For those who have graduated.. where are you now? (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
That's more for internal offers and experienced workers - it's probably not as high for graduates.
I would suggest that it still is - even if you apply for a big grad program having someone who works there and can recommend you during the process substantially increases your chances in most, but not all, situations. The other thing is just getting experience, it makes you much more attractive especially to smaller places. People just get too caught up in wanting to land glamour jobs straight out of uni and they won't even put themselves out there for some of the smaller stuff.

Isildur is right on the resume part also, heaps of my mates write up their resume at the end of uni and sure they might have a D average but that's literally the be all and end all of what they have to put on there.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I would suggest that it still is - even if you apply for a big grad program having someone who works there and can recommend you during the process substantially increases your chances in most, but not all, situations. The other thing is just getting experience, it makes you much more attractive especially to smaller places. People just get too caught up in wanting to land glamour jobs straight out of uni and they won't even put themselves out there for some of the smaller stuff.
In my experience, yes it does help being connected to get your application more noticed or given a second look a, but ultimately, you still need to make it on your own merits. Of course there are probably some organisations where the network/connections are given more weight, but I'd say it's not as widespread as some would say it is.

randomguy777

HSC
N/A
So its almost a new year, how are recent graduates holding up? Enjoying your job? Not liking it? Share your experience here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)