General everything notes. (1 Viewer)

bluebubble

this place can be our general source of help. i haven't got much for J. Hoover, but i could slip in some info that i do have:
* hollywood produced many gangster movies. In 1935 65 movies showing government guys (G men) as the good guys. He was aware of hollywoods power.
* He hated E. Roosevelt and desparate to dig dirt on her cos' she was a self confessed internationalist, and because of some of her political views.
* 1930s: H had built skilled investigative forces. He changed its name to the FBI. At this point agents didn't have guns or authority to arrest. H was determined to change this.

k, hope that helped u's out alittle. can we get some feedback going and then this can turn into some sort of study guide...:spam:

bluebubble

* There was a document called the "D list" which, in case of Hoover's death or other cataclysmic events, specified the destruction of certain files, films and audio tapes. Shortly after Hoover's death, the "D List" was circulated to a few key FBI officials.
* Curt Gentry in J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and His Secrets describes the nature of the files: "....their contents included blackmail material on the patriarch of an American political dynasty, his sons, their wives, and other women; allegations of two homosexual arrests which Hoover leaked to help defeat a witty, urbane Democratic presidential candidate; the surveillance reports on one of America's best-known first ladies and her alleged lovers, both male and female, white and black; the child molestation documentation the director used to control and manipulate one of the Red-baiting proteges; a list of the Bureau's spies in the White House during the eight administrations when Hoover was FBI director; the forbidden fruit of hundreds of illegal wiretaps and bugs, containing, for example, evidence that an attorney general (and later Supreme Court justice) had received payoffs from the Chicago syndicate; as well as celebrity files, with all the unsavory gossip Hoover could amass on some of the biggest names in show business."
:headbang:

Lolliana

Key things you must remember about Hoover-

Palmer Raids 1919
Prohibition (Volstead act 1920)
Gangsterism
The Depression

these are all major events, that had animpact of JEH life and career

for USA, remember that they havent, as yet, asked any questions about the beginning of the course (Turner theory, manifest destiny) and the end (New Deals), same goes for VIetnam, if your doing that too

Industrialisation, progressivism and unionism are topics that havent been discusssed in depth, that are really important, the 'turn towards social conservatism and change to welfare policies' is also something you ought to know a lot about.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I can help anybody out with:
*WWI
*20th Century Germany
*Cold War 1946-1991

If anybody needs any notes on any of those, just PM me.

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
Originally posted by sweet_lil_sandy

how many of you are doing conflict in indochina ??
yeah, im doing indochina. and as with many of my other subjects we only just started studying it (a couple of weeks ago) and it is still in our trials.. dont know how im going to do.. i kinda like this topic though (and all the others - russia) so it should be good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)