General Trial Questions (1 Viewer)

crimsonking

HSC
1. The trials is supposed to be an accurate guideline of how you are going to go in the HSC exam?

2. The trials is seen as a separate internal mark compared to assessments?

3. Too avoid 'bad' scaling, one must go better in the HSC than in the trial/internal?

I've asked those two question because I'm starting to get worried about scaling now (don't tell me to go to the other board [I have]).

Reasons for asking question:

1. My legal teacher has pretty much told us what is in our assessment (printed out a sheet of what will be asked), circumstances such as people getting 20% is probably the main reason for doing it. I was talking to her last week and she said that I was a band 6 student. But now we have what will be asked, how accurate is the trial compared to the HSC going to be?

2. If I go better in the trials (don't want to sound cocky), but now my teacher has given us that sheet, I'm pretty sure that I will get over 90%.

3. My friend who got 91 for his UAI said something like this 'your HSc mark should be > trials, and trials should be > than internal assessment'. So should I be worried about being affected by scaling? Should I go 'easy' in the trials and get something around 80%?

BTW, if you are going to answer questions about the scaling, please put it in Leyman's terms (no words like 'moderation, cohort', etc - I've tried understanding those threads, but it hasn't hit me)

crimsonking

HSC
Thank you for the reply, but for '3', what if I get something like 95% in the trials, 90% internal and get something like 80-85 in the HSC? WHich I think is the case for me.

Also, is teachers giving studnets a 'hint' common practice in the trials? (In defence of my teacher, the class is failing real bad and this is the only way to get the marks up. Bare in mind, many in my class are getting an apprenticeship after yr 12, so that syas how much they care and thats why my teacher gave the 'hint')

crimsonking

HSC
Well my rank is number 1.

This mark gets "scaled" based on how well your school performs in the HSC exam

Well the class average I would guess is about 50%, so if I get 80-85% in the HSc (coming first in both internal and external what would happen?), I remember a friend saying that rank 1 and 2 is immune to 'bad' scaling.

Thanks for the reply, if anything, now I will be studying even harder for legal.

crimsonking

HSC
Well thanks for the info Wings, but I am going to avoid that link - words such as 'moderation, cohort, etc' give me headaches.

Just one last question - does scaling even affect ppl that much? What's the rose that can happen? 2 UAI?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
scaling has an effect on the individual aligned HSC marks that you will receive for every course you complete. It's based on how everyone performed (eg if it was a really easy test then they might decide to scale it down) and dependant on the rank you have within your school and dependant on where you sit on the bell curve (ie how many standard deviations u are away from the mean etc)

it is these individual marks however, that will ultimately determine the calculated UAI you receive, so any variation in these scaled marks, will have an affect on UAI. regardless of all the above, if you do your best in all subjects and get generally at least 2 standard deviations away from the average (towards the higher bands) then scaling wont affect you much at all.

crimsonking

HSC
Here is a scenario for you abusef.

* 19 people in legal
* I'm ranked 1 and my mark (1/2 yearlies [it's all i got that is substantial]) is 86%
* Last assessment 4 people passed, I got 100% and many poeple got around 25% - and this is what I think will happen in the HSC (except for me getting 100%)

So.......go figure.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
crimsonking said:
Here is a scenario for you abusef.

* 19 people in legal
* I'm ranked 1 and my mark (1/2 yearlies [it's all i got that is substantial]) is 86%
* Last assessment 4 people passed, I got 100% and many poeple got around 25% - and this is what I think will happen in the HSC (except for me getting 100%)

So.......go figure.
from what your telling me, it looks quite promising for you. however, there is the worry that those at the bottom at the pile, considering that their marks are substantially lower than yours may bring you down in scaling marks. they'll look at the mark difference and how the group performed as a whole and see that although you might be gunning it, the rest for example could be like 20 marks below you. meaning that on a whole, your school did not perform as well.

nevertheless, do not let this deter you. try your best to gun all your trials (if you are like me and havent even started them yet :p) and i'm sure you'll be fine. don't get yourself too caught up with scaling etc... just work to hold on to your top rank! :)

crimsonking

HSC
there is the worry that those at the bottom at the pile, considering that their marks are substantially lower than yours may bring you down in scaling marks

That's what I'm worried about too.

But if I'm ranked as number 1, am I immune to that scaling?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
crimsonking said:
But if I'm ranked as number 1, am I immune to that scaling?
Not completely. You will keep the top rank, however there is nothing to say that your mark won't be affected.

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
you will keep top rank, but u will be effected by other people's performances.

as much as u can scale people from the 20's to the 50's, the bottom people can scale you down. by what percentage im not sure. ... though im not too sure about that. i might be wrong soo yeah.

but 1st rank is the best to get in schoool.

crimsonking

HSC
Wings! What did i say about the scaling jargon (thanks for the info btw).

I think I'll have a chat with my legal teacher and career advisor on this topic.

But one last question.

Im guessing:

If my internal mark is 85% and my external 90% (with the bad scaling due to my class), I can't get less that 855 can I?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)