Food expenses (1 Viewer)

0o~Jasmine89~o0

HSC
How much per week does everyone spend on food? I have never had to go food shopping and am worried about how much per week ill need to survive.

0o~Jasmine89~o0

HSC
$70 Per week? That is expensive.

I was thinking more in the range of $40 per week.

Does that $70 include alcohol?

bassistx

HSC
$35-$40 for basics.
Past $40 means I'm buying "delicacies" lol. Things like nuts, mainly. Like $15 per kilo.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I thought I was being pretty tight? That does not include drinks.

$70 is only ten dollars a day on food, that's pretty cheap. At 3 meals a day you are spending an average of $3 a meal.

It'll cost you more in the first few weeks too, as you need to build up supplies of essentials, i.e. salt, oil, sauce, dressings, can, jars, rice, pasta etc...

0o~Jasmine89~o0

HSC
I need my alcohol. Ill scab a few hundred off my parents so I can build those supplies up.

shona1990

HSC
I spend more than that and I live at home!
Then again, half the time mum can't be fucked cooking for my boyfriend and I cos we're vegan. So we'll order pizza or something. Plus she doesn't buy ANYTHING aside from food for dinner. Literally. If I want to make a salad sandwich for lunch, I need to walk to IGA to buy the ingredients... I buy my own baked beans, etc. Because she doesn't.
:(

bassistx

HSC
shona1990 said:
cos we're vegan
*gasp!!!* I found one of me! I love you!!!! lol. Argh I hate you for having a vegan boyfriend lol. Find me one!!!!

Like I said, $35 pw for basics. That's a vegan diet - $5 per day, compared to $10.
But you shouldn't go vegan for those reasons lol...

shona1990

HSC
0o~Jasmine89~o0 said:
Is being vegan a cheaper alternative?
Yes, although my mum doesn't bother buying any alternatives to meat/dairy/eggs etc or cooking for us.
"Oh, sorry, this soup I made for dinner has meat in it. Have some raw beans"
"I couldn't be bothered cooking dinner tonight, so I picked up a cooked chicken/quiche. Umm, aside from that, we have a wilted lettuce and a couple of old tomatoes... Do you want some?"
Etc.

bassistx

HSC
shona1990 said:
Yes, although my mum doesn't bother buying any alternatives to meat/dairy/eggs etc or cooking for us.
"Oh, sorry, this soup I made for dinner has meat in it. Have some raw beans"
"I couldn't be bothered cooking dinner tonight, so I picked up a cooked chicken/quiche. Umm, aside from that, we have a wilted lettuce and a couple of old tomatoes... Do you want some?"
Etc.
Lmfao. My mother exactly.

Jezzi

HSC
I lived on campus when I was at Newy uni. It's hard to tell you how much, becuase I don't know how much you eat. It also depends where you shop.
I spent about $40 week not inc alcohol. I only drink when I go out, but I guess that would come under entertainment costs rather than food.

I find green grocers, bakers and butcher shops etc (smaller stores) are cheaper than woolies/coles, and usually much fresher. Aldi is good if you live by one for basics. I also like going to cheapo stores like the reject shop to get cleaning products and toilet paper...sooo cheap. And Priceline for toiletries.

Also, its better to make big servings for dinner, that way you can freeze leftovers for the next day, whch would probably save money

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
0o~Jasmine89~o0 said:
Yes I should. Going vegan is better than starving. Or is it starving? LOL.
No, not starving. You think it's starving? Try being vegan with a gluten allergy! Hah! lol.

I actually just had some awesome vegan soup I made myself. It took like 10min to make. And I'm going back for more xD

0o~Jasmine89~o0

HSC
bassistx said:
No, not starving. You think it's starving? Try being vegan with a gluten allergy! Hah! lol.

I actually just had some awesome vegan soup I made myself. It took like 10min to make. And I'm going back for more xD
I will have to learn how to be vegan, and properly plan things out.

bassistx

HSC
You can't be vegan. I mean, veganism extends beyond dairy products lol. I mean, think of a muesli bar or bar of chocolate or whatever. Anything that contains animal products (think gelatine in lollies) is not vegan.
I think you'd die lol. Because you're not doing it for youknowwhat. So maybe just exclude meats (replace with lentils & beans & tofu) and eggs.
Dairy milk and soymilk are priced pretty much the same. If you get $1 per L dairy, then you can get $1.50 per L soymilk. If you get $2 per L dairy, you can get $2.30 per L soymilk.. etc. I get mine for $2 a L (Sanitarium So Good).
Also, and although I count this as a delicacy because it's just so good (and expensive!)... Soyco make fantastic Malaysian peanut satay tofu. Cut it up into strips, a lil olive oil in the pan, then add your veggies. Best stir-fry ever.

44Ronin

HSC
bassistx said:

Turkish lentil soup. You must try it. Best soup ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)