General Maths and Standard English (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know, for a fact, that General Maths is a sorry excuse for a subject. A quick look at my friend's General Maths textbook shows them learning about significant figures, collecting like terms and basic arithmetic.

Now, I'm not sure about Standard English - as there is no 'textbook' per se, and the only snippets of work I can see from them are that they are analysing some sort of Banjo Patterson poem. Also, I do know that they'll be doing Belonging as well, and do not do Shakespeare.

My questions are:

Is General Maths a sorry excuse for a subject? What differentiates Standard English from Advanced English? Is Standard English a sorry excuse for a subject?

technicolour

HSC
I don't know about Standard English, but yes general is actually a sorry excuse for a subject. Sadly, I still do it. I suppose it does teach data analysis and consumer maths, but overall, yeah it's pretty terrible.

Rage01

HSC
A very small proportion of the state get band 6 in standard english.
I dunno why someone would do standard anyway, it looks to be about the same amount of work as advanced.

shady145

Banned
HSC
A very small proportion of the state get band 6 in standard english.
I dunno why someone would do standard anyway, it looks to be about the same amount of work as advanced.
to sort all the people that are crap at english in one group and all the good people in the other?
i did it because im shit at english

HSC
Uni Grad
General is year 9 and 10 work, I wtfed when I decided to take a look at past HSC papers a few months ago, sorry excuse indeed.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
to sort all the people that are crap at english in one group and all the good people in the other?
i did it because im shit at english
Yar. English is gay anyway =="

From what i've been told and observed, standard english students describe whereas advanced english students analyse. So i don't think standard english is "sorry excuse for a subject" but it just approaches texts in a different way to advanced english.

On the other hand, general maths is just an extension of year 9 and 10 maths and they have some really retarded things in the course XD

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For having a degrading or detrimental prefix?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i reckon general maths would be easier than the stuff we did in year 9 + year 10, because we actually did stuff like logarithms back in year 10, polynomials, etc. so yes it is a sorry excuse to do

standard english, like someone said, is just about analysing texts in different ways.

imo, standard english > general maths in terms of difficulty.

shady145

Banned
HSC
i reckon general maths would be easier than the stuff we did in year 9 + year 10, because we actually did stuff like logarithms back in year 10, polynomials, etc. so yes it is a sorry excuse to do

standard english, like someone said, is just about analysing texts in different ways.

imo, standard english > general maths in terms of difficulty.
>.>
i dnt remember doing these in early years...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So I assume Standard English is about the "what", and Advanced English is about the "how", which of course means techniques... I hate how you have to add techniques even if they don't ask for it.

Oh well.

And yes, General do logarithmic graphs... I saw it in the textbook!

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
So I assume Standard English is about the "what", and Advanced English is about the "how", which of course means techniques... I hate how you have to add techniques even if they don't ask for it.

Oh well.

And yes, General do logarithmic graphs... I saw it in the textbook!
Well you've assumed wrong. I did standard in prelim and you do have to analyze, explain and discuss the texts to get anything above a band 3. In fact, most of the course was spent examining techniques and their effects. Looking at advanced english, I do not think it's necessarily any more difficult than standard. There's just more restrictions on the type of texts you use and most of the students in your class do drama -.-.

technicolour

HSC
Advanced is just *really* conceptually based, which means that you have to link every freaking technique you see to a specific meaning within the text. I really have no idea whether you have to do the same in standard, but I'm just trying to identify the differences here. I think standard seems to be a continuation of the stuff we did in year 10, and advanced is just a whole new level of mind-boggling analysis.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
i reckon general maths would be easier than the stuff we did in year 9 + year 10, because we actually did stuff like logarithms back in year 10, polynomials, etc.
Only good schools will teach you that, i think that 2u maths is doable for most people, its not that hard.

kyokaku92

HSC
Indeed, maths is not my strongest subject but "G-unit" is such a joke, anyone can get 100% without knowing the syllabus content. Not too sure about Standard English though

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Indeed, maths is not my strongest subject but "G-unit" is such a joke, anyone can get 100% without knowing the syllabus content. Not too sure about Standard English though
Depends, I know people who dropped down to general and were unpleasantly surprised that they failed because general math is a whole different course. Personally, I'd fail at general because they delve into surface area, volumes and statistics which I especially hate D:

Kakuzu11245

HSC
General Math is easy but most of the kids were struggling with shit like that in year 10, and they don't find it easy...I wouldn't call it a joke subject, joke subject = Business Services ;P doesn't matter how stupid you are, you will find it easy

OOh and btw.. a lot of guys don't get 100% lol, but they're not dumb... I know on my part that I had ADHD as for a long time, its pretty much gone now but it really fucked up my learning of basic maths.. There are many guys who failed to apply themselves to math, it's all too easy to say that General Math is an easy subject to everyone, when you yourself have understood math throughout your previous years, ya they're not the worlds smartest people, but in my experience ;/ most of my peers are struggling...

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I told my maths co-ordinator that some people in General were struggling to collect like terms in: "4x + 5xy - x", and he was like, "Why are they even doing Maths? No wait, why are they even in school?!"

Then he facepalmed.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I told my maths co-ordinator that some people in General were struggling to collect like terms in: "4x + 5xy - x", and he was like, "Why are they even doing Maths? No wait, why are they even in school?!"

Then he facepalmed.
Typical calibre of general maths students, cannot go past simple arithmetic in their adolescent years.

hence why 2u mathematics is a better choice and it is proper mathematics for the right age group.

general may be easier but fall below the top of the class and your final hsc mark drops considerably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)