First Year Mathematics A (Differentiation & Linear Algebra) (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: MATH1131 help thread

Yeah I understand that rule, thanks.

So I'm just not understanding why the sqrt on the bottom is making y have to be positive. I get that it involves the x but how does it involve the y?

A way of doing this, do we rearrange the function so that x is the subject, and from that we can easily see that y cannot be negative (and is this a good method for solving other functions like this?)?
Because of the square root, the denominator is by definition positive (it can't be 0 since we can't have 0 on a denominator; and remember, the symbol √(t) refers to the positive positive square root of t, where t is a positive real number).

Since y is equal to 1/(something positive), y itself is positive. In other words, 1/t > 0 whenever t > 0.

leehuan

HSC

sqrt(1) = 1
sqrt(2) = sqrt(2)
sqrt(3) = sqrt(3)
sqrt(4) = 2

I just picked some positive integers.

Effectively, you cannot use the square root to force out a negative y value.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Because of the square root, the denominator is by definition positive (it can't be 0 since we can't have 0 on a denominator; and remember, the symbol √(t) refers to the positive positive square root of t, where t is a positive real number).

Since y is equal to 1/(something positive), y itself is positive. In other words, 1/t > 0 whenever t > 0.
Ohhh haha right, I understand.

Thanks all

Flop21

HSC

Additional input.

Sorry can someone further explain this.

The part I don't understand is actually getting the points to draw, I understand enough to figure out what quadrant etc though.

So you say sketching y<=2x, but how do you do that?

E.g. I have another similar question: sketch the set of points in the (x,y) plane satisfying 0<x<3y and 0<y<2

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Sorry can someone further explain this.

The part I don't understand is actually getting the points to draw, I understand enough to figure out what quadrant etc though.

So you say sketching y<=2x, but how do you do that?

E.g. I have another similar question: sketch the set of points in the (x,y) plane satisfying 0<x<3y and 0<y<2
To sketch y ≤ 2x, first sketch y = 2x. This is the boundary of the region. Then the places where y is less than (or equal to) 2x will be the places below (or on) this line. If the restriction is 0 ≤ x ≤ 2, then we only take the part where x is between 0 and 2.

To sketch the set of points in the (x,y) plane satisfying 0<x<3y and 0<y<2, first we note 0 < y < 2. Therefore, the region must be in the horizontal band strictly between the lines y = 0 and y = 2, so you can draw these lines (in dashed form), as our region will be between these.

Then sketch 0 < x < 3y, taking only the part in the horizontal band. To sketch 0 < x < 3y, first sketch x = 3y (this is the line y = x/3). Its intersection with the dashed line y = 2 is at the point (6, 2). Then, since we want only the places where x > 0 and x < 3y, take the part to the left of this line, but to the right of the y-axis (as x > 0).

So the final region is the interior of the triangle formed by the points (0,0), (0,2), (6,2), and excluding the boundaries.

Flop21

HSC

How do I show that f is continuous at 0... f(x) = |x|

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

How do I show that f is continuous at 0... f(x) = |x|
Note f(0) = 0, so we need to show that f(x) -> f(0) = 0 as x -> 0. So we need to show that given eps > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that if 0 < |x-0| < delta (i.e. 0 < |x| < delta), then |f(x) - 0| < eps.

To do this, let delta = eps, for any given eps > 0. Then suppose 0 < |x-0| < delta.

Then we have |x| < delta. Since |x| = ||x|| = ||x| - 0|, we have ||x| - 0| < delta, i.e. |f(x) - 0| < delta. But delta = eps, so |f(x) - 0| < eps, as we wanted.

Hence f is continuous at 0.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Note f(0) = 0, so we need to show that f(x) -> f(0) = 0 as x -> 0. So we need to show that given eps > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that if 0 < |x-0| < delta (i.e. 0 < |x| < delta), then |f(x) - 0| < eps.

To do this, let delta = eps, for any given eps > 0. Then suppose 0 < |x-0| < delta.

Then we have |x| < delta. Since |x| = ||x|| = ||x| - 0|, we have ||x| - 0| < delta, i.e. |f(x) - 0| < delta. But delta = eps, so |f(x) - 0| < eps, as we wanted.

Is that using the formula proof of a limit? [fml I was hoping that was just one small part of the topic and have skipped over it].

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Is that using the formula proof of a limit? [fml I was hoping that was just one small part of the topic and have skipped over it].
I did it (proved the required limit) via the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

Flop21

HSC

So knowing the definition of a continuous function, can you just say since the its lim = 0 from both the left and right hand side, it is continuous since as x->a f(x) = f(a).

Would writing just that be acceptable as an answer instead of using the eps-delta method?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

So knowing the definition of a continuous function, can you just say since the its lim = 0 from both the left and right hand side, it is continuous since as x->a f(x) = f(a).

Would writing just that be acceptable as an answer instead of using the eps-delta method?
Idk, by saying that the limits are 0 from the left and right, it seems (in my opinion) too close to assuming what they're asking you to prove.

leehuan

HSC

They defined continuity for us somewhere along the lines of this

turntaker

HSC

(a) Show that if A is a 2 × 2 matrix, and its two rows are identical, then det(A) = 0.

(b) Prove by induction that if A is an n × n matrix which has two identical rows, then det(A) = 0.
[Hint: expand along one of the other rows].

How would one approach this question? Part a is quite easy, though I am not sure about part b.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC

(a) Show that if A is a 2 × 2 matrix, and its two rows are identical, then det(A) = 0.

(b) Prove by induction that if A is an n × n matrix which has two identical rows, then det(A) = 0.

How would one approach this question? Part a is quite easy, though I am not sure about part b.
|a al
|b bl = ab-ba

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

(Parity of an integer refers to whether it is odd or even.)

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Okay so with parametric vector forms of lines...

I was under the impression it was x = a + lambda(v). And I though V was simply AB (given two points A and B), so to get the vector you go B-A.

But in the solutions for my practice test it has A-B. Why have they got this, and if that is correct, why?

leehuan

HSC

I was under the impression it was x = a + lambda(v). And I though V was simply AB (given two points A and B), so to get the vector you go B-A.

But in the solutions for my practice test it has A-B. Why have they got this, and if that is correct, why?
Doesn't matter. Let mu = -lambda and donezo

Convention is to use B-A because A-B is technically a negative case

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Flop21

HSC

Oh right, because you can have multiple parametric vector forms for the same line? Because I was getting the signs of my vectors opposite to the answers (since they used A-B).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)