Frontline help please?? (1 Viewer)

loucee

hey guys,
could anyone please help me out, id really appreciate any notes you have on any of the frontline episodes, especially in terms of techniques. im thinking about using the seige, but im not really fussed.
any help at all would be much appreciated!
also, this might be a stupid question, but are we just meant to focuss on one particular episode and not all of them?

CrashOveride

HSC
I will second this motion.

Anybody have any notes etc. etc. please post up and help others here :)

Also anybody have any ideas about these:

How satire works
How it makes us question commonly held beliefs
The processes by which statements come to be accepted as true
Who has the authority to make those statements
The ways in which those statements are explored, tested, endorsed or refuted.

(These are related to the Front line material and two other texts of one's choosing)

I was thinking of doing Bowling for columbine and maybe wag the dog or something..people say these are over-used..whjich is why i want to use them, as i hope they will be easy to analyse etc ?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
loucee: ummm im not sure if u realised but bos has an extensive range of resources for all english texts.. heres the link to resources for this module
http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=6#6.3
CrashOveride:
1. Satire can be defined as 'a manner of writing that mixes a critical attitude with wit and humour in an effort to improve mankind and human institutions. ridicule, irony, exaggeration and several other techniques are almost always present'
2. it makes us question our beliefs i guess through criticising it.. but people need to be aware of the parody
3. the processes become true through the presentation by the media.. when they sensationalise stories with emotive language people are persuaded into thinking its the 'truth'
4. im never really sure what to say about this point.. i guess the media has the authority because we are so surrounded by it.. although the real truth isnt usually expressed by them (then again.. how do you know what is the real truth?)
5. shows like frontline satirise the media.. which is kinda like refuting what the media actually says (by saying its not true.. just exaggerated to get ratings)..

anyway these are just from my perspective.. you should be analysing those points yourself from your personal interpretation of frontline and what the 'truth' [or untruth] really is.. anything is easy to analyse if u read between the lines

CrashOveride

HSC
Thanks for that angel, will make sure to incorporate it ^_^

And your perspective sounds like its going to get marks, so im happy to go with it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
cro_angel, you're a MOD now, be a little more confident in your answers! :p

I've been seeing alot of "ummm", "errr", "maybe this..." hahaha

CrashOveride

HSC
Hey guys what do you tthink about To kill a mocking bird as a related text for Frontline ??

It's not satirical but i guess it shoes how we can be prejudiced to believe certain things based on certain factors (like the white ppl of souuthern US - poor socioeconomic backgrounds, umm stuff like that) .. anyone got any ideas for this text ?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
CrashOveride said:
Hey guys what do you tthink about To kill a mocking bird as a related text for Frontline ??

It's not satirical but i guess it shoes how we can be prejudiced to believe certain things based on certain factors (like the white ppl of souuthern US - poor socioeconomic backgrounds, umm stuff like that) .. anyone got any ideas for this text ?
it sounds ok to me, check with your teacher though. also because there's a rule about using texts that have been on the prescribed texts lists before

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ok, i know ppl r going 2 say that this is a stupid idea, but im gunna sya it neway - during ur actual HSC exam, theres nothing wrong with just making up a found text - think bout it, the marker cant check it out and even if they suspect its not real, they're not allowed 2 mark u down 4 it coz the marking scheme is concerned only with what u do with/say about the text. i know it sounds kinda crazy/stupid idea but i was actually advised 2 do this by a senior HSC marker, so im takin their advice.

clerisy

HSC
CrashOveride said:
I'm not doing it, but I actually think it works really well. Sportsgal-- In my opinion, To Kill a Mockingbird is not year nine level. It can be STUDIED at a year nine level, yes, but its an incredibly powerful text that has so much potential to be analysed at a deeper level, so if it's done properly, there won't be any disadvantage. After all, I studied Shakespeare in my junior years too, and I feel that its quite possible to understand more from his plays than I did then :D

also, it's not a current prescribed text, so there should be no problem. Whether it was on the old syllabus or not shouldn't make a difference.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
CrashOveride said:

There is a resource on the main page by a student who used To Kill A Mockingbird as a related text and it was quite well done. I love the book but it doesnt fit into my argument and angle so I couldnt use it.

The related text does not have to be similar to FRONTLINE in content. It is just meant to supplement the issues you wish to draw out from your chosen FRONTLINE eps. They do not have to be satirical at all! Where did you get that from? :p lol

!!belle!!

hi im new here this might sound silly but i cant see the answer to the question "how many frontline episodes do we have to know?' so how many is it!!

classics_chic

HSC
Well I didn't do Frontline: I did a text called "The Justice Game". And although it's not always recommended to use a text on the HSC reading list, I'd say you could get away with it here because almost no one does it (even at my school, mine was the only class to do it- everyone else did Frontline). I recommend it as a related text (I used "Desert Angel" from Frontline as a related for my HSC), especially "The Trials of Oz". That one especially links to Frontline.

Historiography books are very good for notions of telling the truth, if you swing that way. I recommend Sir Moses Finley's "Ancient History: Evidence and Models". It questions the whole notion of truth in the writing of history, which is especially questionable in Ancient History (I should know, that's my passion!). It has hundreds (I mean it!) of usable quotes (I stopped reading for quotes after 30 pages, but then kept reading to get some quotes from the back so it didn't look like I'd just read 30 pages...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)