Fruit Picking Jobs??? (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
I was just wondering if anyone knows when and how people get these jobs, i would like to do this with a few of my friends during the July break between semesters as well as a month or 2 of christmas holidays...

has anyone done this, can the uni employment people help out here or do you have to apply personally, either case where would you apply or get more info on this?

thanks for any help

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
no idea, but y would u wanna stand around in the sun plucking apples off a tree anyway?! :confused:

TheKey

HSC
heh im not sure myself, i just remember the good old days when i was a kid doing this stuff on our vineyard back in Europe, but seriously i doubt it would be bad if ur with your friends there.

Like from what i heard of these things u start early in the morning and have a break when the sun fully burns (i could be wrong :( ) and the money isnt too bad, something ~100 a day, so it could add up quickly.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
u get paid according to how much you pick, its not a set amount per hour or per day (and the farmers would be stupid to give you anywhere near 100 a day!)

where in Europe?

TheKey

HSC
oh that was when we lived in Croatia, i was like 5ish and we lived in a city called Osijek but i rember it was a fairly long drive when we went to the farm so im unsure of the exact location :(.

As for pay, i found on this one site that they pay between $80-$120 a day according to how well you work but it would probably depend from place to place...maybe theres a dirty catch...maybe they pay you in apples or grapes..:).

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
haha lol this thread is funny. um yeah i should know i actually have a friend who did it at some orchard last year - picking peaches or something and then they wash them in a factory thing but yeah i dont remember ... sorry!

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
hmm we dont really have places to pick fruit in nsw.. maybe queensland or something?
or hunter vallery.. the vineyards?
i had to pick fruit in croatia when i was there (like in yr 5 or something) but i didnt get paid for it.. damn relatives lol

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
There's plenty of places to pick fruit and veg in NSW. I do a bit of fruit picking during the breaks for a few growers in the Oaks/Camden area. Usually most jobs are through someone you know who needs a bit of help, but you could try doing the rounds of the fruit markets and the sydney growers markets asking for work.

But remember that it's hard work, you're expected to work hard but the benfits include that you're usually paid cash in hand, and once you're in, you'll usually be offered other jobs at other farms. Remember that besides fruit and veg, there's fresh flowers and other industries you can see if you can pick up work in.

TheKey

HSC
yeh i expected it to be hard work but i still think it would be more enjoyable than answering the phone every 2sec at dominos for some $6,20...

so its cool then, i have some family friends who have been doing this for years, except somewhere far which is why i wanted to avoid them but if its connections u need theres no other way :).

So Raiks how much could an 18 year old guy get payed if he worked as good as everyone else in that place? Does the pay differ much from place to place, cause i think these friends of ours are on a peach or apple farm or something like that...

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
HAHAHHAH last year my friend was actually completely serious about becoming a professional fruitpicker if she didn't make it into uni... (of course, she got 97+ and is now at uts :p)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
How much you get paid, varies place to place, but most likely around the $10/hr if done by time which is good money because it's cash in hand which means no tax :D

Pay rates varies quite a bit because theres no regulation on minimum wages etc because of the nature of your pay.... but it's cash in hand so its good no matter what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)