generic condensation polymer equation (1 Viewer)

The bibliophile

HSC
doing a success q'n they ask for an equation to represent teh formation of a condensation polymer.

my answer: R(1) - OH + R(2) - OH -> R(1)-O-R(2) +H20

their answer: n(C6H1206) -> -----(C6H10O5)n------ + nH20

does anyone know if i would still get it right, ie are they the same thing? and also where did they get their answer from?

Azreil

HSC
That equation is the condensation of glucose into cellulose.

I think that they may have been looking for a specific example rather than the general equation. Problem with yours is that despite the fact condensation nearly always includes water, it doesn't always.

Apart from that it looks okay.

adnan91

HSC
2 glucose molecules give one water molecule so n-1 water molecules not n

but your original answer is correct for condensation polymerisation of two monomers with different funtional groups

kooltrainer

HSC
just draw the whole structural formula... theres been quite lot confusion if doing n(...) is good enough..

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
adnan91 said:
2 glucose molecules give one water molecule so n-1 water molecules not n

but your original answer is correct for condensation polymerisation of two monomers with different funtional groups
I don't think it's correct. Condensation polymerisation doesn't always produce water, so you can't really have that as a general equation. Some can have methanol as a product.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Continuum said:
I don't think it's correct. Condensation polymerisation doesn't always produce water, so you can't really have that as a general equation. Some can have methanol as a product.
lol chemistry olympiad training =O

Anyways...
The question asked for a condensation polymer equation. It doesn't say "give the general equation for a condensation polymerisation reaction".
So, they basically chose one example, ie. glucose --> cellulose.
Your example is incorrect anyway, I think. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you can't have 2 alcohols forming a condensation polymer. I've only seen alcohol/alkanoic acid as an example.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
minijumbuk said:
lol chemistry olympiad training =O

Anyways...
The question asked for a condensation polymer equation. It doesn't say "give the general equation for a condensation polymerisation reaction".
So, they basically chose one example, ie. glucose --> cellulose.
Your example is incorrect anyway, I think. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you can't have 2 alcohols forming a condensation polymer. I've only seen alcohol/alkanoic acid as an example.
Yeah, sorry, I got lost and forgot that we weren't looking for a general equation.

The last part of your post doesn't make sense though. I said that methanol could be formed from a condensation polymerisation reaction, rather than water. How did you discern that I was saying you could have '2 alcohols forming a condensation polymer'? What I said and what you thought I said are way off.

Just as a side note, I didn't learn this from Olympiad. Olympiad training finished ages ago.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Continuum said:
Yeah, sorry, I got lost and forgot that we weren't looking for a general equation.

The last part of your post doesn't make sense though. I said that methanol could be formed from a condensation polymerisation reaction, rather than water. How did you discern that I was saying you could have '2 alcohols forming a condensation polymer'? What I said and what you thought I said are way off.

Just as a side note, I didn't learn this from Olympiad. Olympiad training finished ages ago.
Sorry, I was addressing the OP in the last part of my post xD
Forgot to quote OP xD Only the "lol chemistry olympiad training =O" bit was directed at you =P

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
minijumbuk said:
Sorry, I was addressing the OP in the last part of my post xD
Forgot to quote OP xD Only the "lol chemistry olympiad training =O" bit was directed at you =P
O ok. :hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)