George Pell for Pope! (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Lexicographer said:
In any case, he is a very tall man.
I second that wholeheatedly, it's rather scary actually.

my religious views, for reference, are basically

i'm an unbaptised guy who believes in the teachings of jesus, namely, to love they neighbour, i take this literaly, thus, i dont agree on church policies that discriminate against gays/women, because, PERSONALLY, i dont feel that such policies the church has are loving your neighbour

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
townie said:
I second that wholeheatedly, it's rather scary actually.

my religious views, for reference, are basically

i'm an unbaptised guy who believes in the teachings of jesus, namely, to love they neighbour, i take this literaly, thus, i dont agree on church policies that discriminate against gays/women, because, PERSONALLY, i dont feel that such policies the church has are loving your neighbour
Yeah, i was referring to the gay issue

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
Lexicographer said:
What do you know about Pell? Having actually attended discussions on women's issues, as well as meeting him personally, I have no idea where you get that idea.

Perhaps you equate "promoting destructive misinformation and murderous choice" as respect. I see it as a disservice.
Ive met him twice...and heard him speak publically three times. The three times i heard hmi speak publically he was answering questions, all of these times he never actually answered the question directed at him, simply waffled until he felt he had said enough.

He is a very intelligent man....but i can assure u, he wont become Pope...although, i admit, he does have a good sense of humour

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
sped_kid01 said:
Ive met him twice...and heard him speak publically three times. The three times i heard hmi speak publically he was answering questions, all of these times he never actually answered the question directed at him, simply waffled until he felt he had said enough.

He is a very intelligent man....but i can assure u, he wont become Pope...although, i admit, he does have a good sense of humour
I agree he won't be Pope. Even he laughed at the suggestion. As for his addressing the questions...well, yeah, I've seen him do the same. Not nearly as much as most high-profile figures though.

As for the "discrimination against women, gays etc" I believe that it's more a matter of viewing the same words through different filters. The Church's teachings on homosexuality are handed down in a different context to that taken for granted by popular society. The basic assumption in public discussion is that of a world in which there is no God and thus no relevance for "natural law", whereas in the Church the context is very different. Regarding homosexuality specifically I can't say much because I haven't actually looked at any of the writings (my interests lie elsewhere) but I'm just trying to put forward the point that the way Society reads the documents and teachings is very different to the way the Church does.

The same goes for attitudes towards women - whereas Western Society insists that each individual must pursue personal happiness through whatever means necessary, the Church encourages people to work for the good of all. This difference in attitude is especially noticeable in the way society, on one hand, encourages women to pursue personal fulfilment through succesful careers while the Church encourages women to also consider the joy of a family. In no way does the Church say "all women must stay home and have babies and clean for men" - anyone who tries to convince you of this is plainly ignorant - but rather that family life is a choice that has been drowned out and ignored by the culture of greed we now live in.

artfag

Banned
HSC
why don't you start an online petition

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I'd like a hip black gangster pope like everyone else here.
exactly. we need someone with an attitude. and to be more connected with todays yuoth. Everyone knows john paul 2 had trouble with reaching out to yuonger people. A pimped up pope will we a solution to the ever changing world. Fo' shizle

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hopefully Pell can shake the 60 min. interview. It's hard to forget seeing old pompus men get rattled.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SashatheMan said:
why are we getting an old pope again? we need fresh blood. like a pope whos 21 would be excellent.
And have him spend 50+ years in office?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Not to mention have absolutely none of the pastoral, administrative and personal experience to do anything positive with an organisation this large and delicate.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
Not to mention have absolutely none of the pastoral, administrative and personal experience to do anything positive with an organisation this large and delicate.

oh and the conservative pope that will be elected knows what the people want? when he clearly has old fashioned beliefs that are way out of date.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
SashatheMan said:
oh and the conservative pope that will be elected knows what the people want? when he clearly has old fashioned beliefs that are way out of date.
Do u think that the papacy is a democratic institiution or something, the job of the pope is to interpret the Bible and doctrines, if im not mistaken (much like a High Court judge does)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Do u think that the papacy is a democratic institiution or something, the job of the pope is to interpret the Bible and doctrines, if im not mistaken (much like a High Court judge does)
he leads the churches and tells then what to preach about. So he does have influnce on what people learn from religion and if he is old fashioned people are gonna object to that and quit church.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
SashatheMan said:
he leads the churches and tells then what to preach about. So he does have influnce on what people learn from religion and if he is old fashioned people are gonna object to that and quit church.
True some ppl may deceide to quit the church but it may also attract others

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
i think fred nile should become pope, and should transform the vatican into a military force. i would be more than willing to help him out

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
grag balbrady said:
i think fred nile should become pope, and should transform the vatican into a military force. i would be more than willing to help him out
Maybe he should just stick to the militant wing of the Salvation Army

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)