General Question: Commonwealth supported places.... (1 Viewer)

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
Do most people who study in Aus Uni's get a commonwealth supported place? / why would people apply for full paying domestic?

Thanks

~kiki

HSC
To get a CSP place you need to receive a certain UAI. This differs between courses. The UAI for a DFEE place is often up to 5 points lower then the UAI for a CSP place-- basically its like paying your way into uni :/ Full fees are generally about 3/4 times as much as the "student contribution" CSP students have to pay.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Pommy babe said:
Do most people who study in Aus Uni's get a commonwealth supported place? / why would people apply for full paying domestic?

Thanks
People pay for full fee paying places is that they wish to do a course for which their UAI was a bit under the cut-off for a CSP.

e.g. last year my niece was offered two places at uni - one CSP and one FFP. She chose the latter because it was the course she wanted to do and was closer to home whereas the CSP she was offered meant leaving home and doing her second choice course.

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
oh ok... so if you applied for a CSP could you be turned down and offered a FFP?

~kiki

HSC
* For some reason I couldn't edit my post :p. I was going to say-- some unis don't offer DFEE places, and some courses only have CSP places.

an example of the UAI difference between CSP and DFEE

B. Industrial Design at UTS:
CSP UAI: 80.25
DFEE UAI: 75

B. Civil Engineering at UTS:
CSP UAI: 85
DFEE UAI: 75

B. Arts in Communication (Journalism) at UTS:
CSP UAI: 95.40
DFEE UAI: 90

~kiki

HSC
Pommy babe said:
oh ok... so if you applied for a CSP could you be turned down and offered a FFP?
In your application to UAC, you can apply for either a CSP or a DFEE place. You won't be offered a DFEE place unless you've applied for one. What someone might do is put a CSP place for a course as their first preference and as their second preference have the same course but a DFEE place. This would usually occur if someone was really desperate to get into a particular course but wasn't sure if they were going to make it. DFEE students have to pay their fees upfront I think-- many people actually wouldn't be able to afford a DFEE place/ don't want to fork out 80k for uni (it would be pointless for the uni to offer it to them)

w2dot

HSC
I dont know about other states, but in victoria you can be offered a CSP as well as a Domestic (but not for the same course) provided you applied for both types. Internationals have to pay international fees which are higher than domestic

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Pommy babe said:
Do most people who study in Aus Uni's get a commonwealth supported place?
Yep. The vast, vast majority.

kennychan222

HSC
The majority of Aussies would like to apply CSP rather than DFEE because they wanna save money and they obtain UAI higher than the cut-offs easily.

For me, All courses that I applied are all CSP.

panicstation

HSC
and the good thing is that the Labor Government is getting rid of all the domestic fee paying places.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
kennychan222 said:
I don't have any ideas how Labor Government manage Education policy. But Truthfully, it would like raise more fund on higher Education.
Learn to speak English.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Also only permanent residents and australian citizens can get CSP places. Judging by your posts you're looking at an international spot, and that's even more expensive than DFEE.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
NZ citizens can get CSP as well, but they have to pay upfront.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Triangulum said:
Oh yeah, permanent residents can get CSP but the contribution needs to be paid upfront without the 20% discount. So basically only Aust. Citizens can take full advantage of the system.

Metric

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
I think this is also the case with permanent residents, the government will contribute but you can't defer your contribution through the tax system. Someone correct me if I am wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)