Geography or Extension Maths? (1 Viewer)

the leader

HSC
Howdy y'all, I'm having a bit of a dilemma:

I'm trying to decide between studying Geography or Ext1 Maths - they're at the same time on the timetable (there's only one of each geography and ext) and I was thinking of ditching 3 unit when we get to swap classes (in about 4 weeks).

Geography was my best subject last year; I came 1st in the grade, and it was my best SC subject as well (I got a 96); but I am worried that I will be selling myself short if I do 2U maths as I know I am capable of extension 1.

So what do we think? My other subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Society n Culture, Adv. English and SOR.

Thanks in advance :D

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Knowing that you came 1st in geography, and if you aren't as happy with extension (4 weeks on the course should get you familiarised), I reckon that you should definetly go for geography, I know I would.
You also get to go on excursions for geography, not so much for maths. T_T

the leader

HSC
yeah I guess I've got a couple of weeks to agonise over it (and I don't think i'll be having excursions for any other subject - another tick for geography)

and yes, I do enjoy eating my regurgitated jelly

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I suggest geography. You'll do great in it :)

the leader

HSC
thanks guys for the help

I'm almost sure that I'll switch to Geography - and hopefully kick ass

:D

Dongle

HSC
do extension maths - easier marks. Geo is a bit dodgy to study if u ask me. I got 99 for the SC and i was considering doing it but in the end it seems u have to know quite a bit and keep up with new developments and stuff . MX1 and MX2 are worthwhile and help ur other subjects if u can develop a strong work ethic.

the leader

HSC
Oh geez, now I'm all confused again

Ok, I'm doing physics, does extension help THAT much?

hkgirl

HSC
does SOR counts towards UAI?
how many units (that goes towards UAI) are you actually doing right now?
have you check SAM? and see whether geography will be as helpful in getting your desire UAI or maths ext 1?

i would recommend maths ext1, just because if you are good with 2unit, you can ace maths ext1 with no problem at all, and after all, maths ext1 scales pretty damn good ;)

& i must say, SC and HSC is quite different, i got a band6 for bands in SC but now i'm getting band 3's in maths (year12) so don't underestimate what HSC is about, and SC was quite easy compared to senior work. (not that i'm saying you're crap with geography...)

so i would say, maths ext1 :D

the leader

HSC
yes I'm doing Studies of Religion 1

I used the JUAI seek thingo, and I entered a UAI of 98 and it said (I think the other subject marks stayed about the same) that I would need a mark of 92 for Geo and a 44 for Ext 1

So it really does scale well eh

hkgirl

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Yes, but you should do what you like and you do better at of course, to maximise interest in the subject, which hopefully leads onto effort, which hopefully leads onto better performance.

sorry about SOR, i thought it was SLR for one second, lol my bad.

anyways, that's true what SS said here, but another thing i would like to let you know so you can keep in account too is that..

is the students in the geography class smart & prepared to do a well hsc/uai?
because your class average can influence your hsc/uai outcomes too. so that's very important..
like for me, i do engineering studies, and yes that scales up, but my class average is low & even though i'm topping the class, i'll still get affected.
on the other hand, if students are willing to do maths ext1, that means they are willing to sacrifice to do a good hsc/uai (well i assume so, if not, why bother with maths ext1?) so yeah.

:)

Dongle

HSC
the leader said:
Oh geez, now I'm all confused again

Ok, I'm doing physics, does extension help THAT much?
BTW, don't do MX1 just for the sake of 'helping physics'. MX1 is a very robust 'stand-on-its-own' subject and allows you to lead on to MX2 in Yr 12. There is a bit that may be slightly relevant (projectile motion and simple harmonic crap is studied in MX1 or 2 I believe), but Phys and Maths are largely independent of each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)