Fudging Stats (1 Viewer)

barbernator

HSC
Is it a cardinal sin to fudge stats in an economics paper.

eg. If I know that China's 10 year real GDP growth is around 9%, so I just plug in 9.2%, how strict are the markers on this, and how close are they to a bunch of stats to check?

RishBonjour

HSC
AHHHH, I WAS WONDERING THAT TOO!
I don't think they mind. I always plug in a x.something to make it seem accurate.

As tim riley said in this eco conference, you give as estimate, so the value +- 0.5 i assume.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't fudge them.

Chances are the marker either already knows them or has seen them in the hundred papers they marked before yours.

deswa1

HSC
Depends on the stat. Don't fudge China's growth rate- way too well known. You can fudge stats that are unlikely to be seen or attribute things to official sources to make them sound good.

RishBonjour

HSC
Australia's household savings rate? and investment level? - are they widely used?
i fudged both of those in my essay to make a point clear. (only by 0.5% though)

deswa1

HSC
Australia's household savings rate? and investment level? - are they widely used?
i fudged both of those in my essay to make a point clear. (only by 0.5% though)
You could probs get away with those but make sure they are very close to the official figure because any marker worth their salt should know the savings ratio. If you don't know, you could always say that Australia's household savings ratio has been fluctuating around 10% recently etc. An advanced tip for fudging stats though- attribute it to a very recent date and some sort of source- e.g. Citibank estimated Australia's household savings ratio to be XX%- this might be different to what the marker had in mind but independent analysts always come up with different figures so it could be plausible.

RishBonjour

HSC
ahhhhhhh deswa<3
that brings up another question - my teacher said we have to note the source of stats? is it essential?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ahhhhhhh deswa<3
that brings up another question - my teacher said we have to note the source of stats? is it essential?
I wouldn't say it is necessary but it is certainly good practice.

deswa1

HSC
ahhhhhhh deswa<3
Nope. You might for certain stats but for things like eco growth, CAD etc, who cares? It becomes too messy etc.

I might attribute 2 or 3 stats in a whole essay (out of like 30+)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)