first year engineering (1 Viewer)

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
just a couple of questions regarding engineering. I plan to do engineering at UNSW next year, not sure what type. Do you learn the same stuff the first year in all engineering fields, and is it necessary to specify in the first year. Also whats the maths like compared to 4U maths in high school, i imagine it to be quite a lot harder. Any help would be greatly appreciated

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
The maths is easy and i only did 2u, however im only in first year, first sem. It might get harder.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
a-n-d-r-e-w said:
just a couple of questions regarding engineering. I plan to do engineering at UNSW next year, not sure what type. Do you learn the same stuff the first year in all engineering fields, and is it necessary to specify in the first year. Also whats the maths like compared to 4U maths in high school, i imagine it to be quite a lot harder. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Complex numbers, polynomials, mathematical induction, vectors, matrices, vector geometry, limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, exponential and logarithmic functions and hyperbolic functions.

Actually to me, they dig deeper into the maths you learnt in high school, where you learn the REAL fundamental theorems of calculus and the proofs of your logarithmic laws and of course new things like Riemann Sums, matrices and implicit differentiation.

Oh and that's what B Engineering (Flexible First-Year) is for and by the end of the year these students will be sent an e-mail with instructions on internal transfer.

doink

Clone
HSC
If you do electrical the maths becomes ridiculous and just when you think you have it they dump circuit analysis on your lap.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hi there!

i am 2nd year of electrical eng at UNSW.

a-n-d-r-e-w said:
just a couple of questions regarding engineering. I plan to do engineering at UNSW next year

good choice!,

a-n-d-r-e-w said:
not sure what type. Do you learn the same stuff the first year in all engineering fields, and is it necessary to specify in the first year.
it will really help if you work out what type you want to do. "Flexible first year" is a load of rubbish - it doesn't really give you a taste of different engineering disciplines, instead you just do basic maths/physics and a few electives, then get screwed over when you pick something because you haven't done all the first year pre-requisites.

so my recommendation is to work out what you want to do NOW - because at the end of "flexible" first year, you probably won't be any clearer about what you want to do.

think about what you enjoy most at school:
- if it is chemistry, then think about chemical/materials engineering
- if it is physics and chemistry, then think about civil or mech
- if you like maths and are interested in circuits, then think about elec (unless you hate programming)
- if you like computing, but not as keen on maths, then do computer engineering
- if you like the idea of making heaps of money but living in the middle of nowhere, think about mining or petroleum

lol i hope that helps...

a-n-d-r-e-w said:
Also whats the maths like compared to 4U maths in high school, i imagine it to be quite a lot harder. Any help would be greatly appreciated
it's not, Maths 1A (1st session) and Maths 1B (2nd session) are pretty easy. Easier than 4 unit i reckon, because it is less focussed on intense algebra and more on a wider range of content.

Also, the technique of learning all the different types of questions and methods to solve them does not work at uni. It might have worked okay for some people in the HSC, but at uni to succeed you really need to understand the underpinnings of all the maths. I have seen heaps of people struggle because they just tried to learn according to the questions.

But you don't need to be smart to do well, just keep up with the work.

Don't make my mistake of picking Higher Maths 1A and Higher Maths 1B. these are geared towards people doing maths majors, so you do really intense mathematical proofs and the questions are quite a bit harder. Most of the engineers in Higher Maths found it really hard to actually care about all that stuff.

good luck with the HSC and choosing a career!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)