getting insurance? (1 Viewer)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
ive noticed a few people say they are gonna insure their laptops and room contents and stuff...

does anyone know how to go about it? or what company does good deals for students?

im so clueless :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Thats for the people that are moving away. I wouldn't bother ensuring anything, just don't let it out of your sight and you'll be fine!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm going to get contents insurance for my room because I have a few pricey things e.g. flute, digital camera and I wouldn't be able to afford to replace them if anything happened to them. I was just going to ask about it at the housing office at uni.

alman

i would have thought that the residential colleges (whatever you wanna call them) would already have insurance included...i stand to be corrected..

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i really don't like concept of insurance that much- i rather (instead of paying premiums) just put some money away in a bank account- and then use that as your insurance. coz, remember at the end they've calculated it in such away- that they are gonna b profitable in the end anyways! :D

Ribbon

Originally posted by freaking_out
i really don't like concept of insurance that much- i rather (instead of paying premiums) just put some money away in a bank account- and then use that as your insurance. coz, remember at the end they've calculated it in such away- that they are gonna b profitable in the end anyways! :D
well that doesn't really work out that well because to insure your stuff for $60 000 (which is av general household contents... just your room you are looking at less but most companies set a minimum of 30 or 40k) you put away a premium of $250 (approx) per year. If your house and all your stuff burns down in the first year and you are banking the money and not just insurring your stuff you only have $250 to replace $60 000 worth of household items.

If your house burnt down after 240 years of having put the $250 premium in the bank you would have the full $60 000 (this of course, is not including fees, interest ect... my maths isn't *that* good)

They arn't profitable off the one person covering thier own costs of claiming insurance, they are profitable off thousands of customers paying premiums, and only a small minority of them actually making a claim.

I am living in share accomodation and they already had contents insurance which covers all my stuff in my room anyways...

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
haha freaking-out got shut down

but yes, insurance is a form of gambling. my uncle used to know a guy who dived with sharks for a living and couldn't get life insurance, so instead he went to a bookie every year and bet that he would get injured by a shark to the point of needing to go to hospital. The bookie made the odds. He lost every year, but had he actually been injured, the bookie's payout would have been substantial.

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Ribbon
well that doesn't really work out that well because to insure your stuff for $60 000 (which is av general household contents... just your room you are looking at less but most companies set a minimum of 30 or 40k) you put away a premium of $250 (approx) per year. If your house and all your stuff burns down in the first year and you are banking the money and not just insurring your stuff you only have $250 to replace $60 000 worth of household items.

If your house burnt down after 240 years of having put the $250 premium in the bank you would have the full $60 000 (this of course, is not including fees, interest ect... my maths isn't *that* good)

They arn't profitable off the one person covering thier own costs of claiming insurance, they are profitable off thousands of customers paying premiums, and only a small minority of them actually making a claim.

I am living in share accomodation and they already had contents insurance which covers all my stuff in my room anyways...
i'm not talking abt. those important insurances- but stuff like "laptop insurance" is really going a bit far i reckon.

Ribbon

I would assume insurance for single, high value, roaming items works the same way, proportionate to value and risk... The premium wouldn't be more than $100 p/y (though this is a total guess based on the fact it is lower value than entire household contents but much higher risk) and it would still work the same way... if you put $100 away every year, and lost your laptop in the first year you would still only have $100 to replace a $3000 laptop (if you went new for old, as most insurance schemes are, the depretiation wouldn't be valid)...

I do agree though that owning a $3000 laptop (or just one that has a high enough value to need to insure) is going a bit far... if I was going to bring a laptop to uni I would buy a shit old (or possibly hot, whatever) $100 laptop and copy all my work over to my computer everynight... that way if it gets stolen/lost/broken you don't loose so much work & money...

Ribbon

lol melbournian... that reminds me of the point in 'the man who sued god' where his case got stuffed up because the lady went crazy and insured everything....

Must've been a tricky prescription if they were expensive enough to ensure...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
When I had laptops at school, I claimed on insurance atleast 3 times, however they were for breakages not theft (ie. when I dropped the laptop, when the screen broke etc). Insuring a laptop is a good idea, I used to have everything of mine insured, mobile phone, snowboards, bike etc.
so how much would it have costed u if u didn't insure it?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
No idea, but the insurance was through the school. Like there is this company down here called Computerlec, who arranges all the laptops in schools and organises an underwriter for the insurance policies.
yeah, i wanted to know, coz i wanted to c how much money u would've ended up paying if u didn't have insurance!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Can anyone give me the name of an insurance company that will insure laptops/ccontents of bedrooms in share apartments. Every one that my parents have rung won't..... I really need insurance!!!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I asked at the housing office and they didn't know.... I really feel like I need insurance with the stuff I have......

Any other ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)