If anyone has taken one please share ur experiences

i just wanna know what its like tbh and also share any pros/cons
thanks

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
If anyone has taken one please share ur POSITIVE experiences

nah but fr i just wanna hear both sides so yes
I have a couple friends from work/siblings of friends who did gap years that have turned into gap decades
that is quite interesting indeed why do u think that is the case?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
If anyone has taken one please share ur POSITIVE experiences

nah but fr i just wanna hear both sides so yes

because while you’re in that study mode, it is easier to keep going. But once you stop, it’s hard to get going like that again

carrotsss

HSC
people get lazy because they spend a year of doing nothing or at least nothing that uses their brain, people get lonely/depressed because all your hs friends move on to uni and who r u really supposed to be friends with and some people just go sorta insane bc of those things and get into weird stuff

that’s just anecdotal but still imo when considering a gap year it’s worth thinking about whether you’d enjoy a year of whatever you’d do in the gap year (for a lot of people a really boring low paying retail job) vs one more year of your real career that ur actually passionate about. for me it’s a no brainer

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
If anyone has taken one please share ur experiences

i just wanna know what its like tbh and also share any pros/cons
thanks
ohhh now the ucat prep makes sense

if u wanted to do med tho, wouldn't it save u some time to do 3 yrs of undergrad, do good, and do postgrad med? at least that way, if u don't make it into med u don't waste a year and have a tangible qualification

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
ohhh now the ucat prep makes sense

if u wanted to do med tho, wouldn't it save u some time to do 3 yrs of undergrad, do good, and do postgrad med? at least that way, if u don't make it into med u don't waste a year and have a tangible qualification
its more to just take a gap year and figure out what i like, work, gym, build good habits before i enter uni

med would be like a side quest ig i would still try hard for it but its not the ONLy reason for the gap yr

nsw..wollongong

HSC
med would be like a side quest ig i would still try hard for it but its not the ONLy reason for the gap yr
I’m so sorry to tell u this but I’m not sure ur gonna outperform other med candidates who put blood sweat and tears into their prep, with this mentality 😭

srsly tho I rlly recommend u do a Bach degree then try for non standard entry or postgrad, gap yr is a rlly big trap to fall into

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
its more to just take a gap year and figure out what i like, work, gym, build good habits before i enter uni

imo everyone says they're gonna do that, but by the end of the gap year all they've accomplished is a maxxed gta character.

U don't need a year to build a gym habit. I built a consistent gym habit within the first week of yr 11 by literally just going after school.

Also i don't think u need a year out of uni to figure out what u want to do. Out of my seven cousins who've been to uni, five switched degrees somewhere along the line, majority of them in the first year. Although it's a bit of a waste of money, finding out what u want to do at uni whilst at uni is actually a decent way of doing it.

In other words i'd rec against a gap yr 🤷‍♂️ but that's just me cause i'd be bored asf doing one. U do u

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
I’m so sorry to tell u this but I’m not sure ur gonna outperform other med candidates who put blood sweat and tears into their prep, with this mentality 😭

srsly tho I rlly recommend u do a Bach degree then try for non standard entry or postgrad, gap yr is a rlly big trap to fall into
i researched to the depths of reddit they say u only need like 2 months of ucat prep anything more is just a cause for burnout so idk
plus like yeah idk
IDK SOMEONE MAKE MY LIFE CHOICES FOR ME WHO TF DECIDED TO GIVE ME THIS MUCH CONTROL OVER MYSELF

nsw..wollongong

HSC
No. That’s false. It’s different for everyone, some ppl ace it in one month whereas other ppl got a low score despite 4 months of prep. And same goes the other way around. Everyone is different with this sort of thing, but general rule of thumb is start as early as u can to pinpoint the nature of every single question they can possibly give u. This is coming from someone who already did the ucat and I know many ppl that both aced it and failed it with different amts of prep time

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
I took a gap year.
benefical for other reasons too.
I worked throughout the year, gained enough of a savings to fund myself to move away for uni

I also changed what I wanted to do at uni during my gap year, which I think is the most beneficial part of my gap year.
I originally deferred a pharmacy offer, and worked as a pharmacy assistant in a pharmacy, and that convinced me to move to nursing instead.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
I took a gap year.
benefical for other reasons too.
I worked throughout the year, gained enough of a savings to fund myself to move away for uni

I also changed what I wanted to do at uni during my gap year, which I think is the most beneficial part of my gap year.
I originally deferred a pharmacy offer, and worked as a pharmacy assistant in a pharmacy, and that convinced me to move to nursing instead.
love a success story though 👏

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
elaborate?
I mean everyone's replies kinda summed it up

I just don't see how taking a gap year will make ur chances of med any better tbh, it comes down to your ucat and interview both of which can be prepped for while studying. unless you do the postgrad way which I don't think you will

if you genuinely are lost about what you wanna study and feel like uni isn't right for you at the moment then yeah maybe?? the thing is you can build habits, get a job go to the gym and do all that while studying, it might be hard to juggle everything at first but you fall into a rhythm eventually, a gap year just sets you back for no reason (not for everyone)

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
I mean everyone's replies kinda summed it up

I just don't see how taking a gap year will make ur chances of med any better tbh, it comes down to your ucat and interview both of which can be prepped for while studying. unless you do the postgrad way which I don't think you will

if you genuinely are lost about what you wanna study and feel like uni isn't right for you at the moment then yeah maybe?? the thing is you can build habits, get a job go to the gym and do all that while studying, it might be hard to juggle everything at first but you fall into a rhythm eventually, a gap year just sets you back for no reason (not for everyone)
Someone I know took a few year 12 subjects again in their “gap year/second year 12 year”
So they could get a high enough atar to get into med

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
fk thats an option too???
im convincing myself against that the only subject i would have to repeat for a tangible difference to my atar would be english and i wont wanna do that but at the same time ill have too much time doing a gap year so u could study english for hsc as well but to be honest for some reason im having a gut feeling against that like i do not feel like doing that at all
its like for someone whos desperate for med through this pathway and i feel like its not worth it for me to try boost my atar by that much also its like already t2 of yr 12 and yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)