Get good rankings in a big grade? (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
I go to a huge school. We always do very well in the HSC.

But, I know that rankings are really important.

There are 360 people in my grade.

How the hell can I pull off a good ranking and therefore a decent UAI if there are so many people to compete with? It's not fair! Even if I'm good at a subject there's no way I can come close to getting in the top % because there's too many people that are still way better.

:bomb:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:
I go to a huge school. We always do very well in the HSC.

But, I know that rankings are really important.

There are 360 people in my grade.

How the hell can I pull off a good ranking and therefore a decent UAI if there are so many people to compete with? It's not fair! Even if I'm good at a subject there's no way I can come close to getting in the top % because there's too many people that are still way better.

:bomb:
A big grade doesn't mean you won't get a good ranking. It's not like, there is 360 people in each class you do. Just work your arse for the rest of the year and think that your only competing with yourself. As long as your year is fairly competitive, then you'll be fine, come the actual HSC exams. Worrying about stuff like that, will just reduce your morale and hence make you stress more. What school do you go to by the way?

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

That's pretty big I must say. Just work as hard as you can. And going to a school with a lot of people/with not a lot of people makes no difference

volition

arr.
HSC
gracie007 I don't see what your point here is... Trust me you aren't being disadvantaged purely because you go to a school with a large senior grade.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I guess you could think of it as beating more people. If you put in the effort and get those extra marks, it'll make a big difference in ranks, especially in subjects that the whole year's doing, namely english and partially maths. Don't let the size of your year intimidate you.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Remember that the UAI is a rank. What UAI you receive should not be affected by any factors other than your ability. Although, that is in theory, I think it is a way for you to stop worrying about any sort of disadvatanges you have of being in a larger cohort.

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hey gracie, can't you get a comparison from say last years year 12. Do you know anyone from last years hsc who was say ranked 50th, 100th and 150th in adv english and what thier hsc marked ended up. If you do - post it up as would be interested to see what they got given it is such a large year group. Presume there would be about 80 kids doing std the rest adv.??????????

biggie walls

HSC
Barker is in the top 30 schools im pretty sure, so your school ranking will pull your marks up anyway.. so dont worry!

gracie007

HSC
rockets said:
Hey gracie, can't you get a comparison from say last years year 12. Do you know anyone from last years hsc who was say ranked 50th, 100th and 150th in adv english and what thier hsc marked ended up. If you do - post it up as would be interested to see what they got given it is such a large year group. Presume there would be about 80 kids doing std the rest adv.??????????

Yeah. Hardly any do standard. I know lots from last year I might look into it.

But from everyone's replys I'm not too worried/bothered anymore. So maybe not. :wave:

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hey gracie, can you ask some of last years as it is a really interesting scenario and am sure others would like to know what goes on with big student numbers. Thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)