General UTS chit-chat (3 Viewers)

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and Remember to get your stationery ready!' Thread

I am already behind lol, I have to do a like a few pages of answers to questions in like my first seminar... oh well I'm going to finish it off and try to get ahead...

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

Huratio said:
onoes... AIT tomorrow =(
Please tell me you were as lost as me today in that AIT lecture if you went. omg lol!

I had no idea what he was saying half the time and all that assumed knowledge crap..I know some of it but other stuff is just too much! I so feel like withdrawing from this subject! It seems so hard!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ragnarok said:
Please tell me you were as lost as me today in that AIT lecture if you went. omg lol!

I had no idea what he was saying half the time and all that assumed knowledge crap..I know some of it but other stuff is just too much! I so feel like withdrawing from this subject! It seems so hard!
I was lost about 90% of the lecture =(

Remember I am only doing IMP this semester, so I seriously have no idea how to write CSS, Javascript, CGI. I have not done Object-Oriented Programming since Autumn, 2006; which I have forgot all of it =(.

I'm going to email Robert and Stefan about the prerequisites too; because they are assuming alot of things for us Bus/Comp students who have only touched Java in OOP. We don't have DCA (Distributed Computing Architecture) knowledge either that BScIT students would have done =/

I'm also considering withdrawing from this and doing Internet Commerce (lol). I feel that if I stay in it, I will fail both the assignments and also get sub 50% in the final; which will obviously be not good for my average =(

Last edited:

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

Huratio said:
I was lost about 90% of the lecture =(

Remember I am only doing IMP this semester, so I seriously have no idea how to write CSS, Javascript, CGI. I have not done Object-Oriented Programming since Autumn, 2006; which I have forgot all of it =(.

I'm going to email Robert and Stefan about the prerequisites too; because they are assuming alot of things for us Bus/Comp students who have only touched Java in OOP. We don't have DCA (Distributed Computing Architecture) knowledge either that BScIT students would have done =/

I'm also considering withdrawing from this and doing Internet Commerce (lol). I feel that if I stay in it, I will fail both the assignments and also get sub 50% in the final; which will obviously be not good for my average =(
I don't know CSS or CGI either. I also did OOP like a year ago so I barely remember that too. I don't even remember how to import packages and create a class lol ;D

I was thinking that exact thing. Bus/Comp students should NOT be allowed to chose IBT :( It's too technical for a large percentage of us.

Honestly, I just want to pass AIT at the moment. Sure it'll wreck havoc with my average but it shouldn't do too much in the long run especially if I don't go under a D. I've heard the final exam isn't too bad i.e. theory based and not technical (no writing code). Has stuff like on security etc.? I'm not too sure actually.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

I haven't fulfilled the prerequisites either =/

Long story cut short- I've only done OOP; not Programming Fundamentals which I got exempted for when I transferred from BScIT.

I've emailed Robert and Stefan already.. wonder what they will say.

vojnik

HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and Bludge in Week 1!' Thread

Seeing as I transfered from UWS to UTS I know hwo the pleasure of posting on the UTS forams :p

So far so good, Im begginging to think I will really enjoy engineering this semester.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

physics was soooooooo boring
definitely not looking forward to that, although principles of forensic is a lot more interesting to study.
Damn 10-6 day tomorrow...soo fucking screwed >,<

raiders771

HSC

i know how u feel i had a 10-9 day last semester on the friday... killed my life and my friday nights

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC

I don't know why you guys are complaining. I'd swap timetables with anyone anyday.
Hows 10-9 on a Wednesday sound?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Ragnarok- I've withdrawn from AIT and changed it to Internet Commerce this semester.

I hope completing IMP this semester and Distributed Database Programming and Administration (31099) next semester will give me a better understanding of AIT when I plan to do it in Spring, 2008.

Horrible times for Internet Commerce though... Wednesday 6-7:30PM lecture and 7:30-9PM tutorial. I emailed the subject coordinator to try to squeeze into the lone 4:30PM-6PM tutorial though, hopefully I can get a spot in it =/

I'm also considering moving my sub-major to Mobile Programming (which I can) lol.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

ragnarok said:
I was thinking that exact thing. Bus/Comp students should NOT be allowed to chose IBT :( It's too technical for a large percentage of us.

Honestly, I just want to pass AIT at the moment. Sure it'll wreck havoc with my average but it shouldn't do too much in the long run especially if I don't go under a D. I've heard the final exam isn't too bad i.e. theory based and not technical (no writing code). Has stuff like on security etc.? I'm not too sure actually.

Well this is one reason they have now standardised the IT courses, so now anyone doing any elective/major/sub-major subjects should have the same core knowledge =) It's true though in the old course those doing BScIT probably had more of an advantage in programming and I suppose I was lucky enough to have done this and done AIT before I transferred.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

They should have done it ages ago =/

Some of my friends are jumping to the new course now.. BBus/BScIT- not sure what I will do. My study plan is so confusing now.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

Huratio said:
I'm also considering moving my sub-major to Mobile Programming (which I can) lol.
I wanna change sub-majors too but I've already done IC and OOP. That'll be a 'waste' of my 'electives' if I move to a new sub-major. I so want to do Internetworking now.

I really don't know how I'll make it through AIT.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Email reply from Robert:
Robert said:
In the end the decision of course is yours as to whether you do AIT
this semester.

However, AIT is a very challenging subject (maybe one of the most
challenging undergrad subjects) for which you should have quite
strong skills already. If you have doubts as to your ability to do
AIT this semester, it may well be best to defer until the next
semester.

Regards,
Robert

ragnarok said:
I wanna change sub-majors too but I've already done IC and OOP. That'll be a 'waste' of my 'electives' if I move to a new sub-major. I so want to do Internetworking now.

I really don't know how I'll make it through AIT.
Yeah, you'll have to do Networking 2 to enter Internetworking too =/

I can enter Mobile Programming if I want to- because I can shove IMP onto my 6cp elective and IC is actually an elective in MP.
But I'll think about it and probably decide at the end of the semester.

GL in AIT this semester though; let me know what you thought about it afterwards =)

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

AIT is one of the hardest and challenging programming subjects in FIT, due to its content. If you manage to understand it at a good level, then you should consider yourself a good programmer.

Anyways, from my experience, it's one of those subjects that will require you to spend a lot of time outside of class. I had troubles with this subject towards the start, but I spent a lot of hours researching and looking at examples online (on top of doing SDP) and I managed to understand it pretty well and be one of the few people to actually fully complete the second assignment, lol. I did this subject in the first semester it was taught, so we had no past examples and the lectures and topics were created as the subject went along!

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

jasee said:
AIT is one of the hardest and challenging programming subjects in FIT, due to its content. If you manage to understand it at a good level, then you should consider yourself a good programmer.

Anyways, from my experience, it's one of those subjects that will require you to spend a lot of time outside of class. I had troubles with this subject towards the start, but I spent a lot of hours researching and looking at examples online (on top of doing SDP) and I managed to understand it pretty well and be one of the few people to actually fully complete the second assignment, lol. I did this subject in the first semester it was taught, so we had no past examples and the lectures and topics were created as the subject went along!
I really want to keep it now but given that I've only done OOP, I don't think it'll be enough to get me through unless I spend A LOT of time studying 'extra' stuff.
However, time isn't something I really have right now.

Let me work this out..I only have PMQA, SITPP, AIT and ITPS left to do for my IT side. And currently have 3 semesters (or 6 subjects). This means I have 2 other electives to choose? Perhaps I should choose a couple of subjects that will help me with AIT and don't require extensive assumed knowledge?

That said, what other subject(s) do you recommend to be done prior to doing AIT? I may just do it next year instead.

Also, did you purchase any textbooks for AIT?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

Any other programming subject would help before doing AIT. You just need to develop your programming skills, that's all. If you can do something like Mobile Programming, then that is probably the best subject to prepare you for AIT.

I didn't get a textbook for AIT. Just used the stuff we got in class and did my own research online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)