Frames of reference assessment (1 Viewer)

anulik

HSC
Hi all BOS ers,

I have got an assessment to do, and the only information that I have got is that is all about the frames of reference. It is practical, and we have to conduct it during one period, so
a) what do you think I can do for preparing myself to the prac, besides having background information
b) what type of practical work they might ask us to do

Thanks, a lot, and if you have any idea please help me. :)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
a)
Learn how to do experiments.
That's probably the most important.
Accuracy, validity, reliability.
Repetition (trials) and safety (always worth a mark at least).
Practice writing up tables then drawing/writing graphs from the information in the table (don't let the line touch the origin unless the data given includes it).
Dependent/independent variables are important. Remember: y-axis = independent and x-axis = dependent.
And yeah background info I suppose.

b)
By frames of reference, do you mean Einstein's special relativity as well?
If no, they will most likely make you do a practical on inertial and non-inertial frames of reference.
ie. Hang a plumb-bob from a retort stand (or similar) and in an inertial FOR (stationary or constant velocity) it won't move. In a non-inertial FOR (accelerating), the plumb-bob will feel an inertia and move.
Possible to do the experiment with water as well, although I doubt it.

I don't see how they'll get you to tabulate/graph numerical data but you might as well be prepared, better safe than sorry.
Galileo's principle of relativity - It is impossible to determine whether you're in travelling at a constant velocity or whether you're stationary.
Or in complicated terms - The laws of physics are the same for a stationary object as it is for an object travelling at constant velocity.

Last edited:

anulik

HSC
Thank you sooo much , it helped me a lot. And the practical is about inertial and non inertial frames of reference, so again, thanks for your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)