Honours yr. Also, as mentioned before, you need to meet certain benchmarks and apply to the faculty/school be accepted as an Honours student. In some schools, they are very selective in who they will take in due to a limited no. of supervisors, eg actuarial studies @ UNSW.

Doing well in tests is by no means an indicator of a good Honours result as Honours is centred around producing original research. So you need ideas, creativity, problem-solving skills, insight, etc on top of booksmarts.

Have an open mind when entering uni. Most people find that they prefer to work instead of spending a yr on Hons so it as much a personal/career choice as an academic choice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the requirements for University Medal in terms of pre-Hons results (eg WAM, no fails, etc)?

Generator, what honours are you doing? Also, what's you thesis topic on?

Generator

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
Generator, what honours are you doing? Also, what's you thesis topic on?
I'm done. Urban Geography (Geography as a whole is a science at USyd). My thesis was quite crap yet I still managed a 2I result. Nothing to write home about, but at least with a result like that I can say that the year wasn't a total waste. I also know that that was the best that I could have done at the time, so that's why I think that a 'standard' first-class result in a degree like my own wouldn't be beyond a bright and determined student.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hey well done Generator for getting through the Honours year. Urban geography sounds very interesting. At the moment, I am finding it difficult balancing between my lab work and writing at the same time. My research is on medical microbiology and I cannot believe we are 2 months in and I still haven't managed to get some sort of meaningful results from my experiments - quite frustrating if you ask me.

Anyway, glad to hear people survive through Honours....

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Depends on your uni and what kind of field you're doing. If your doing a humanities degree, it might be something entirely different.

I'm doing Music (Honours) @ Usyd and I could only obtain that via credit average (and no failing) for my first two years. My next two years, my majorworks must be Distinction or higher. My Honours mark is 50% thesis and 50% majorwork, no average stuff.

See how different that is compared to others? You should enquire with your university.

And are you doing your HSC at the moment? Honours is seriously far off though, why worry about it now? Unless you're doing a B Arts (Honours), those freakish degrees that has the Honours thing already on it :/

HSC
N/A
golfpro said:
Really depends on the degree that you are doing, because for some degrees a UAI of 95 wont even be enough to gain entry into the normal undergraduate degree.

HSC
meh if you ace uni you can get into first class honours that way, pretty much regardless of uai.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)