Fucking Centrelink Wankers (3 Viewers)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
blakegman said:
Which i guess is my point. If you already have a job earning money, why should you be payed by the government too.
because your job for whatever reason (your studies etc) doesn't cover your living expenses?

most students living out of home need centrelink to supplement their income because let's face it 3 shifts at woolies every week isn't going to quite cover everything you need.

iwannarock

HSC
youth allowance paid for all my guitars/amps/pedals.

but now i work hard for the monies.

so hard i cut my finger on glasses.

time to go see the doctor.

:(

Trajan

HSC
The_highwayman said:
i dont agree with the aboriginals not needing qualifications to carry out social work.
i mean, i'm white but i'd be damned if i'd know the first think about being a social worker for white people.

+1

Makes perfect sense......Just because someone is Aborigial does not mean they will be able to handle the rigours of social work without qualifications and experience in the field.

If anything, they may be less suited for the position.

Lori.

HSC
what? i'm sorry i'm really distracted by those arses >:/ gross man

G

Gavvvvvin

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
because your job for whatever reason (your studies etc) doesn't cover your living expenses?

most students living out of home need centrelink to supplement their income because let's face it 3 shifts at woolies every week isn't going to quite cover everything you need.
3 shift at Woolies can pull in around $550. I'm not sure what expenses you have that are so great $500 cant cover.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
3 shift at Woolies can pull in around $550. I'm not sure what expenses you have that are so great $500 cant cover.
i was just making an example. my point was that some uni students can't get by on just a part time job alone.

G

Gavvvvvin

Why not? You can live on campus for $120 a week, $200 a week is more than enough for food, that still givs you $200 to spend. What else do you need?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Why not? You can live on campus for $120 a week, $200 a week is more than enough for food, that still givs you $200 to spend. What else do you need?
no, no, forget the woolies example for a minute. i'm saying that there are some students living out of home, with jobs that don't completely cover their rent and food and bills and all that. maybe they don't get enough shifts, maybe it pays like shit, i don't know, but it happens.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Heaps of people 'lie' to get Centrelink benefits, hey at least you're getting money doing nothing. I'd say, keep taking money from Centrelink, take from the government, we're living in wall to wall Labor power, rip the government benefits!!

Evan11

HSC
jb2007 said:
I love being poor atm because centrelink pay me to study whilst my friends have to take a year off and work their asses off! Love you centrelink, but at the same time hate you so muchly!
while i realise this is joking and slightly sarcastic, it is this logic i am against. i think i am perfectly entitled to be against welfare, and personally (yes im going to put it out there) i think welfare should be revamped. I disagree that welfare is a social contract and i also disagree that the majority of people who receive welfare will more than pay it back. i think a lot of people rort the system. I also do not believe that the majority of people choose to be taxed so that their hard earned dollarrs (sorry bout the cliche) can go into welfare. i think that to say so is taking an overly optimistic (not that this is such a bad appraoch) view to human nature, and as much as i would like to believe in a communist philosophy where everyone is equal, i fail to see it as a fair system when people working harder than others do not get adequate benefits comparativley. if you would like guys, we can start a new thread re: the welfare debate, and im sure we can get some true god points flowing on either side. its a debate i would be very intersted in being a participant in. (btw apologies for rambling, poor grammar, spelling etc i was at a friends 18th)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Lori. said:
i would never throw away my dignity like that though
by making threads like this, you lose all of your dignity in the first place. If they wanted it by Easter Monday you should have sent out your package to arrive before the public holidays. Common sense.

HSC
oi...exohate, yr a creepy mutherfuvka...take liz out of your sig SPOOOOOK

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Evan11 said:
while i realise this is joking and slightly sarcastic, it is this logic i am against. i think i am perfectly entitled to be against welfare, and personally (yes im going to put it out there) i think welfare should be revamped. I disagree that welfare is a social contract and i also disagree that the majority of people who receive welfare will more than pay it back. i think a lot of people rort the system. I also do not believe that the majority of people choose to be taxed so that their hard earned dollarrs (sorry bout the cliche) can go into welfare. i think that to say so is taking an overly optimistic (not that this is such a bad appraoch) view to human nature, and as much as i would like to believe in a communist philosophy where everyone is equal, i fail to see it as a fair system when people working harder than others do not get adequate benefits comparativley. if you would like guys, we can start a new thread re: the welfare debate, and im sure we can get some true god points flowing on either side. its a debate i would be very intersted in being a participant in. (btw apologies for rambling, poor grammar, spelling etc i was at a friends 18th)
Thats complete bullshit.

For the purposes of what im going to point out to you, im going to assume that Centrelink = Independent Youth Allowance (as that is what the majority of students that are receiving benefits are receiving them under).

Independent Youth Allowance students you around $10,920 p.a (max).
On this you also still pay tax (about $700).

Lets assume that a student receives this for the entirety of their studies (4 years as an example). So, they are receiving around $40,000 from the government.

After graduation, if they work earning the average grad salary of around $35,000pa, they will pay tax of around $5,000. Thats $15,000 repaid over 3 years. With pay increases over the next few years, this remaining $25,000 should be repaid within the next 4 years (at around $6,000 tax payable per year).

So basically, the transition from student to working in paid employment for 8 years earning the extremely conservative figure of $35,000 will ensure that the amount of money received through Centrelink is paid back.

Even if you were to fail at scoring a job, and you worked in retail for the rest of your life, you'd still pay back the government in less than a third of your full working life. Then the taxpaying ex-student has to look forward to roughly another 30-35 years of contributing taxes.

From a financial perspective, thats a pretty good investment by the government. They would be idiots not to provide support their future taxpayers to assist with them in their studies, and ultimately helping them in receiving a high taxable income.

What im saying is that you have no idea at all how the system works, because you're still so young. The numbers certainly dont support your view.

Last edited:

Evan11

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Thats complete bullshit.

For the purposes of what im going to point out to you, im going to assume that Centrelink = Independent Youth Allowance (as that is what the majority of students that are receiving benefits are receiving them under).

Independent Youth Allowance students you around $10,920 p.a (max).
On this you also still pay tax (about $700).

Lets assume that a student receives this for the entirety of their studies (4 years as an example). So, they are receiving around $40,000 from the government.

After graduation, if they work earning the average grad salary of around $35,000pa, they will pay tax of around $5,000. Thats $15,000 repaid over 3 years. With pay increases over the next few years, this remaining $25,000 should be repaid within the next 4 years (at around $6,000 tax payable per year).

So basically, the transition from student to working in paid employment for 8 years earning the extremely conservative figure of $35,000 will ensure that the amount of money received through Centrelink is paid back.

Even if you were to fail at scoring a job, and you worked in retail for the rest of your life, you'd still pay back the government in less than a third of your full working life. Then the taxpaying ex-student has to look forward to roughly another 30-35 years of contributing taxes.

From a financial perspective, thats a pretty good investment by the government. They would be idiots not to provide support their future taxpayers to assist with them in their studies, and ultimately helping them in receiving a high taxable income.

What im saying is that you have no idea at all how the system works, because you're still so young. The numbers certainly dont support your view.
touche

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)