Fort Street Entrance Exams (1 Viewer)

wtfnoob123

HSC
Are Fort St exams hard? both in school and entrance into year 11?

Thank you :)

jnney

lemon
HSC
From what I remember about the entrance exam, most students did not finish both the maths and english exam.

Personally: I found the exams pretty difficult, but I was still reserved a placement for an interview. There are a lot of questions, so try to attempt everyone, but if you can't, don't worry about it and move on. Students are ranked according to their performance in the exams (+ essay? not sure if you guys still have to write one prior to submission of your application), and then I think the top 30 are invited for an interview. From there on, your report is taken into consideration.

Good luck ! I hope you do well. :)

wtfnoob123

HSC
From what I remember about the entrance exam, most students did not finish both the maths and english exam.

Personally: I found the exams pretty difficult, but I was still reserved a placement for an interview. There are a lot of questions, so try to attempt everyone, but if you can't, don't worry about it and move on. Students are ranked according to their performance in the exams (+ essay? not sure if you guys still have to write one prior to submission of your application), and then I think the top 30 are invited for an interview. From there on, your report is taken into consideration.

Thank you so much! yes, theres still an essay that i have to hand in :3 - so the exam , in your opinion would be un-finishiable?

Makematics

HSC
what do you mean are the exams hard? i meant that's a pretty broad question... as a top 20 school the marking is somewhat harsher than in other schools for humanities. the work is at a higher standard. for maths our exams are usually reasonably compared to other top selective schools. also if your hsc is 2014 how can u be applying for yr 11? :S

wtfnoob123

HSC
what do you mean are the exams hard? i meant that's a pretty broad question... as a top 20 school the marking is somewhat harsher than in other schools for humanities. the work is at a higher standard. for maths our exams are usually reasonably compared to other top selective schools. also if your hsc is 2014 how can u be applying for yr 11? :S
Ahh yeah haha misput 2014

MissyL

HSC
can you just chill about the selective school applications? lol

MissyL

HSC

Are you sure about the selection criteria based solely on exams and essay? What bout the external factors like your reports and co-curricular activities, do they have a fair amount of consideration?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Are you sure about the selection criteria based solely on exams and essay? What bout the external factors like your reports and co-curricular activities, do they have a fair amount of consideration?
Yes, your report is considered in the interview phase.

I'm not sure about the co-curricular part, but I' think that your report scores take preference over your outside activities.

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
Thank you so much! yes, theres still an essay that i have to hand in :3 - so the exam , in your opinion would be un-finishiable?
I think I finished english - or at least I was close to finishing. I believe you only have 50 mins for each exam or something? So it's not a lot of time.

I guess it would be 'un-finishbable' for most of the candidates, but at the end of the day, if you have outstanding mathematical and literary abilities, of course you'd be able to :p But don't sweat it, everybody has a chance. I do recall having friends who were offered a place at fort street, who also, were not able to complete the exam.

wtfnoob123

HSC
I think I finished english - or at least I was close to finishing. I believe you only have 50 mins for each exam or something? So it's not a lot of time.

I guess it would be 'un-finishbable' for most of the candidates, but at the end of the day, if you have outstanding mathematical and literary abilities, of course you'd be able to :p But don't sweat it, everybody has a chance. I do recall having friends who were offered a place at fort street, who also, were not able to complete the exam.
Okay awesome! Thanks heaps

StudyMate-

HSC
Just to clarify, do we have to hand in the Selective School Application form, copies of reports, awards, etc to the school by the 30th July or can we just hand ALL our documents on the 1st August (Entrance Exam day)?

wtfnoob123

HSC
Just to clarify, do we have to hand in the Selective School Application form, copies of reports, awards, etc to the school by the 30th July or can we just hand ALL our documents on the 1st August (Entrance Exam day)?
Most schools dont accept other things besides report on application (30th July) if selected for interview - you bring them , but in Fort St's case, hand in on 30th july, exam 1st

MissyL

HSC
Lol what are you talking about? they say provide evidence of any other academic excellence and co-curricular involvements :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)