General Scholarship Questions (1 Viewer)

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
2 things I want to ask:

1. When you're asked "Why did you choose to do this degree?" - what's the best way to go about answering it?

I'm doing engineering, because:
I like it
I'll probably be good at it
I'll make bucketloads of money out of it

So is this basically the bare bones of what I should say? I constantly get the impression that they're looking for a specific type of answer demonstrating certain qualities, but I'm not particularly sure what it is I should be emphasising. Somehow just saying you're passionate about it seems a bit cliched and insincere, especially if they've read 50 other applications saying the same thing.

2. When you put down your UAC preferences, do universities have access to your preferences at UAC themselves and can they check it? I'm applying for scholarships at more than one university, and I'm afraid this will cut me out of those universities that aren't first choice.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hurikai said:
2 things I want to ask:

1. When you're asked "Why did you choose to do this degree?" - what's the best way to go about answering it?

I'm doing engineering, because:
I like it
I'll probably be good at it
I'll make bucketloads of money out of it

So is this basically the bare bones of what I should say? I constantly get the impression that they're looking for a specific type of answer demonstrating certain qualities, but I'm not particularly sure what it is I should be emphasising. Somehow just saying you're passionate about it seems a bit cliched and insincere, especially if they've read 50 other applications saying the same thing.

2. When you put down your UAC preferences, do universities have access to your preferences at UAC themselves and can they check it? I'm applying for scholarships at more than one university, and I'm afraid this will cut me out of those universities that aren't first choice.
Hey mate, yea i think you just have to balance it. Don't just emphasise the money though, but attempt to say your 'passionate' in a new and original way. Last year i must of went for 3 different scholarship interviews; for law, engineering and commerce. I told them straight up I was interested in other options and many of them were responsive to it and in fact if they like you enough they may make you an offer to try and persuade you to study their course.

Having said that, i think they must have access to your preferences as when i went to Law they noticed that at the time i had commerce/engineering above law and they were very intrigued.

Good Luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)