Funny sound from engine (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Alright, lately i have been thrashing my astra a bit (like dragging and just going around windy roads at max speed- usually hitting 6000rpm). I noticed the other day there was a ticking sound coming from the engine. It's not present when the car is idling but there's a faint ticking sound when i rev it to 2500rpm. What's the go? Loose engine parts or something? Or is there a more serious problem?
thnks

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
i get that too in my corolla, though i would hate to think that it was because of my drags.

its most likely the eventual engine knocking/pinging you get from using low octane fuels ie unleaded.

does it sound like your engine is about to fall off? cos that is how it comes across to me sometimes, so i either speed up or slow down, which is annoying because it happens near the 60km/h mark on my car, so i have to go either 70 or 50 to avoid it.

Jiga

Lol dragging etc is never good for your car..... I did it with a packed car and the next week I had a oil leak :( Maybe unrelated, who knows, but stressing the engine is never good!

But ah this wouldnt be the best place to ask about the problem..... there are a NUMBER of things that could be causing the ticking, it could be something minor like a fan, or something alot worse.

It would be wise to take it to a mechanic.

pottsy44

HSC
might be a head gasket or something to do with the pistons, best bet is take it in for a service.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Can you describe it a little bit more? It sounds valve-related to me (does anybody know if the Astra has hydraulic or mechanical lifters?), but could you elaborate on - 'a faint ticking sound when i rev it to 2500rpm'
Does the ticking change rhythm according to the RPM? Is it present after 2500 rpm? Is it present before 2500rpm? Or does it only appear and disappear in a range of 100rpms? Does it sound mechanical? Can you locate it as being inside or out of the engine bay? What exarcebates it?
If it's only momentary, it could just be some plastic part hitting resonance frequency caused by the sound and vibration of the engine at those RPMs. It could be more serious. When was your last oil change, and what's the mileage on the car?
If it were a head gasket, you would have other problems as well - like overheating. Piston problems do not disappear with RPM, and usually become very obvious at high RPM. Either way, as Schoolies said, there's only so much one can do over the internet. Get a mechanic to have a listen.

55psi

HSC
Check the engine oil mate... Im sure its just a simple problem like that.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i opened up the bonnet today and had a listen
i thought it might be the fan belt, but it might be from within
had an oil change 1000km ago. but my dad said it'll be better to use the oil they use for older cars? so that it'll be better or something (not so sure)
its done like 120,000km (2001 model).
it'snot present at idling. and seems to tick at 2000-2500rpm
i'll get it checked out
thanks heaps for the help guys

Last edited:

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Your Dad's got something there. Using an oil for older cars (a heavier, thicker grade) has the added bonus of sealing up clearances that might be getting too big. So it has the effect of 'tightening' up the engine, by making up for loosening metal parts. The disadvantage - is that you can never go back to old oil. Eventually the heavier grade can no longer plug all the gaps, and the problem reappears. If you happen to swich down to a lighter/synthetic grade all of these areas unclog, and the problem comes back redoubled. It's a lesser of two evils.

Yeah, just for interest's sake, post up the diagnosis once the mechanic has his say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)