Getting into medicine (1 Viewer)

Benjimange

HSC
Hello.

I am in an unusual (i think) situation. I want to study medicine at university but i am 25 and have a degree in education.

My UAI, from 2002, is unfortunately no where near sufficient. I had a tough year at home, and my priority at the time was my sport, none of which changes the fact that i did rubbish at school.

I am wondering if there are alternative pathways into medicine? I have had a look, but most sites seem to give rather ambiguous information.

Should i go back and do my HSC again? If so where? TAFE? School?
Are there bridging courses?
Am i wasting my time?

I am aware that medicine is an extremely competitive degree, and i wouldnt ask if i didnt think i could do the work. Id like to think you can get a second chance if you really want something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ashllis92

HSC
Hello.

I am in an unusual (i think) situation. I want to study medicine at university but i am 25 and have a degree in education.

My UAI, from 2002, is unfortunately no where near sufficient. I had a tough year at home, and my priority at the time was my sport, none of which changes the fact that i did rubbish at school.

I am wondering if there are alternative pathways into medicine? I have had a look, but most sites seem to give rather ambiguous information.

Should i go back and do my HSC again? If so where? TAFE? School?
Are there bridging courses?
Am i wasting my time?

I am aware that medicine is an extremely competitive degree, and i wouldnt ask if i didnt think i could do the work. Id like to think you can get a second chance if you really want something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You don't actually need to do undergrad med, with your education degree you can do a grad entry degree providing that you gpa/wam is high enough, then you sit gamsat go to an interview and hope to get in!
if your gpa/wam isnt high enough then resitting the HSC is probably a good idea or doing first yer of another degree (science or something... doesnt really matter) getting a killer gpa/wam and using that to apply to undergrad med... youve still got plenty of options! good luck!

Benjimange

HSC
Thanks ashllis92.
Unfortunately my GPA would not be sufficient. I basically just did enough to get by in education because i did it for all the wrong reasons without ever being passionate about it.
What would your advice be on the other two alternatives?
If i were to redo my HSC would i need to do 2 years? Where would you recommend i do it. As a 25 year old i would obviously feel a little out of place at school, but if it increases my chances of a good score?! TAFE would be ok, but how does the scaling etc affect this?
If i were to do a year of science for example, what would the expectations be to gain entry into medicine?

ashllis92

HSC
Thanks ashllis92.
Unfortunately my GPA would not be sufficient. I basically just did enough to get by in education because i did it for all the wrong reasons without ever being passionate about it.
What would your advice be on the other two alternatives?
If i were to redo my HSC would i need to do 2 years? Where would you recommend i do it. As a 25 year old i would obviously feel a little out of place at school, but if it increases my chances of a good score?! TAFE would be ok, but how does the scaling etc affect this?
If i were to do a year of science for example, what would the expectations be to gain entry into medicine?
If you were to redo the HSC, where you did it would be irrelevant, the school or TAFE you go to doesn't matter, it's your rank within that institution and the marks you get in your external exams that are important. You don't seem very keen on the idea of school so maybe TAFE is the way to go but some people do find that the school environment pushes them and are driven by competition, it just depends whether TAFE or school are going to motivate you more to work hard.
You would need to do two years I think because it's so long since you did your HSC most of the courses would have changed, the extra year would also be good to ease you back into hard study before it starts to matter in year 12.
If you wanted to do one year of a science degree, UMAT and interview you would need a good average (read: distinction average +). I'm not sure if the universities would take your previous study into account so it's probably worth contacting the individual uni's before you start this to make sure you're not wasting a year... the only uni's which do undergrad med in NSW are UNSW (which goes 50:50 UAI/GPA if you've started a degree), UWS and UNCLE.
If you were to take this path, you would need to sit the UMAT in about late June as well as submitting seperate applications to each of the uni's.
Another choice you have is to do a complete degree and then use your new GPA to apply for gradate entry med.
As far as times for each of these goes
HSC + undergrad med
2+5-6 = 7-8 years
1 year of bachelor + undergrad med
1+ 5-6 = 6-7 years
bachelor + graduate entry med
3+ 4 = 7 years
hope this helps!

Benjimange

HSC
Thanks again ashllis92.

I fished up my GPA and it was 4.48, which i assume is far too low. I wish id done some work now!

It would seem that based on the information you have provided that the best route to take would be a 3 year degree followed by the postgraduate entry. Presumably i can do any degree at any university? What sort of GPA would i need to aim for and what sort of marks does it entail? Is the post-grad/gamsat option harder or easier or neither?

I thank you very much for the quality and promptness of your replies. I apologise for being so ignorant on these subjects.

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
You can do any degree but it would probably be wise to choose one of a science base if you are a little rusty - it would also help with preparation for the gamsat.

a gpa of 5.5 is about a good guide, but it might be easier to achieve in certain courses.

You should check out the wiki on medstudentsonline, theres a lot of info there regarding graduate entry there!

ashllis92

HSC
Thanks again ashllis92.

I fished up my GPA and it was 4.48, which i assume is far too low. I wish id done some work now!

It would seem that based on the information you have provided that the best route to take would be a 3 year degree followed by the postgraduate entry. Presumably i can do any degree at any university? What sort of GPA would i need to aim for and what sort of marks does it entail? Is the post-grad/gamsat option harder or easier or neither?

I thank you very much for the quality and promptness of your replies. I apologise for being so ignorant on these subjects.

No probs, you're welcome!

Benjimange

HSC
Thanks Revacious.
My science is definitely rusty, however im not sure what i would do with a science degree if i didnt get into medicine. Do you think i could do a management degree for example, and try to fit in some extra study, maybe a tafe course or something to bring my chemistry, biology etc up to scratch? I understand gamsat is pretty intense?
Also, is it true that a lot of graduates into medicine have masters/phd's in other fields? Intimidating!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Have you considered just enrolling in a Science degree? You probably don't need to re-sit the HSC if you decide to apply for a general BSc. You can do one year of Science and ty to get as high a WAM/GPA as possible, then apply for a transfer into undergraduate Medicine provided you also sit the UMAT the same year. I think this is a better option than trying to do the HSC, which is 2 years and hope that you will get a UAI/ATAR of 99+, high UMAT score and make it into medicine.

Alternatively, if you don't make it after completing your first year of your science degree, just finish your BSc and go for graduate medicine. You will need to sit the GAMSAT and have a relatively good GPA/WAM.

Whilst you may not be too familiar with scientific areas and may prefer to do something else, you are going to have to learn 1st year chemistry if you are doing to attempt GAMSAT. I think a science degree may be the best way to go.

And no, not too many students entering graduate medicine have PhDs. I certainly wouldn't want to go into Med once I get my PhD. :D

lifequest

HSC
I don't think resitting the HSC will be a good idea. I know I studied with numerous tutors since I was about 7 years old till year 12 in order to achieve a somewhat decent ATAR/ENTER.

Even with about 8-9 hours study a day, I doubt that would catch you up to those who have been studying for 10 years at an average of 4-5 hrs a day (increasing to 7-8hrs/day during year 12). 2 Years is just too short.

Since your GPA wasn't too great, I think the best option would be to apply for a science base degree at any university and study as hard as you can. Once you reach the required minimum 5.5, do the GAMSAT and apply. With a good enough GAMSAT, you'll get your interview and away you go!

Note that interviews are held in a wide variety of styles and a lot do not just involve a nice little chat about how passionate you are about the course. Many involve "test stations".
For instance, a picture of a portrait of an old man is shown. Q: What is this person feeling? (Answers saying: sad, happy, tired, excited etc. will get you low low low marks. You need to come up with some elaborate answer. "He's feeling mournful from a recent loss of something precious to him in addition to the years taxing his physical health").

I believe that it is never too late to pursue your passion. Work hard enough and you will make it. Just note that it is a long and arduous road. Best of luck.

Benjimange

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. Just a few more things... sorry:

You can do one year of Science and ty to get as high a WAM/GPA as possible, then apply for a transfer into undergraduate Medicine provided you also sit the UMAT the same year.
I dont really understand this part; Am i only eligible to transfer to medicine if im doing a science course? What sort of gpa would i need?
Im not that keen to do a science course other than medicine, i think id do better in commerce or something (gpa wise). Idealy id like to do a commerce/management degree, work really hard and sit the umat in the first year, and if i fail just go for the gamsat after 3.

and:

Once you reach the required minimum 5.5, do the GAMSAT and apply. With a good enough GAMSAT, you'll get your interview and away you go!
Does this mean that because i already have a degree i can apply as soon as my GPA is above 5.5? Or do i have to see out the degree?

bio_nut

HSC
Just remember that the GAMSAT assumes a scientific background. People from other degrees do get in, but you're going to have to do a lot of extra work as well as maintaining that GPA.

lifequest

HSC
It is EXTREMELY difficult to prove you have an interest in Med during the interview if you aren't even willing to do a science course as the undergrad. I'm sure it is possible, but those are rarities.

You're already in a disadvantaged position, I strongly recommend a science base degree if you are that keen to get into med.

bio_nut

HSC
That's not true about the interview. In fact, they encourage people to take what will gain them the best GPA, and it often works favourably having differing interests. The fact that a person could gain just as good a GAMSAT score whilst coming from a non science background shows a hell of a lot of interest.

It's just about how much harder you're willing to work, and is an extra pressure. Shrug.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. Just a few more things... sorry:

I dont really understand this part; Am i only eligible to transfer to medicine if im doing a science course? What sort of gpa would i need?
Im not that keen to do a science course other than medicine, i think id do better in commerce or something (gpa wise). Idealy id like to do a commerce/management degree, work really hard and sit the umat in the first year, and if i fail just go for the gamsat after 3.

and:

Does this mean that because i already have a degree i can apply as soon as my GPA is above 5.5? Or do i have to see out the degree?
Yes ACER will allow you to combine the last 3-4 years of study to get 5.5, etc you need to look this up for yourself on www.pagingdr.proboards61.com and on www.gamsat.acer.edu.au yourself, it is very complicated.

Any degree unless specified by the university: UMelb only allows Biomed grads for grad med.

1. There is no such thing as a transfer to medicine, it is called applying as a non-standard (someone who has a tertiary record): For Undergraduate med you can apply to the following uni's during your first year. They look at your GPA + UMAT at the end of the year and will call you in for a late round interview if you are successful. You will get a late round interview if you are successful, why because they can only get your first year GPA at the end of the year. Uni's that you will be elibible to apply to: Bond, JCU (5.75+), UWA, UWS, UNCLE/UNE, UTAS (has tough prereq). You will need min 5 (only for UNCLE/UNE)-rest 5.5+

Universities that you can apply to but prob won't make it into: UNSW, U.adel Since they look at your ATAR/UAI or have other specific requirements. You have also been excluded from Monash and other provisional offer schemes because of your tertiary record.

For grad medical courses at: Umelb, UQ, Usyd, ND (Freemantle), ND (Sydney), UWA, Flinders, Deakin, ANU, UOW.

You will need GAMSAT and a GPA of above >5.5. I recommend you look into GAMSAT now as many of your questions can be cleared up by a bit of research. All of them allow you to have any undergrad degree except for Umelb. You should have completed your degree or be in your final year before sitting GAMSAT. Despite this many people sit it at the beginning of their 2nd year of uni as a test or trial run.

Last edited:

Benjimange

HSC
Thanks Wooz, you have cleared it up a lot.

Just so i can be perfectly clear about it, in applying as a non-standard the university will take into account my umat result and my first year GPA (preferable for me as my previous GPA was relatively poor)? So i can do any degree, get a high GPA and do well in umat, and get an interview in my first year?! Do you think a university is more or less likely to take someone in this position?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Yes for undergrad, most unis will only look at your current first year degree GPA. It really depends on the uni. JCU, UWA, UTAS etc have limited spots for non-standards. Whilst universities such as UNCLE/UNE, UWS, Bond don't discriminate against non-standards in the number of seats or any other way. You have the exact same UMAT requirements as other applicants also once you get an interview your in the same boat. the interviewers won't know a think about you except for your name on your name tag, etc.

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
note that gamsat science test portion assumes knowledge of 1st yr uni chem, 1st yr uni biology, HSC level physics.
Having said this, apparently there are people that have got doen well enough in gamsat to get into grad medicine without studying 1st yr uni chem, 1st yr uni biology nor done too much self study on these subjects .
Methinks, these are the naturally very intelligent persons .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)