Getting into Classical, help? (1 Viewer)

corro

HSC
interested in getting into classical musical but have no idea at all where to start if anyone could point me in the direction would be greatly appreciated

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
corro said:
interested in getting into classical musical but have no idea at all where to start if anyone could point me in the direction would be greatly appreciated
well it depends on what you are after really.

if you want like really sort of dramatic try someone like rachmaninoff

prokofiev is good for contemporaryish, often militiaristic and dissonant kind of stuff

i also love debussy. "girl with the flaxen hair" is beautiful. his pieces are atmospheric and moody etc.

if you want strict, rigid, typically classical, try composers like mozart and haydn.

lthughes

HSC
If you get into classical music, Beethoven's moonlight sonata is a must, as is his 5th and 9th symponies. Chopins Impromtu is C minor is one of my fav pieces and is also a must, also download ron thals version of it on guitar it goes off.

After that some vivaldi and mozart will be perfect and later on some bach

corro

HSC
thanks to those who gave valid suggestions, will definitely look into them

Just Click It

HSC
FranzFerdinand said:
Johann Sebastian Bach.
People who havn't had much experience with pre-modern music generally find it difficult to understand what Bach is trying to write about. To my mum and dad, baroque is usually pretty boring because it generally doesn't change dynamic (or it isn't supose to...), it's harmonically very very predictible (like you know what will happen next 9/10 times) and... other reasons...

But agreed lthughes. Beethoven's moonlight sonata is <3... for experienced or inexperienced.

Corro, if you want to really know what "classical" (including renaissance to neo-romantisicm) really is, I suggest you pick up an instrument (if you havn't already).

corro

HSC
played piano up until 6th? 7th? 8th? not sure, i think 7th grade music, but that was back in year 8-9ish? so any skill or knowledge i had about music has been long gone (2nd year uni now) so looking to see if i can get back into it at least at first in the listening sense..

tbh, currently prefer to listen to the more modern classical music.. what an oxymoronic term or well seems it.. i like the more dramatic elements but by the same token still like the old stuff but yeah, really had no idea what to look for in terms of respected artists so thanks for everyones help

Mr Lovepony

HSC
Rachmaninov, Chopin, Prokofiev. That's what I like anyway. I got into classical music by listening to some pieces by all the composers that my friends suggested. Personally I'm not a big fan of Beethoven but god, moonlight sonata <3

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Mr Lovepony said:
Rachmaninov, Chopin, Prokofiev. That's what I like anyway. I got into classical music by listening to some pieces by all the composers that my friends suggested. Personally I'm not a big fan of Beethoven but god, moonlight sonata <3
i love prokofiev.

libertine said:
have you heard tres anime by debussy?

its my favourite
thats a mvt. like the tempo? which piece? the finale of violin sonata in g?

corro

HSC
Just Click It said:
Corro, are you into symphonies, sonatas, piano trios, string quartettes, concerto, folk, film music (e.g. lotr), solo work, or whatever else?
symphonies, piano, string, film :p

sigh, im not so good at narrowing this stuff down

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
contemporary aus pianist - sonny chua.
ps. you like contemporary??

toccata op. 11 - sergei prokofiev.
DL IT NOW.

sheer brilliance.

corro

HSC
*downloads*

and yes i do seem to like contemporary

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
<3 mozart

<3stravinsky

<3 gustav holst HELLO THE PLANETS <3 jupiter the bringer of jollility

im seeing that at the opera house

seriously im really proud of you guys.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
How exactly do you get yourself into the mood for classical music? Cause I was just listening to Muse, then came upon this thread, Windows has a sample of Beethoven No 9. and I dunno, it's just very pouncy. Unless you're already in the mood for it I don't get how you can just listen to it. I guess I prefer the more 'popular' tunes, I wouldn't mind going to a concert featuring music from movies, games or anime though. It's just, the music isn't very aurally stimulating. Like some parts of it are more enjoyable than others. Evanescence - Imaginary has a great mix of conflicting instruments, in fact, it's the reason I prefer Evanescence to pure classical music, which in most instances is rather boring.

nitro.vo

HSC
The london Orchestra played various pink floyd songs. its REALLY good. you dont have to be a pink floyd fan to like it, it just sound so beautiful.

check it out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)