Geostationary Orbits (Q17) (1 Viewer)

jed.hamers

Death to Exams mostly ENG
HSC
YAY. I did basically all the forces mentioned except of about the one being perpendicular. Talked about the allowed angle of re-entry --- when bounces off, burns up etc.

Another one to add to the list is using parachutes to slow it down --- either on the runway, or landing in the ocean.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i think i did ok in this one, i also mentioned the angle of attack, dont know if that's got anything to do with it, but i threw it in as well, since it has to do with re-entry.

Stopsign

HSC
N/A
I only mentioned centripial force is provided by gravitational force and that was all.
I really suck.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i did

Centripetal force is provided by Law of Universal Gravitational attraction
G-forces
Friction forces caused by atmosphere
Forces on impact of landing
Some shit on Newtons laws

joshay

HSC
sja said:
it was specific to the stage where they were orbiting around the earth. the only two forces you had to bullshit about were earth's gravity and centripetal force - stating that velocity is perpendicular to the gravity as it goes around

they didn't ask for the re-entry because it's already been asked in previous years and wanted to expand the questions
Exactly, whoever it was going on about all that crap that DIDN'T have to do with the Q was just going over board. Though its nice to show knowledge, markers don't wanna read pages that don't relate to the question.

angmor

HSC
didnt the question say that the mission involved the craft being in geostationary orbit, and the specifically stated that it was guided back down the Earth? so yes, i think you would have to talk about other forces such as G-forces involved, not just the centripetal force=gravitational attraction relation

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
angmor said:
didnt the question say that the mission involved the craft being in geostationary orbit, and the specifically stated that it was guided back down the Earth? so yes, i think you would have to talk about other forces such as G-forces involved, not just the centripetal force=gravitational attraction relation
i'm jsut thinking
isn't g-forces the forces tht humans feel?

the question asked and i quote it directly:
Analyse the forces acting on this SPACECRAFT during these parts of the mission
hence, no g-forces are felt by the spacecraft? im probably wrong here thoug h. lol

myeewyee

HSC
G-forces are a measure of acceleration. all matter can be accelerated (f=ma)

angmor

HSC
what the above guys' said...g-forces dont have to be felt by astronauts '

aaaazzzz

HSC
myeewyee said:
G-forces are a measure of acceleration. all matter can be accelerated (f=ma)
g-force is used to express the apparent weight of an object in a multiple of the true weight......obviously there is no g-force for the spacecraft....since the acceleration equals to the gravitational acceleration.....
tht is g+a/g=g-g/g=0

angmor

HSC
no actually im pretty sure g-forces are also experienced when reentering the Earth's atmosphere...dunno its in the textbook. they have to minimise the g-forces on astronauts as they reenter earth

andyman20

HSC
This question was fkn gay... I put down..

centripetal force due (Earth's gravitational attraction)
drag force causing spacecraft to lose altitude
g-forces on astronauts in re-entry

Last edited:

Wackedupwacko

HSC
bs for the win.... i think all the forces are, gravity in orbit (slip in the "zero g" feeling) as well centripetal. thrust from rockets to get it into reentry position, air - friction force as it reenters (on top of gravity) g forces experienced is quite large... and i htink i slipped in parachutes creating drag which retards the spacecraft creating a further retarding force.

ze.outlaw

HSC
N/A
RingerINC said:
And during reentry the whole g-forces speel on people getting knocked the fuck out, also gravity.
ahahaha oh I love the way you worded that, I hope you wrote that in the exam! in terms of the physics yes i pretty much agree with you :) but ahaha you are funny

dunno04

HSC
This question is Ghey.
You don't know that they are asking.

well...
Firstly, when orbitting, Centripetal force and Gravitational force are in equilibrium...
so that a velocity is needed to be maintained to keep the orbit

secondly, while re-entering...the optimum angle (5.2-7.2 degrees), Gravity. and weight force (F=mg).

That's what i have written.
=D

myeewyee

HSC
aaaazzzz said:
g-force is used to express the apparent weight of an object in a multiple of the true weight......obviously there is no g-force for the spacecraft....since the acceleration equals to the gravitational acceleration.....
tht is g+a/g=g-g/g=0
Its irrelevant what its used for. What it IS is a measure of acceleration. Quote from wikipedia (yeah not the best source but i'm lazy):

The g is used primarily in aerospace fields, where it is a convenient magnitude when discussing the loads on aircraft and spacecraft (and their pilots or passengers). For instance, most civilian aircraft are capable of being stressed to 4.33 g (42.5 m·s−2, 139 ft/s²), which is considered a safe value. The g is also used in automotive engineering, mainly in relation to cornering forces and collision analysis.
kthx

Wackedupwacko said:
bs for the win.... i think all the forces are, gravity in orbit (slip in the "zero g" feeling) as well centripetal. thrust from rockets to get it into reentry position, air - friction force as it reenters (on top of gravity) g forces experienced is quite large... and i htink i slipped in parachutes creating drag which retards the spacecraft creating a further retarding force.
Exactly what I said. I dunno if they'll pay marks for the parachute thing though

meekzy89

HSC
this question was easy

you didnt have 2 say anything about re-entry as it only asked for WHILE in orbit.

therefore
define geostationary orbit
you could say that the only force acting on the space shuttle is a centripetal force keeping it in orbit.

GRAVITY acts as this centripetal force.

you would then draw a diagram

then you would say something about WEIGHT.
define weight and how even though the astronauts feel weightlessness .. the weight force still exists an cannot be eliminated as they are still within the gravitational field of the planet and therefore experience 'apparent weightlessness'

yep yep.

helper

HSC
N/A
meekzy89 said:
this question was easy

you didnt have 2 say anything about re-entry as it only asked for WHILE in orbit.
Yes, not reading the question normally does make them easier

Question quoted again
Parts of a space mission involve a spacecraft spending time in geostationary orbit and then returning safely to earth

Analyse the forces acting on this spacecraft during these parts of the mission

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)