general UNSW chit-chat (2 Viewers)

elfm

HSC
you'd be surprised how many people clog up the walking side on the escalators... it happens everywhere

yea that lady at level 4 today was so random.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
One lady brought me a cup of water, she was pleasant, probably the most pleasant of all the exam hags.

The view from level 4 toward the uni is very nice, if only I had a digital camera.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
One lady brought me a cup of water, she was pleasant, probably the most pleasant of all the exam hags.

The view from level 4 toward the uni is very nice, if only I had a digital camera.
I just ask to go to the toilets and drink it from the tap...since that's where they get the water from anyways.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
elfm said:
you'd be surprised how many people clog up the walking side on the escalators... it happens everywhere
In both of my randwick exams, the entire 'down' ramp convoy has been one long line of people after the exam, so my friends and I just jogged down the 'up' sides. Easy quick escape while everyone else waits and waits and waits.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Gah, another thing that pissed me orf, i was sitting in A1 right next to the damn water cooler dispenser thingy. Every couple of minutes, that sound. Made me need to pee.

gman03

HSC
I feel bad being separated from my "intelligence agents". Feel so lost :(

Last edited:

snowblack

bleh
HSC
Curry said:
You guys winge so much. I got 6 exams.
I had 8 and 7 of them were in the last week of uni so I didn't even get a stuvac to study.
On the plus side, I have 6 weeks off :)

gman03

HSC
snowblack said:
I had 8 and 7 of them were in the last week of uni so I didn't even get a stuvac to study.
On the plus side, I have 6 weeks off :)
How's that 6 weeks?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
RCMasterAA said:
Anyone know why I only have to pay $204 for my fees?
Are you a member of a sporting association? Did you give them more money then you were supposed to last term?

And that's another thing. Why should the members of sporting clubs get their member fees deducted from their complusory contribution, when they're the ones using what we're paying for the most? Does anyone else have a problem with the fact that we have to pay for what they're using.

I can't wait for VSU.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
And that's another thing. Why should the members of sporting clubs get their member fees deducted from their complusory contribution, when they're the ones using what we're paying for the most? Does anyone else have a problem with the fact that we have to pay for what they're using.
Hell yes, it's completely unfair. One thing we agree on!

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Does anyone else have a problem with the fact that we have to pay for what they're using.
Precisely, these groups are nothing more than parasites, exploiting a loophole in the law for their own benefit.

T

Tom Ruprecht

Nebuchanezzar said:
Are you a member of a sporting association? Did you give them more money then you were supposed to last term?

I can't wait for VSU.
People should pay for these things. It's like high school fees. If you went to a public school, technically you didn't have to pay anything - you didn't have to pay basic photocopying costs, course materials costs, P&C and Foundation fees, or school sport costs. But if you wanted to play afternoon basketball or touch footy, you could and wouldn't have to fork out a fortune.

Your Union fees pay for so much more than sport.

They pay for:
- The Roundhouse
- Volunteer activities
- Artsweek
- O-Week - UNSW has the biggest O-Week campaign out of all the NSW unis, that's what makes our campus life so vibrant.
- Esmes
- Coffee Republic
- Zippys
- That photocopy/printing/binding place at Blockhouse
- Music rooms and computer rooms.
- Staff for those facilities.

Lots of people use those facilities, and you'd like them too if you made the most of your fees and used them too.

Unlike other unis, we don't have as many impressive alumni to give huge donations.

Paying fees means that this uni doesn't go down the drain and have second-rate facilities, because that will surely be the result once VSU comes in.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Tom Ruprecht said:
People should pay for these things. It's like high school fees. If you went to a public school, technically you didn't have to pay anything - you didn't have to pay basic photocopying costs, course materials costs, P&C and Foundation fees, or school sport costs. But if you wanted to play afternoon basketball or touch footy, you could and wouldn't have to fork out a fortune.

Your Union fees pay for so much more than sport.

They pay for:
- The Roundhouse
- Volunteer activities
- Artsweek
- O-Week - UNSW has the biggest O-Week campaign out of all the NSW unis, that's what makes our campus life so vibrant.
- Esmes
- Coffee Republic
- Zippys
- That photocopy/printing/binding place at Blockhouse
- Music rooms and computer rooms.
- Staff for those facilities.

Lots of people use those facilities, and you'd like them too if you made the most of your fees and used them too.

Unlike other unis, we don't have as many impressive alumni to give huge donations.

Paying fees means that this uni doesn't go down the drain and have second-rate facilities, because that will surely be the result once VSU comes in.
People don't go to uni to play sport, era. People choose to attend university to educate them in a suitable area for their career.

And this isn't high school -- by this stage in people's lives if they want to play sport they can do it of their own expenses, join their own private teams and clubs. They should not expect people going to an institution to train their mind to have to pay for a small minority (~25% of students) to have fun with their body.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Tom Ruprecht said:

You're kidding right? If the uni. doesn't have any money, how come it's constantly under a state of construction build all these buildings? As cool as they are, we don't really need them do we? Also, you forget about the huge population of international students which give us money.

If VSU comes, there will certainly be a reduction in parties and such things, but I doubt facilites and the uni. intergrity would suffer.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Curry said:
You're kidding right? If the uni. doesn't have any money, how come it's constantly under a state of construction build all these buildings? As cool as they are, we don't really need them do we? Also, you forget about the huge population of international students which give us money.
That's quite misguided. Universities are in fact very underfunded.

The new law building had to be financed through a comprehensive fundraising and investment scheme. The university was not simply bursting with extra revenue that it decided to splash it out on new buildings. As for it not being needed, it was well overdue. The same location had been used since 30+ years ago when the faculty opened. Additionally, the University of Sydney was also planning to construct a new law building. To be competitive and stay near equal with the country's top law school it was certainly a sound initiative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)