Gay marriage in NSW/Australia (1 Viewer)

should gays be allowed to get married

• yes

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • no

Votes: 49 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Re: should gays be allowed to marry in NSW

blue_chameleon said:
Remember what the topic is about here. This is about gay marriage, not gays in general. My opinions and views are that about gay marriage, not gays in general. With that said, I have a gay cousin, and gay friends, whom I dont discriminate against. All definitions of marriage aside, I dont consider it as a basic right and never would.
so you would have no problem with only certain races being able to marry, since it is not a basic right?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

blue_chameleon said:
Remember what the topic is about here. This is about gay marriage, not gays in general. My opinions and views are that about gay marriage, not gays in general. With that said, I have a gay cousin, and gay friends, whom I dont discriminate against. All definitions of marriage aside, I dont consider it as a basic right and never would.
It is a basic right to not be prevented from doing whatever you want so long as it doesn't harm another human being.

*Minka*

HSC

blue_chameleon said:
I'd consider being allowed to see your partner of fourty years when you are critically ill in a hospital room a basic right. But that right would be denied to homosexuals in many parts of the world where visitation in ICU is only given to parents/partners/children and possibly brothers and sisters.

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC

my answer to the question: yes, they should be allowed to marry

Some of you already expressed my views on this so...

*Minka*

HSC

I just fail to see how telling someone they can't marry because they are gay is any different than telling me I can't marry because I am Croatian/Serbian.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

It isnt and worse still the likes of blue chameleon would say that they think no less of croatian/serbs despite not wanting them to be ablke to marry.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

*Minka* said:
I just fail to see how telling someone they can't marry because they are gay is any different than telling me I can't marry because I am Croatian/Serbian.
The issue for one is based around the sexes of the individuals, and the other is based around the race/nationality of the individuals.

...they think no less of croatian/serbs despite not wanting them to be able to marry.
How is that so hard to comprehend? I thought it would be fairly easily understood that you can be accepting towards something, to a certain extent.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

blue_chameleon said:
The issue for one is based around the sexes of the individuals, and the other is based around the race/nationality of the individuals.

How is that so hard to comprehend? I thought it would be fairly easily understood that you can be accepting towards something, to a certain extent.
But by only be accepting towards something of a certain extent you do think less of them.

blue_chameleon: What about those individuals who do not fit into either sex? Should they have no right to marry anyone?

Comrade nathan

HSC

Both are chauvinist.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

Xayma said:
But by only be accepting towards something of a certain extent you do think less of them.

blue_chameleon: What about those individuals who do not fit into either sex? Should they have no right to marry anyone?
My understanding is that just because somebody doesn't accept an issue such as this, it doesnt necessarily then mean that they think less of people who do support the issue. For example, im sure you have been in a situation where you have disagreed with someone on a particular issue, but still understood their point of view. Thats the whole basis of my stance on the matter.

Also, im not sure if I understand your last point. Humans are either male or female right?

davin

HSC
N/A

agian...there's nothing that says you can't get married if you're gay. the question is who you can marry, not if you can marry.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC

blue_chameleon said:
My understanding is that just because somebody doesn't accept an issue such as this, it doesnt necessarily then mean that they think less of people who do support the issue. For example, im sure you have been in a situation where you have disagreed with someone on a particular issue, but still understood their point of view. Thats the whole basis of my stance on the matter.

Also, im not sure if I understand your last point. Humans are either male or female right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexual
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexual

*Minka*

HSC

So why are you happy to accept some elements of who a person is, such as nationality, but not others such as their sexuality? Neither can be helped and neiether are appropiate grounds for discrimination.

davin

HSC
N/A

point is, the debate isn't that gays should be allowed to married. they can be.
the debate is HOW should marriage be defined.

at this point, there's a cultural definition, though my own view is that there should be at least a comprible legal recognition, even if its not using the term "marriage".

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

davin said:
point is, the debate isn't that gays should be allowed to married. they can be.
the debate is HOW should marriage be defined.

at this point, there's a cultural definition, though my own view is that there should be at least a comprible legal recognition, even if its not using the term "marriage".
Lets extend your argument to intersex marriages then. Oh wait those who don't fit into either male or female are quite stuck trying to find someone of the opposite sex.

Trillium

HSC

I just fail to see why people think they should be able to make decisions about other poeples marriages.
It's their life, their marriage- what gives anyone the right to restrict them from doing what they want (in this case)?
Seriously, it's getting involved in someone else's business to such an extent... gah.
What the hell is it going to do to you?

HotShot

-_-
HSC

just wandering if u marry do you get economic benefit? otherwise why would gays marry? is there any benefit? apart from being called brothers..

gerhard

HSC

just wandering if u marry do you get economic benefit? otherwise why would heterosexual couples marry? is there any benefit? apart from being called husband and wife. ..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

just wandering if u marry do you get economic benefit?
Yes there's an economic benefit, which is why Rorix argues gay marriage should not be allowed - because the purpose of the economic benefit is only to create families. However I've argued there's other purposes of it, some of which I feel serve a greater function.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)