french japanese spanish (1 Viewer)

1harkina

HSC
would you reccomend doing 3 lanuages in ur 1st yr of uni
im doin ba with dip ed
would be staring in beginners for jap and spanish but level 206 for french
in the end i would like to do language teaching or translator/interpretor.
also do I only do educ105 this yr or do i have to more more education units and tep coz all together that is 12 units.
also what is the difference between tep and educ
thanks

X

xeuyrawp

Teaching is difficult because there's essentially two 'teaching subjects' (which you do as a major in your arts degree) + the education subjects.

One of the teaching subjects is 'languages' - I'm not sure if you would be able to do two different languages as different teaching subjects. I think you'd have to combine it with another subject, for example English or history. Ie, I think both languages would only count as one teaching subject.

Have a look here for some downloads - that also lists a few staff members which you should definitely contact with regards to the degree - it's very important that you do the right thing, otherwise your teaching degree may be invalidated, or Macquarie may not let you graduate, so speaking with a qualified staff member is important.

With regards to your arts component - I don't think doing two new languages and one intermediate one in your first year would be a good idea. Unless you have a natural disposition to languages, it's really too much. I've done languages throughout my degree, and they can get tough.

That being said, I highly doubt you'd be allowed to do it from a teaching perspective. I think they'd recommend that, at the most, you do two languages + the EDUC unit, + the other teaching subject for each semester; ie four units.

Definitely double check though. You will have to go through all of this when you enroll, but there's definitely merit in finding out early.

Good luck with it all. :)

1harkina

HSC
thanks 4 the link dont know why I hadnt come across that in my travels
With the languages I would do two majors in French and japanese. i have decided (which I was told could do)
Now I just have to choose an elective to fill out the other 4 credit points after i add edu105
ill also have to look into what has to be studied in order to teach in a catholic school
Also does anyone know what dates we have to go into the uni to get our timetables looked at and talk to teachers so we can enrol in tutorials and lectures
thanks people
:shy:

X

xeuyrawp

Well if you were told you could do that, that's fine. Just make sure it's a reputable person. When you come in to enroll (have you got something from the uni about that yet?), double check that the units are okay with the academic adviser.

That being said, three different languages (two of which being new) in one semester is too much. But that's my opinion.

There is no FRN206; I assume you mean FRN226[/quote], which you can do after doing Continuers at the HSC?

If I were you, I'd definitely keep the French up, and chose other subjects around that - no more than one other new language, for sure.

With TEP vs EDUC: Haven't you spoken to someone already? In your first year, you just do EDUC units, not TEP units.

Hope that helps.

1harkina

HSC
thx 4 ur help
yeah im going to do the french that u do after hsc and jap but not spanish iill do something else not sure wot yet and ill clear everything up on the academic advising day
i havent spoken to anyone about it yet coz i just got back from france having been gone a yr
which course are u doing atm?

X

xeuyrawp

1harkina said:
thx 4 ur help
yeah im going to do the french that u do after hsc and jap but not spanish iill do something else not sure wot yet and ill clear everything up on the academic advising day
i havent spoken to anyone about it yet coz i just got back from france having been gone a yr
Oh sorry, I misinterpreted when you said '(which I was told could do)' - thought you meant you spoke to someone.

Good work with going to France - are you quite fluent? Definitely keep it up - nothing more depressing than losing a language. I used to be really good at Japanese (did well in 3 unit in the HSC), and I've lost a lot of it now.

Definitely have a chat with the academics. :)

which course are u doing atm?
I've been doing the ancient history degree, and I just added a degree in beginners German.

Harvey321

KALIFORNIA
HSC
hey all, speaking of languages i was wondering if i can get any advice..

Im about to start BMedia/ BLaws but i am also very intersted in doing languages. As apart of this program of study, it says i have 9 cp to help balance my degree/s.
I was thinking of picking up 3 consecutive french units from complete beginners level AND, start a CertLang Italian (i am already nearly fluent in italian).

I dont want to use these 9cp on italian because i want to formalise my italian, not have it as part of my media degree (first year electives), YET out of interest willing to start french in these electives due to interest and other reasons.

Is this advisable?
Is five units a semster too much (1 law, 2 media, 1 language elective + 1 for the certlang?)

How dificult is uni language study?
How is french from experience? considering i am near fluent in another romance langauge? (italian) should it be easier?

im kinda worried bout this, any advice much appreciated :p

X

xeuyrawp

Can you not post the same thing twice? :p

Harvey321 said:
Is this advisable?
Is five units a semster too much (1 law, 2 media, 1 language elective + 1 for the certlang?)
Yes I think so; especially in your first year at uni. You mayaswell give it a go, and if you don't like it, you can always drop out before census date, and not incure any penalties.

Just need to decide quite early on if the load means that you're not doing well in your main subjects.

What's your situation with Italian? Do you speak it at home? If so, there's no danger of you 'losing it', so maybe leave this a year and look at it after then? Otherwise if you're really adamant, maybe not do another language, and just stick to law, media x 2, and Italian?

How dificult is uni language study?
How is french from experience? considering i am near fluent in another romance langauge? (italian) should it be easier?

im kinda worried bout this, any advice much appreciated :p
You'll generally need to be tested to see which level of Italian would be best for you. Would just mean that you have a brief convo with one of the academics.

Since you're already proficient in Italian, most people would agree that learning French would be easy. However, I think this doesn't really help at uni, because most of the issue is *remembering* the different words and grammatical constructions - yes you'll get help from Italian, but not that much. Therefore the subject won't be as easy as 'learning' the language is, if that makes sense. You'd have much more help if you were doing, say, Spanish and Portuguese.

You're still going to have to put a fair amount of work in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harvey321

KALIFORNIA
HSC
thanx par yeux.. im sleeping abit easier now lol..ill talk to the advisers on enrolment day too...

Also, just curious, ive heard alo off ppl talking about times i.e. - "i have a lecture at 11:00am and a tute starting the sametime.."-- Is there anyway we can find out the time/day of classes or do we need to wait for the release of the timetable??

thanX :)

X

xeuyrawp

Be really clever and use the grid timetable maker to make your timetable, which you then come to enrolment with. It's much easier than using the normal timetable. :)

You probably shouldn't have a problem with your subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)