Generation of a current in a loop of wire (1 Viewer)

Motvoo

HSC
Hey guys. Quick question on inducing a current. Lets say I have a closed loop of coil and next to it I have a live wire with current going down the wire (think of it from a bird's eye view). So if the current in the wire is increasing, then which direction will the induced current flow, clockwise or anti-clockwise?

I get the easy induced current questions with the left-hand rule for generators but I'm not really sure what's moving in this scenario.
This is a question from the Jacaranda HSC textbook in Ch.7 (if anyone wanted to know :S)

THANKS!!! in advance.

Attachments

W

whatup1

its a shame, I am doing electrical engineering at uni and im not going to help u, because u guys are jerks :p

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
increasing current ---> increasing magnetic field ---> due to lenz's law an induced current in the coil will be generated such that it will oppose the original change in flux, the direction of this induced current will be counter-clockwise if u figure it out.

jamesfirst

HSC
Yes adding onto stampede's answer

I drew a diagram. The induced current will produce a magnetic field which opposes the original magnetic field generated by the supplied current (Lenz's law)

The green crosses and dots are the flux and the red arrow is the direction of the induced current.

Attachments

Motvoo

HSC
Thank you very much stampede and jamesfirst. I really appreciate you guys taking a bit of your time to help me. Especially jamesfirst's diagram, that was extremely helpful.

Thanks again for your assistance mr. stampede & mr. jamesfirst!!!!

jamesfirst

HSC
Oh forgot to mention. I knew the direction of the flux by using the Right hand grip rule :)

Motvoo

HSC
yeah i know the right hand grip rule but i didn't know how to use it.
Thanks again for your help. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)