FOBE200 - Serious Games in Business (1 Viewer)

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Just got invited to apply to do this subject, apparently it's invitational only based upon academic results..

Anyone know anything about this unit? Apparently it provides opportunities to network and work with business leaders and stuff, it fills an elective slot. However, it's provided by the department of Marketing and Management, so it kinda sounds like another fluffy bullshit subject.

Also, while this thread is here: Can i take a 100 level elective unit while i'm in my second year (and have already done 8 100 level units) and still graduate in the same amount of time? I really want to do PHIL 137, but not if it's going to mess up my degree.

will90211

HSC
Yep, you can do a 100 lev unit. In year 3 I plan to go back and do a 200 lev unit. Map out your degree though and make sure it doesn't slow down your graduation...

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Have been invited for FOBE200/300 since 2012, not gonna do them at all.

Just check out your degree rules, most degrees require 39 minimum credits point for 200level and above, so you can do maximum 10 100level units for a single degree without exceeding 69 credit points.

crazy_paki123

HSC
yeah i got invited. sounds like a great opportunity tbh and a good filler too considering i dont know what to choose for my electives. Should also give an edge over others that apply from other uni's in regards to getting in the big 4

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Yeah ima stay at MQ. What edge do you think it gives?

crazy_paki123

HSC
well it does give you work exp with a business, gives you networking opportunities which is really crucial for big 4, the description says we mayy work with industry partners, gives us interaction with the community and readies us theorettically and practically for the business world. it just sounds really good.

crazy_paki123

HSC
This unit provides an opportunity for students to directly engage with the community through experience in a variety of workplaces including government agencies, companies, industry partners and not-for-profit organisations. The unit comprises of workplace experience in a business or other relevant organisation for the equivalent of one week of full-time work. At the completion of the unit, students are expected to have developed skills in relation to the application of business theory in the real world, work-readiness skills and a better appreciation of the business profession. These outcomes assist students in becoming engaged and ethical local and global citizens who are able to be socially and environmentally active, and responsible and capable of professional judgement.
This unit is a designated PACE unit and all enquiries regarding enrolment should be made with the Faculty no later than 4 weeks before commencement of the study period.

crazy_paki123

HSC
Allow you to be involved in a project that will be an invaluable addition to your resume when you graduate

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Damn that sounds pretty good actually, didn't realise you got actual legit work experience.

Last edited:

crazy_paki123

HSC
wtf lol how do we make a game? so lost on this storyboard thing :S

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Yep that was the confusing part for me i have no idea what this subject actually involves

crazy_paki123

HSC
from what ive red so far it sounds like we have to make a game with a group of students and a mentor from a business about how a business operates.

better_than_you

HSC
You guys might want to check out this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game

Serious games are simulations of real-world events or processes designed for the purpose of solving a problem. Although serious games can be entertaining, their main purpose is to train or educate users, though it may have other purposes, such as marketing or advertisement. Serious game will sometimes deliberately sacrifice fun and entertainment in order to achieve a desired progress by the player.

Did your high schools participate in the Australian Business Week simulation? It seems like a university level version of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)