general maths v 2 unit (1 Viewer)

blueyez

HSC
yeah, ive never regreted my choice to switch, i was getting 25% in 2u assesments, then 89% in general. i thought id be better to do alright in general than to completely suck at 2u.

anyway i want to do b. arts in media or somthing along those lines at uni, and those courses dont need maths.

thanks for the advice.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
foofoo_16 said:
Hey my subjects are.. advanced eng, economics, legal studies, chemistry, religion studies, biology! im very bad in maths so i dropped it..and i didn't think of doing general maths because i know i wont get a 90..which is what you need! If im bad at maths shuld i keep on doin economcs n chemistry..or will i have problemz??some have told me economics and chem have a lot of maths involved...is that true? im in a selective school and everyone says doin 2Unit or advanced maths is realy important...or u'll get a bad UAI. and also i dont want2 do anythin that involves maths in UNI.
there is very little maths involved in eco or chemistry. its literally yr 8 maths, some simple algebra, some substitutions and some general calculations. thats pretty much all the maths you need.

if ur not doing maths, and u want a good UAI, then u'd better work your butt off so that u can get over 90 in ur assessments. having or not having maths doesnt guarantee a good UAI.

jujujellybean

I'm a speck of sand, surrounded by... more specks
HSC
I have a question. I do standard english, chem, bio, modern history, maths 2U and studies of religion 1U (compulsory). If I am interested in achieving a reasonably high UAI, would it be wise to drop to General? also what kind of marks would I need to be getting in these subjects? :bomb:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
jujujellybean said:
I have a question. I do standard english, chem, bio, modern history, maths 2U and studies of religion 1U (compulsory). If I am interested in achieving a reasonably high UAI, would it be wise to drop to General? also what kind of marks would I need to be getting in these subjects? :bomb:
Only if you are struggling in 2 unit maths, and think that you can get a much better mark in general maths than 2 unit maths. If you get high marks in your other subjects, maths shouldn't stop you from getting the UAI you are aiming for, which is a reasonably high one, using your words.

crag10

HSC
I am in a similar situatuion to alot of you - I am currently deciding whether to drop from 2U to General, or drop maths entirely. I seem to think that there is something stopping you from gaining a high UAI from General - for example, someone with the ability to do 4U could do general simply to gain a high UAI. So there must be something stopping people from screwing with the system like this isn't there? Please help.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
crag10 said:
I am in a similar situatuion to alot of you - I am currently deciding whether to drop from 2U to General, or drop maths entirely. I seem to think that there is something stopping you from gaining a high UAI from General - for example, someone with the ability to do 4U could do general simply to gain a high UAI. So there must be something stopping people from screwing with the system like this isn't there? Please help.
lol, why would someone who can do 4u do general? It wont make much sense.

crag10

HSC
I am simply suggesting, hypothetically, that someone could screw with the system to get a perfect 100 in maths - there must be something stopping them from doing this!?

Agree? Disagree?

crag10

HSC
Sorry just read your message on the next page Asheroth.

crag_10

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
politik said:
At my school last year one of the students bought the CSSA General (and he had access to others) two weeks before the exam (and was selling copies) and ended up getting 84. The funniest thing was that the teachers were so oblivious to the fact that he was averaging 40 before the Trial. Either way, he probably failed the HSC exam but the truth is that its not too hard to skew the results.
how did he buy it lol?

gracielou007

HSC
i did 2u maths for all of year 11 and half or year 12 and have recently dropped down to general because i dont enjoy 2u and im not going to use it but i didnt want to drop maths altogether. general is much easier but there are still things that i need to learn and its frustrating because i can vaguely remember things from year 9 and 10. so im madly trying to squish in study just before the half yearlys. i wish i had dropped down sooner though

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
crag10 said:
I don't think you can do general if you do 4U maths.

In regards to dropping from 2U to general, it really depends on what you want to learn. If your planing to do anything science/engineering related general maths will basicly do you no good at all. 2U doesn't really help either, you really have to do 3U to get anything that will aid you in uni.

In conclusion, if you are going to do arts degree, you are better off doing general maths and spending your time getting better marks in your other subjects. I don't think it is a good idea to not do any maths at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)